• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Porthos

Porthos

Not about your reno - but about project management.

My FIL is in a care facility dying of cancer. He will never return to his home. He has lately started asking about major maintenance issues with the house, replacing the windows, exterior painting, etc. The plan that my DW and her siblings have is to wait until after his passing and see if the house should be sold as-is, the most common way with estate sales, or if the realtor thinks that certain deep maintenance would increase the profit margin. As the retired one who lives nearby, it would fall on me to oversee the contractors who would be doing the work. Since I think the house has too many deep issues (plumbing, electrical is no longer sufficient, etc) I think the as-is would be the best bet. For the moment we are stalling.

With my engineering background I know I can do the administration/oversite of the various contractors, but I would like to put that off until we know that we will not be selling the house as-is.

Porthos

Porthos

My FIL is in a care facility dying of cancer. He will never return to his home. He has lately started asking about major maintenance issues with the house, replacing the windows, exterior painting, etc. The plan that my DW and her siblings have is to wait until after his passing and see if the house should be sold as-is, the most common way with estate sales, or if the realtor thinks that certain deep maintenance would increase the profit margin. As the retired one who lives nearby, it would fall on my to oversee the contractors who would be doing the work. Since I think the house has too many deep issues (plumbing, electrical is no longer sufficient, etc) I think the as-is would be the best bet. For the moment we are stalling.

With my engineering background I know I can do the administration/oversite of the various contractors, but I would like to put that off until we know that we will not be selling the house as-is.

Porthos

Porthos

My FIL is in a care facility dying of cancer. He will never return to his home. He has lately started asking about major maintenance issues with the house, replacing the windows, exterior painting, etc. The plan that my DW and her siblings have is to wait until after his passing and see if the house should be sold as-is, them most common way with estate sales, or if the realtor thinks that certain deep maintenance would increase the profit margin. As the retired one who lives nearby, it would fall on my to oversee the contractors who would be doing the work. Since I think the house has too many deep issues (plumbing, electrical is no longer sufficient, etc) I think the as-is would be the best bet. For the moment we are stalling.