• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Small NYC Kitchen Reno 2017

weinoo

On 11/28/2017 at 12:07 PM, Porthos said:

That is a beautiful wall of storage. Will your coffee station be in the counter in the middle?

Yes, that's where I'm hoping to put siliva and rocky.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 9/7/2017 at 5:22 PM, weinoo said:

I've budgeted for it to be a nightmare.

As I mentioned on September 7th...and here's an update:

Today is the 3-month anniversary of the start of our reno.  Things are moving along slowly, as contractors (and owners) were waiting for a couple of things to arrive from far away (a really cool bathroom shower ceiling light, and the bathroom vanity/sink combo from Duravit). Also, there were at least 10 week days on which our buildings allowed no work to be done because of various holidays - and I think one elevator emergency, which forced work to be cancelled. And no work is allowed on weekends.

The vanity/sink finally arrived 11 weeks after the order was placed - and it was damaged somewhere along the way, so it cannot be accepted for delivery. The vendor has found a very similar unit in Georgia - hopefully, that unit will arrive next week in perfect condition.  It's slightly larger (2" width), but it still fits into the design.

The ceiling light, ordered about 8 weeks ago (from a company called Bega), has not arrived.  We are being told there are production issues, which is probably a polite way to say something is screwed up somewhere along the supply chain. I've ordered a different ceiling light for the shower, which will arrive today, and we're just going to use it, as no one can say when the production issues on the Bega will be solved.

Due to unforeseen circumstances (or just a screw-up in ordering), they ran out of kitchen backsplash tiles, before finishing the kitchen backsplash.  Hopefully, these tiles are in stock and can be picked up today.

The custom cabinet and drawer fronts are in an expedited order status, and we will have them "soon."

Everything that I ordered personally (butcher block for a portion of my counter, stainless shelves, rail system from Rosle, stainless pegboard, etc. etc.) is here and just waiting to be installed.  Memo to self - I'm a better project manager than the project manager who is being paid.

We can move back in once we have a functioning bathroom if all we're waiting for is cab fronts. Still keeping fingers crossed to be done by year-end. 

On 9/7/2017 at 5:22 PM, weinoo said:

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 6
  • Sad 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@weinoo

you've got a lot more Fortitude , Intestinal or Not ) than I might have.

Deep Allergies to Contractor i have as Ive had very bad luck with this.

I know there are good ones out there  But Ive not had the deep pleasure of meeting them myself.

• Like 3

Well, when you think about it, these problems are really nothing compared to the world's, or even our little portion of it writ large!

The backsplash tiles are fortunately in stock in Nemo's warehouse in Jamaica, Queens. I'll  pick up the bloody tiles today myself.

I'm less aggravated with the contractors than I am with a few vendors and our architect/designer/project manager team - all one and the same. They did a a great job with drawings, the DoB, etc., but they're, in my opinion, not great project managers.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I found during our kitchen reno that I had to ride herd on the group every day - that is, every day that they showed up.  They gave new meaning to the phrase "independent contractor".  In the end, I had to withhold a significant amount of money (the final payment) to get them to come back in with the last switchplate cover, since they'd ordered the wrong size/shape in the first place.  What was estimated to be a 3-week job, IIRC, took more like 4 months counting the weeks of waiting for someone to come back with the proper cover.  There were also some misread plans that led to a counter 2" shorter than I'd intended on the kitchen island.  (That actually worked out for the good, due to passageway clearance issues, but I was irritated at the time.) That said, their work was excellent, and we love the result. We've used those same guys since then for window replacement and siding repair.

Hang in there, weinoo.  It'll get done, and you'll love it. As others have said, you have my admiration for your fortitude!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

Still keeping fingers crossed to be done by year-end. 

Oh, I hope this works out! Maybe things will pick up now.  :)

We had a big reno a few years ago where we had to be out of one house for almost five months, but that included raising the entire single story house and building a new lower level including a 2-bdrm suite (with kitchen and bath, of course) as well as some significant renos to the upper level (added a large deck and stairs, gutted and redid main bath, all new flooring and paint throughout, new kitchen countertops and appliances, custom built-ins, electrical updates, new water line, etc). The lot had to be significantly re-contoured to accommodate the work and bring the house level with the roadway. All new siding, new gutters and drainpipes, new driveway and more landscaping. Many other details, some too mundane to mention.

A measurement error meant we could not place upper main bath shower where we had planned and the resulting changes required removing the original window and replacing it with a large skylight. We hadn't anticipated having to replace the siding. Once that decision was made, we should have had the other upper windows replaced as they were not terrific. After the new siding was on, we went ahead and replaced them anyway - at a much higher cost, of course. 

The original time estimate for the job was three months. It took longer, but it was pretty involved! Still, at the time it was annoying not knowing when we could move back in. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FauxPas said:

The original time estimate for the job was three months. It took longer, but it was pretty involved! Still, at the time it was annoying not knowing when we could move back in. 

A job like that here, with these same conditions, would probably take 5 years.

At the beginning, I was quoted 3 months, but with a wink I was told they could be done "much quicker."

Turns out there were no tiles to be found anywhere in any warehouses here.  They are special ordered from the main supply place in Texas. I asked how much it would be to get them here quickly, like in 2 or 3 days, and was told $495 for that expedited shipping.  I didn't think that was a great bargain for $100 worth of tiles, so they'll be here when they get here.  And my inexpensive light for the ceiling in the bathroom, which is nowhere near as nice as the one originally ordered, was delivered today...it'll have to do, I suppose.  Once the bathroom is completed, and the kitchen is put together except for the missing tiles, we can actually move back in.

Still shooting for prior to year end.  And yes, everyone is still owed a lot of money, as one of the payments is due when tiling is complete, and another payment is due when cabinetry is complete.  The final payment, 15%, is when the whole damn job is done

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

A job like that here, with these same conditions, would probably take 5 years.

OMG! :shock:  xD

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Turns out there were no tiles to be found anywhere in any warehouses here.  They are special ordered from the main supply place in Texas. I asked how much it would be to get them here quickly, like in 2 or 3 days, and was told $495 for that expedited shipping.  I didn't think that was a great bargain for $100 worth of tiles, so they'll be here when they get here.  And my inexpensive light for the ceiling in the bathroom, which is nowhere near as nice as the one originally ordered, was delivered today...it'll have to do, I suppose.  Once the bathroom is completed, and the kitchen is put together except for the missing tiles, we can actually move back in.

Oh no, such a shame that you couldn't find the tiles locally. Too bad Amazon doesn't stock 'em, ha. 

Can you replace that bathoom ceiling light later on with something you like better, perhaps? 

Just now, FauxPas said:

OMG! :shock:  xD

Oh no, such a shame that you couldn't find the tiles locally. Too bad Amazon doesn't stock 'em, ha. 

Can you replace that bathoom ceiling light later on with something you like better, perhaps? 

Yeah - the tiles are only available from the manufacturer.

I think the problem with the bathroom light is that the light we ordered is a complete unit, with the housing an integral part of it.  I suppose it could be done, but it would probably mean cutting through that ceiling again.

Bega 55926_Sub.pdf

• Sad 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

It's not a very good idea to do renovation around this time of the year.

Religious holidays, Thanksgiving, New year, football, ------------------------

Everyone else wants his/hers renovation done before the holidays -----------------------

Businesses need to use up their budgets near the end of the year, tax write offs -------------------

Snow storms can delay your job ------ There was one recent year in NY area, snow storms every other week.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

28 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Around here, one does not choose what time of year renovations are done.  One is lucky to find a decently qualified and recommended contractor who will take a job and then one waits in the queue.  Delays in one job ripple down through the queue.

You can always start over with another contractor but it's the same story.  

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Religious holidays, Thanksgiving, New year, football, ------------------------

Everyone else wants his/hers renovation done before the holidays -----------------------

Businesses need to use up their budgets near the end of the year, tax write offs -------------------

Snow storms can delay your job ------ There was one recent year in NY area, snow storms ever other week.

dcarch

He started 3 months ago!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers,

Anne

1 hour ago, barolo said:

He started 3 months ago!

And @dcarch - those religious holidays were 2 months ago!

Around here, in a coop with 1,700+ apartments, you start as soon as everyone says you can start!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, dcarch said:

Snow storms can delay your job ------ There was one recent year in NY area, snow storms every other week.

dcarch

We did our renovation in DC in 2009.  Massive snow. Columbia Road basically impassable. My contractor was aggravated. I was the project manager. It got done in under 3 months. Using stuff from Home Depot, etc. This job is a little more high end. And I wasn't, at least until now, the project manager.

At this point, I plan on being in everyone's face on a daily basis. What's with people not wanting to do the best job they can?

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 10/29/2017 at 11:57 AM, lindag said:

The plumbing in my home was done with copper pipe and I've had nothing but trouble with it

The hot water runs develop pin holes and I’ve had at least five leaks.  I'm currently waiting for my drywall guy to come and fix this last repair.  The original owner had some of the pipe torn out and replaced with flex but The harder-to-get-to pipe remains.

this is not to say there's anything wrong with copper pipe, I believe that this job was done with poor quality or defective pipe.

In my case, I almost need to keep my plumber on retainer.

The biggest problem with copper pipes is if the plumber does not electrically  isolate the copper pipes from iron pipes (plumbing Code), causing destructive galvanic corrosion.

For the plumber who does isolate the pipes, they sometimes forget to re-ground the electric power wiring to preserve electric ground for your appliances.

dcarch

Something strange with this post ? How did it get here?

Edited by dcarch (log)

3 hours ago, FauxPas said:

That is a nice looking light. I see that Bega's address is in Carpinteria, CA. That's right on the edge of one of the big wildfires burning in California right now. 

It's a really nice light, right?!  And what's going on right now in Cali really didn't have anything to do with my delays.  I think product comes from Germany and other unknown locales, maybe ending up in Carpinteria, before perhaps being shipped to the end user.

And they're claiming they're having trouble with LEDs. So who knows? In any event, a pain in the ass. Basically because had someone said 4 weeks ago they were having these issues, I could've solved stuff another way.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, dcarch said:

The biggest problem with copper pipes is if the plumber does not electrically  isolate the copper pipes from iron pipes (plumbing Code), causing destructive galvanic corrosion.

For the plumber who does isolate the pipes, they sometimes forget to re-ground the electric power wiring to preserve electric ground for your appliances.

dcarch

Didn't we already discuss this once?  

Life o' the party, eh?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Not about your reno - but about project management.

My FIL is in a care facility dying of cancer. He will never return to his home. He has lately started asking about major maintenance issues with the house, replacing the windows, exterior painting, etc. The plan that my DW and her siblings have is to wait until after his passing and see if the house should be sold as-is, the most common way with estate sales, or if the realtor thinks that certain deep maintenance would increase the profit margin. As the retired one who lives nearby, it would fall on me to oversee the contractors who would be doing the work. Since I think the house has too many deep issues (plumbing, electrical is no longer sufficient, etc) I think the as-is would be the best bet. For the moment we are stalling.

With my engineering background I know I can do the administration/oversite of the various contractors, but I would like to put that off until we know that we will not be selling the house as-is.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

9 hours ago, dcarch said:

It is very strange? How did that post got there?

dcarch

I think my copper pipes touched each other inappropriately.

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

Not about your reno - but about project management.

My FIL is in a care facility dying of cancer. He will never return to his home. He has lately started asking about major maintenance issues with the house, replacing the windows, exterior painting, etc. The plan that my DW and her siblings have is to wait until after his passing and see if the house should be sold as-is, the most common way with estate sales, or if the realtor thinks that certain deep maintenance would increase the profit margin. As the retired one who lives nearby, it would fall on me to oversee the contractors who would be doing the work. Since I think the house has too many deep issues (plumbing, electrical is no longer sufficient, etc) I think the as-is would be the best bet. For the moment we are stalling.

With my engineering background I know I can do the administration/oversite of the various contractors, but I would like to put that off until we know that we will not be selling the house as-is.

This sucks, and so sorry to hear. From everything I've ever read, sell the house as-is.  Some minor cosmetic freshen-up might not be a terrible idea, but most people, when they buy a house or apartment, want to do it in their own inimitable style.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

This arrived, and is being given some extra tlc before I let it get installed.

5a2a8c7e6fa0d_2017_12_0704288.thumb.JPG.4db426099c2a317fccf3191e82bb0990.JPG

It's from a woodworking company in Massachusetts, called Sprague Woodworking. Maple, beautiful job they did. Got it when they said I would, just 2 weeks from the date of order until delivery. Quite reasonable.

What does everyone think  - can you over-oil a board?

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 8

Tasty Travails - My Blog

30 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I think my copper pipes touched each other inappropriately.

Tell your architect to check: a) If all pipe hangers and retainers are correctly done, otherwise you will get strange noises inside the walls when pipes expand and contract, in the middle of the night.  b) Tell your architect to check if there are  pipe runs which may require water hammer arrester. 

24 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Maple, beautiful job they did. Got it when they said I would, just 2 weeks from the date of order until delivery. Quite reasonable.

Very beautiful board. Weights a ton. Have your wood shop make a smaller one with matching wood for heavy chopping.

Beautiful project. Worth all the aggravations and $$$.

dcarch

• Like 2

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

This arrived, and is being given some extra tlc before I let it get installed.

5a2a8c7e6fa0d_2017_12_0704288.thumb.JPG.4db426099c2a317fccf3191e82bb0990.JPG

It's from a woodworking company in Massachusetts, called Sprague Woodworking. Maple, beautiful job they did. Got it when they said I would, just 2 weeks from the date of order until delivery. Quite reasonable.

What does everyone think  - can you over-oil a board?

That. Is. Gorgeous!  I hope it gives you a lifetime of pleasure. 

I'm not an authority on this, but as far as I know you cannot over-oil a board.  The excess will simply sit on the surface until you wipe it off.  You'll have wasted a little oil doing that, but you'll know that the wood has enough oil if there's a slight sheen of excess 5 - 10 minutes after oiling.

Edited by Smithy
Clarity (log)
  • Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown