• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

On 4/5/2018 at 7:31 PM, pastrygirl said:

have you tried Valrhona Orelys?  It's made with muscovado sugar, so more of a brown sugar flavor compared to the dulce de leche flavor of Dulcey.

"very sensual" https://www.valrhona-chocolate.com/orelys-35-blond-chocolate

Thanks for the Orelys suggestion. I just got a kilo bag and tried it. I'm not sure I am feeling "very sensual," but I do like it (maybe a little sensual). And, of course, you are right, a strong brown sugar flavor. I think it will be perfect for my chocolate chip cookie truffle. And, speaking of that recipe, since Tri2Cook let me know that molasses powder exists, I am going to experiment with making the filling as a gianduja rather than a ganache:  Orelys, pecan paste, chunks of dark chocolate, chopped pecans, molasses powder, and the shortbread bits (no longer at risk from softening from liquid). 

Jim D.

Jim D.

On 4/5/2018 at 7:31 PM, pastrygirl said:

have you tried Valrhona Orelys?  It's made with muscovado sugar, so more of a brown sugar flavor compared to the dulce de leche flavor of Dulcey.

"very sensual" https://www.valrhona-chocolate.com/orelys-35-blond-chocolate

Thanks for the Orelys suggestion. I just got a kilo bag and tried it. I'm not sure I am feeling "very sensual," but I do like it (maybe a little sensual). And, of course, you are right, a strong brown sugar flavor. I think it will be perfect for my chocolate chip cookie truffle. And, speaking of that recipe, since Try2Cook let me know that molasses powder exists, I am going to experiment with making the filling as a gianduja rather than a ganache:  Orelys, pecan paste, chunks of dark chocolate, chopped pecans, molasses powder, and the shortbread bits (no longer at risk from softening from liquid).