• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Chocdoc Goûte Paris

Kerry Beal

Went back to venue and got more stuff done - then back home to enjoy our purchases 

IMG_7230.thumb.JPG.222bc22a83c0180bb8fe2fd7f9cf1835.JPG

There's baguette and Pouline bread to spread it all on 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 12

Wow, another amazing account/pictorial of another amazing cuisine!

You were in my old stomping grounds for a while -- it made me so envious, in a nice, nostalgic way :) My father used to own an apartment (along with two of his friends/colleagues who also went to Paris frequently for work) around the corner from Poilane and a short walk from the Bon Marche food hall, which had great prepared food for take-out. I also miss all the game meats available at the boucheries there. No one was using the apartment one summer, so I spent about 6 weeks there on my own, and cooked up squab, quail, and other things from the boucherie just for myself, as well as versions of my favorite simple things I'd eaten in the brasseries and cafes I favored at lunchtime, many of which I enjoy now. I still love sandwiches made the French way the best -- baguette (though it seems you cannot get a baguette that truly resembles a French baguette here), butter, just a slice or two of ham and Alpine cheese, and a touch of Dijon.

• Like 6

Forgot to mention that I had a visit from @jmacnaughtan today at Salon - what a treat! He brought along a friend (and a lovely bottle) and they attended my tempering talk. Always nice to have moral support when one talks in front of people. The set up was a bit of a shit show - I heard 'if you had told us what you wanted we would have had it for you' several times - my thought was 'if you had read what I told you that I wanted then you would have had a better chance of having it for me' - but that was wasted thoughts. 

I took an old banner from Premier grinders and flung it over the top to write my little crystal chart on - 'oh no, no. no - look how bad that looks on the other side of the wall - we will get you some double sided tape so it doesn't show on the other side' (which they wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't pointed it out). The tape showed up about 15 minutes after my talk was over and the banner had long since been removed. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Just now, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_7252.thumb.jpg.bf2b521dec0f7c61e8ad5bff8afe8cd6.jpg

Forgot to post this last night - this was our nightcap before bed. The perfect little entrement. 

Having "liked" this, I have to ask:  what is it?

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Having "liked" this, I have to ask:  what is it?

It was a caramel dessert. bit of sponge, bit of mousse, caramel glaze on the top.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Forgot to mention that I had a visit from @jmacnaughtan today at Salon - what a treat! He brought along a friend (and a lovely bottle) and they attended my tempering talk. Always nice to have moral support when one talks in front of people. The set up was a bit of a shit show - I heard 'if you had told us what you wanted we would have had it for you' several times - my thought was 'if you had read what I told you that I wanted then you would have had a better chance of having it for me' - but that was wasted thoughts. 

I took an old banner from Premier grinders and flung it over the top to write my little crystal chart on - 'oh no, no. no - look how bad that looks on the other side of the wall - we will get you some double sided tape so it doesn't show on the other side' (which they wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't pointed it out). The tape showed up about 15 minutes after my talk was over and the banner had long since been removed. 

It was a good presentation!  And you got to experience first-hand the wonders of Parisian organisation.  They even left you a decorative microphone on the stand ;)

26 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

It can cut just about anything!

It is pretty cool.  I asked him how long that pig takes to do, and he said "hmmm... maybe fifteen seconds".  Want.

It doesn't look like you've hit Patrick Roger yet.  I know he's everywhere, but his sculptures are cool and his chocolates are very good.  Also, head upstairs and eat some of Jean-Charles Rochoux's rum raisin chocolates.

You seem to have almost everything else covered :D

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Thanks for the heads up on the Rochoux rum and raisin / shall go in search!

Let me know what you think.  He's generally my go-to guy for chocolate.

I can add a few pictures from the Salon du Chocolat from my visit on Monday that I thought were cool.  So, if you don't mind...

Animals:

Bear.thumb.jpg.1e60234889056f6c5cdefbb14907d9b5.jpgElephant.thumb.jpg.f4273e630099f41014c1196d96610000.jpg

Flowers:

Flowers.thumb.jpg.4459d58c7ea6eaec15282b1fd362d202.jpgChrysanthemum.thumb.jpg.a390b04b9e2957d92ac0c432fec98394.jpg

And of course:

Asterix.thumb.jpg.6e6f2397a8e40d455bb21d023a06dab9.jpg

Life-size!

Threadjacking over.

• Like 12

34 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Let me know what you think.  He's generally my go-to guy for chocolate.

I can add a few pictures from the Salon du Chocolat from my visit on Monday that I thought were cool.  So, if you don't mind...

Animals:

Bear.thumb.jpg.1e60234889056f6c5cdefbb14907d9b5.jpgElephant.thumb.jpg.f4273e630099f41014c1196d96610000.jpg

Flowers:

Flowers.thumb.jpg.4459d58c7ea6eaec15282b1fd362d202.jpgChrysanthemum.thumb.jpg.a390b04b9e2957d92ac0c432fec98394.jpg

And of course:

Asterix.thumb.jpg.6e6f2397a8e40d455bb21d023a06dab9.jpg

Life-size!

Threadjacking over.

I appreciate the thread jacking. Stuck down here in the basement I don't get to see any of it!

• Like 3