• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Small NYC Kitchen Reno 2017

weinoo

I like the way you wrapped the subway tile around on the left side of the window. And the pegboard on the other side is a terrific use of space. Handy storage! Overall, that kitchen looks to have an amazing amount of varied storage. I bet you are going to be happy working in there! 

I also really like the flooring in your shower. A larger walk-in shower is so much more convenient than a tub/shower combo, in my book.

Edited by FauxPas
to correct typo (log)
  • Like 2

We have butcher block on some counters and so do friends of ours who used the same designer.  We both used a product that is combination of bees wax and food grade oil.  We rubbed it down every day almost until the wood turned a much darker colour.  It is well sealed but still requires attention on a regular basis.

Beautiful kitchen.  Wishing you many happy hours in there.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

We have butcher block on some counters and so do friends of ours who used the same designer.  We both used a product that is combination of bees wax and food grade oil.  We rubbed it down every day almost until the wood turned a much darker colour.  It is well sealed but still requires attention on a regular basis.

Clapham's?  I use it on my soapstone counter and my wooden bowls.  Great stuff.  

Cheers,

Anne

5 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Beautiful kitchen.  Wishing you many happy hours in there.

Thank you.  I use both mineral oil and the combo product when I feel it needs it - I actually warm the beeswax stuff up first before applying it.

4 hours ago, FauxPas said:

@weinoo, what kind of fridge is that? 

It's actually a Kitchen Aid and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We had an Amana for a dozen years or so, and it never let me down, so I stuck with that line.

Significant Eater does not cook. She boils water. Sometimes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 hours ago, FauxPas said:

I like the way you wrapped the subway tile around on the left side of the window. And the pegboard on the other side is a terrific use of space. Handy storage! Overall, that kitchen looks to have an amazing amount of varied storage. I bet you are going to be happy working in there! 

I also really like the flooring in your shower. A larger walk-in shower is so much more convenient than a tub/shower combo, in my book.

Thanks. It was all about the storage, because I have what some might think is too much stuff!

The flooring in the shower does look great - and this evening I will take my first shower in there!  It's the same as what is used to cover the bench and the threshold, except in 2x2 mosaic. The mosaic on the shower walls drove the tile guys nuts. They must've done certain areas 4 times over...I imagine the prep of the walls was less than perfect, but in the end, even that looks good.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

10 hours ago, weinoo said:

The mosaic on the shower walls drove the tile guys nuts. They must've done certain areas 4 times over...I imagine the prep of the walls was less than perfect, but in the end, even that looks good.

It's hard to see the actual design, but I did admire, and wonder, about the shower walls. Can you explain more about that design/process? 

7 hours ago, FauxPas said:

It's hard to see the actual design, but I did admire, and wonder, about the shower walls. Can you explain more about that design/process? 

For the shower/bathroom floor, we used this...Opus tile, 2" x 2".

The shower surround is Cumulus stack tile, 3/8" x 2". The design is stacked, to go along with the stacked subway tiles (4.25" x 12.75")  in the rest of the bathroom.  And the grout lines line up pretty well all the way through.

Kitchen subway is 4.25" x 8.5".

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, kayb said:

A beautiful job, all the way around. I know you will enjoy it for many years.

The biggest enjoyment is when he sells his apartment.

The new kitchen will add a lot more to the sale price, a lot more then what he paid for the renovation.

dcarch

20 hours ago, dcarch said:

The biggest enjoyment is when he sells his apartment.

The new kitchen will add a lot more to the sale price, a lot more then what he paid for the renovation.

dcarch

Never plan on selling (why would we leave NYC, with everything we need minutes away (walking or ordered in) and our own little NORC?), so we plan on enjoying it in situ. 

18 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Is that a wooden bench in the shower?

The bench is constructed of Durock, sealed with some stuff that's used on the lining of pools, and covered with big sheets of the same tile used on the floor,  with the edge eased. Originally, the plan was to do a floating, wall-mounted bench, but the wall wasn't going to have anything to do with that!

I should say the bench is framed in wood, constructed of Durock, etc. etc.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

12 minutes ago, weinoo said:

A NORC is a Naturally Occurring Retirement Community, first investigated in Boston (I think).

NORC

In Madison, Wisconsin, actually. And the first NORC program was in NYC, at Penn South Houses, in Chelsea.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

This is so great and I couldn't be happier if it were my own. I look forward to seeing all the fabulous meals you prepare!

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett