• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great hard-to-find condiments

Pan

Hi, everybody! I'm thinking of starting a business selling great condiments that are hard to find. Do you have any favorite condiments that you have trouble finding near where you live? I'm looking for hot sauces, chili pastes, or other ready-to-use condiments like non-perishable barbecue sauces, salsas and chutneys that aren't mass-produced or normally found in supermarkets, and have a fairly long shelf life until they're opened. Secondarily, I would also be interested in products that can be used in cooking, such as spice rubs or other seasonings. Any information you can give me about the names of products, what they are and what makes them special, the name of the manufacturer and their address or at least the name of the town where they're produced, and their website, if they have one (though if they have no web presence, that's great!) would be really helpful to me in researching more products that could meet my high standards. It doesn't matter what country the items are from; if they're great and don't require refrigeration before opening, I'm interested.

• Like 1

Michael aka "Pan"

I can't find really great, hot horseradish around here (central Kansas).  The stuff they sell at the grocery store is so tame that they might as well call it mayonnaise.

This is my favorite and I can only order it online.    It is HOT and has a great flavor.  

37 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I can't find really great, hot horseradish around here (central Kansas).  The stuff they sell at the grocery store is so tame that they might as well call it mayonnaise.

This is my favorite and I can only order it online.    It is HOT and has a great flavor.  

Got all excited when I saw this as my husband loves hot horseradish which we are hard pressed to find here.  Went to Amazon.ca and naturally, they don't carry it. :(

• Sad 1

Pan! You're back!

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Bhutanese shakam ezay!  It's dried beef bits fried with chile, doubtful you'd be able to source that. 

On a more realistic note, if you're looking for unique small producers around the US that have limited distribution, check out Bear's Breath Ketchup for the Bold, a more savory ketchup alternative.  I had a booth next to the guy at a show earlier this year, it was tasty and unique.  More local PNW companies are  Grimm Bros hot sauces and Mustard & Co.  Grimm's Fire Potion is thicker than tabasco, tomato and vinegar based with scotch bonnet, cayenne, and ghost pepper.  I'm not sure who else is making condiment-type things, but you could check through the Seattle Made website and the roster for the Gobble Up event.  I participate in both.  My friend Melissa at The Kitchen Imp make spice blends and flavored salts and Peek's Pantry are other friends making Thai food and condiments.

http://bearsbreath.com/

http://www.peekspantry.com/products.html

https://www.thekitchenimp.com/

https://www.seattlemade.org/manufacturers/

Edited by pastrygirl
clarity, links (log)

Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions! gfweb, you're right that I'd love to look for products not distributed by Amazon, but I might also consider some that are, because Amazon has a wide selection, whereas my concept would be to sell only a limited number of great products that I've used myself and whose deliciousness I can personally vouch for. Alex, thanks for your welcome back.

I will look into all the products you have recommended, and I'm definitely still interested in any more suggestions people have.

• Like 1

Michael aka "Pan"

Speaking of pepper, lately I've become a huge fan of Vietnamese peppercorns - NYers are fortunate to be able to get it at Kalustyan's (and maybe other places?) but I'm sure most people have never heard of it.

I also found at Kalustyan's a good Malaysian curry paste, made in Long Island City, called Mama Lam's... the owner (a young Malaysian American woman) was there doling out a little bit on rice from a rice cooker...  it was really tasty, and caused me to do what I normally don't and do an impulse buy.... it wasn't cheap though.

21 minutes ago, boilsover said:

I recently learned about and experienced Madagascar Pepper.  It's a revelation, but the damn French hold a near-monopoly I've learned.

I ordered some. I mentioned it on that thread.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Are you interested in spices, too, or just prepared sauces?

You may want to explore things available on other continents for things that may be harder to find in the US. Don't know if you can get this but good in an hot salty Indian fashion

pattu-desi-chutney-280g.jpg

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Prepared sauces are interesting to me, as long as they aren't likely to be used up quickly. So yes, I am interested in particularly great chutneys and mustards.

Kenneth, I'm surprised to hear about a good Malaysian curry paste being made in Queens. Just how much did it cost, if you remember?

Michael aka "Pan"

You might even look at baking treats- cake decorator items like popping candy, star etc shaped sprinkles, candy flowers and cake toppers for example.

im pretty sure very few baking people make their own and I have found some good bulk buys out there.

good luck and keep us in the loop 

• Like 1

Thank you, Cronker. I'm not expecting those items to be among the first products I would carry, but I'll keep them in mind. Where have you found good bulk buys?

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm in Australia, so I'm not sure if you have places like ours, be we have a couple of outlets that stock products that are perfectly good, but perhaps the company has re-badged or changed packaging, and they take all the old stock and sell it dirt cheap.

i got a box of Barilla pasta for something like $10 simply because Barilla had changed the size of the product.

these outlets also buy up stock from companies that have gone out of business, or discontinued a line.  They also do a lot of "close-to-date" items, so you need to be a bit cautious, but smart shoppers know that the "Thousand Year Old Himalayan Pink Salt" isn't really going to expire next week!

5 hours ago, Pan said:

Prepared sauces are interesting to me, as long as they aren't likely to be used up quickly. So yes, I am interested in particularly great chutneys and mustards.

Kenneth, I'm surprised to hear about a good Malaysian curry paste being made in Queens. Just how much did it cost, if you remember?

I think they just started up recently - I had never heard of them until I saw her giving her "demo" in Kalustyan's.  It's a small jar that Kalustyan's sells for I think 6.99 - maybe 5.99 - somewhere around there...  But it seems to be good for at least 4-5 meals - I've used it twice and I'm a little less than halfway through it.  Also, as a NYer, you may be aware that Kalustyan's doesn't really give bargains on many things other than their core spices/rice, etc...

11 hours ago, haresfur said:

My father's favourite German Lion mustard that I never see anywhere

1051_2699_popup.jpg

ETA: Memory-evoking food. Miss you Dad!

Being of German decent I need to clarify that that stuff is vile (allowing for sentimental value, of course) ...

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Being of German decent I need to clarify that that stuff is vile (allowing for sentimental value, of course) ...

I have always considered this a high quality product and the one I have seen most commonly in Germany.  Curious what you find substandard about it.

• Like 1

Pan, I too am delighted to see you back - and with such an interesting store idea!

Here is my current favorite mustard.  I have no idea whether a native German would consider it to be high quality, but it has a nice piquancy that fits our household tastes.  I first found it at a HEB grocery store in Texas; it's now available in a few of our grocery stores.  Amazon also carries it, but at wildly varying prices.

20171027_143515.jpg

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Pan, I too am delighted to see you back - and with such an interesting store idea!

Here is my current favorite mustard.  I have no idea whether a native German would consider it to be high quality, but it has a nice piquancy that fits our household tastes.  I first found it at a HEB grocery store in Texas; it's now available in a few of our grocery stores.  Amazon also carries it, but at wildly varying prices.

20171027_143515.jpg

And a cute 1/4 Liter stein, to boot!

• Like 1