• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apples and Pesticides

rotuts

Here in México we use Microdyne, which is colloidal silver. I'm definitely trying the baking soda wash, though I don't know how to evaluate how well it works without a lab test. If anyone has any information about the effectiveness of Microdyne vs. baking soda, I'd like to hear about it.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

My husband will no longer eat apples even after I wash them.  He says his throat tightens/swells up, sometimes badly which I attribute to the pesticides.  He can, however, eat peeled and cooked ones, after washing.  I'll keep the baking soda treatment in mind.  Thanks for posting this.

59 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

My husband will no longer eat apples even after I wash them.  He says his throat tightens/swells up, sometimes badly which I attribute to the pesticides.  He can, however, eat peeled and cooked ones, after washing.  I'll keep the baking soda treatment in mind.  Thanks for posting this.

Might be Oral Allergy Syndrome. The allergen for apples is in the peel.

• Like 2

Very Interesting 

of course

should it not be

@ElsieD 

Hub

aster discussing this with 

Zeus

get a decent and For Sure

Organic Apple

One

make sure you are confidant no pesticides were used

the peel there apple

and offer fist the flesh dans le peel

the try some peel

not to much at first

Zeus need to approve of this.

that's what MC says

• Like 1

I read the same article last week. Of course they point out that as good as the baking soda soak was, it did nothing to any pesticides that have migrated into the apple through the peel. Still, it's better results than not doing the soak...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

39 minutes ago, rotuts said:

...get a decent and For Sure

Organic Apple

One

make sure you are confidant no pesticides were used...

Remember that "Organic" doesn't necessarily mean "Pesticide-free". There are some "natural" pesticides that are allowed under "Organic" guidelines. You can Google this subject for more info.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

When I'm washing apples, bell peppers and other produce with relatively sturdy skins I usually use some "dishwashing liquid" (not automatic dishwasher detergent) and rinse well.  (I don't use detergent for delicate things like raspberries.)  I guess I have no way to know if baking soda would be more effective; the dish detergent is very convenient.  One might think that the wax on apple and citrus skins (even the endogenous wax) could trap some substances like pesticides and I always imagine that the mild detergent is increasing my chance of clearing that residue but, really, it's magical thinking on my part--I have no data.  

14 minutes ago, Fernwood said:

When I'm washing apples, bell peppers and other produce with relatively sturdy skins I usually use some "dishwashing liquid" (not automatic dishwasher detergent) and rinse well.  (I don't use detergent for delicate things like raspberries.)  I guess I have no way to know if baking soda would be more effective; the dish detergent is very convenient.  One might think that the wax on apple and citrus skins (even the endogenous wax) could trap some substances like pesticides and I always imagine that the mild detergent is increasing my chance of clearing that residue but, really, it's magical thinking on my part--I have no data.  

I use detergent on my citrus, apples, avocados, and other hard-skinned produce.  Not only for pesticides.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou