• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Small NYC Kitchen Reno 2017

weinoo

Cabinet installation is going swimmingly...

5a05bdbc24461_2017_11_1004006.thumb.JPG.75e129aa7465f0caa89a3193b0134873.JPG

5a05bddd7a8d7_2017_11_1004008.thumb.JPG.85db6c88d7898cc09710d7eb889bf452.JPG

It's about a 13' run...9' of countertop, with a pantry with pull-outs on either end.

The doors, drawer fronts, and side panels are all going to be custom fit by our contractor. There will also be a shelf in between countertop and bottom of upper cabinets, about 10" deep, I believe.  It will have a channel with dimmable LED lighting.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 13

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

There will also be a shelf in between countertop and bottom of upper cabinets, about 10" deep, I believe.  It will have a channel with dimmable LED lighting.

Nice!  That combination of a bit of open shelving with the closed storage sounds perfect.  The dimmable LEDs sound good, too.  I have under counter fluorescents, with halogen over the sink.  I've been planning to switch them out for LEDs but didn't realize they could be dimmable - that would be even better! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I've been planning to switch them out for LEDs but didn't realize they could be dimmable - that would be even better! 

Not all LEDs are dimmable.

Not all dimmers can dim dimmable LEDs

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

13 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Not all LEDs are dimmable.

Not all dimmers can dim dimmable LEDs

dcarch

Good point.  I have dimmable LEDs (they do seem to be more expensive than the non-dimmable LED bulbs) in most of my ceiling fixtures and was able to install LED-compatable dimmers for them.  So far, I've only researched non-dimmable under-cabinet LEDs so perhaps I won't be able to get a dimmable set up but it's nice to know it may be possible at some future time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

it looks like your shelves in the tall cabinet slide out on tracks

I hope so

My sister talked me into those several years ago

it was well worth it .

Yes, the bottom 4 shelves in both tall pantries are pull-out, full extension.  They're also extra-sturdy pull-outs, with 100 lb. capacity hardware.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 6

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:25 AM, gfweb said:

Copper can have trouble with leaching out metal and weakening over time. IIRC acidic water makes this worse. 

I believe that is true...since I have well water I have it tested regularly and treated to create the proper PH level.  No issues with iron, though.

Edited by lindag (log)

I'm so happy I budgeted 50% more for aggravation...

38468614632_4c9233d0f0.jpg

With the knowledge that happiness is just around the corner (or at least around a month away)...

38468616022_82ffc52b6b.jpg

38468617542_f7281b6274.jpg

And that other little room is coming along too...

38468613262_d51fbcc77a.jpg

I will never, ever again roll my eyes when someone tells me their contractor horror stories! These guys are pretty good, and nice, but still...

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 10

Tasty Travails - My Blog

11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I'm so happy I budgeted 50% more for aggravation...

38468614632_4c9233d0f0.jpg

With the knowledge that happiness is just around the corner (or at least around a month away)...

38468617542_f7281b6274.jpg

And that other little room is coming along too...

38468613262_d51fbcc77a.jpg

I will never, ever again roll my eyes when someone tells me their contractor horror stories! These guys are pretty good, and nice, but still...

Yeah, I feel your contractor pain.  I have some whopper stories, too.  

Love your stove.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Great call on the Wolf - I have been very happy with ours.

I splurged a bit (in the realm of $900 at the time) on LED counter lighting, and I can count on both hands the number of times I have actually used them. 

We use our LED counter lights all the time. For us, it was a great investment.

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

which Wolf is that one ?

The GR304, with a 20" riser and shelf (not installed yet).

We will have LEDs under cabinet and under the shelves on both sides of the range. I don't think you can ever have too much light, and with dimmable ones I should be able to adjust the lights to my unadjustable aging eyes. 

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I am sure they are more cost effective now than when I put them in 5 years ago.

I have a number of recessed LEDS in the ceiling that are perhaps 6-8 inches in front of the cupboards which give me the counter lighting I need.  Perhaps that's why I don't use the under cabinets.

On 10/29/2017 at 11:57 AM, lindag said:

The plumbing in my home was done with copper pipe and I've had nothing but trouble with it

The hot water runs develop pin holes and I’ve had at least five leaks.  I'm currently waiting for my drywall guy to come and fix this last repair.  The original owner had some of the pipe torn out and replaced with flex but The harder-to-get-to pipe remains.

this is not to say there's anything wrong with copper pipe, I believe that this job was done with poor quality or defective pipe.

In my case, I almost need to keep my plumber on retainer.

The biggest problem with copper pipes is if the plumber does not electrically  isolate the copper pipes from iron pipes (plumbing Code), causing destructive galvanic corrosion.

For the plumber who does isolate the pipes, they sometimes forget to re-ground the electric power wiring to preserve electric ground for your appliances.

dcarch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

The biggest problem with copper pipes is if the plumber does not electrically  isolate the copper pipes from iron pipes (plumbing Code), causing destructive galvanic corrosion.

For the plumber who does isolate the pipes, they sometimes forget to re-ground the electric power wiring to preserve electric ground for your appliances.

dcarch

I have a feeling you're a riot at parties.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2017 at 8:49 PM, FauxPas said:

@weinoo, thanks for sharing all this! I can't wait to see the finished product! Work should be complete well before Christmas, yes? 

I know nothing...

My goal has always been,  and remains, the end of the year.

We are waiting for 2 fixtures for the bathroom; one (the vanity/washbasin combo) is coming from Germany, and was ordered over 8 weeks ago. The other, a Bega ceiling light, is coming from Carpinteria, California, and was also ordered quite a while ago. Both are giving me agita.

The countertops were delivered yesterday; one (the 9' long piece) is still here. The other, which has the sink cutout, is back to the shop, because it wasn't cut perfectly. The 3rd piece of countertop is butcher block - I ordered that separately, myself, and I expect it will be here when it is supposed to be here.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 11/18/2017 at 6:41 AM, weinoo said:

That is a beautiful wall of storage. Will your coffee station be in the counter in the middle?

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;