• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant awards - Jumping the gun

gfron1

Yesterday Jonathan Gold proclaimed Vespertine to be the top restaurant in LA. I just ate there last week and thought it was amazing, but it's only been open a month or so. Last year a chef in St Louis was a semifinalist for Best Chef, Midwest after having been open only a few months. That restaurant's quality has dropped dramatically in its second year. I know that most of the magazines, and JBF, consider best "New" restaurant to be up to three years old, which to my mindset is smart because it's not about what  you can do one night, but repeatedly over time.

So I'm wondering what other examples are there of chefs and restaurants proclaimed "The Best" a bit too prematurely only to fall and not be so great.

I pay no attention to such claims. It is just the same old - the print equivalent of clickbait on the interwebs. Quite obviously, "best" or "top" is an entirely  subjective opinion. The article say more about the author than the restaurants.

It is just like the Oscars or Grammys. The industry voting for itself.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto