• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Including Cookies in Bonbons

Jim D.

I was thinking; you could also make an eggy cookie butter or eggy cookie ganache and use a two-ganache filling if you wanted to get some flavour in but not worry much about the texture.

• 3 weeks later...

does anyone have any recipe/suggestion for a sugar-free or low sugar cookie for a chocolate bar?

I want to decrease the sweetness a bit with the cookie

Edited by hvea (log)

1 hour ago, hvea said:

does anyone have any recipe/suggestion for a sugar-free or low sugar cookie for a chocolate bar?

If you do a search for low-sugar cookies, you will find some ideas. Substituting an artificial sweetener (such as Splenda) will not decrease the sweet taste, maybe even increase it, but some people say it is fine to reduce sugar in a recipe by 25%, though that will affect browning. In searching, I found one cookie recipe (intended for children) that had practically no sugar, but I would not expect great taste. Maybe adding other flavors to the cookie (lemon zest, cinnamon) would help.  You could also look into recipes for shortbread (which is what I often use), which tends to be less sweet.

2 hours ago, hvea said:

How about a Ritz cracker or a pretzel for a bit of salt?

It depends on whether the issue is just sweetness or if carbs matter. If just the former, Ritz and pretzels as mentioned are good, as are corn chips, tortilla chips, and potato chips in chocolate. For cookies specifically, I'm a big fan of doing shortbread, which is often not very sweet, and I always add salt to mine. Or a piece of salty naked pie crust could be very good once enrobed.