• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Chocdoc Goûte Paris

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Wow. Things are really going downhill as far as cheer of flying goes. 

I think it varies greatly by airline.  I had some really good food in Economy on Singapore Airlines, and it's always tasty and serviceable on EVA to Taiwan.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I think it varies greatly by airline.  I had some really good food in Economy on Singapore Airlines, and it's always tasty and serviceable on EVA to Taiwan.

American is all over the place. Lousy on domestic. Usually good or better on international flights.

16 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

The view from our AirBnB

Wow. It would be hard to get confused about what city you’re in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Hi Kerry,

I tried to write you a personal message but the forum says you can't receive messages, so I'm writing here.

I would like to ask you a favour, since you are at the World Chocolate Masters competition.

I'm friend with Maurizio Frau, the Italian contendant. If you see him, can you sing him "Living in Sardinia" on the notes of "Living in America" by James Brown? It's a joke between him and me, I adapted the lyrics for him (see below) for the Italian championship. It brought good luck that time, hope it will bring good luck this time too!

I'm asking just for singing "Living in Sardinia", not the full lyrics/song of course...

Thanks a lot!

Teo

---------------------------------------

LIVING IN SARDINIA

Ladling cocoa mold to mold just easy to pour anywhere
World championship to be won; just carry over the pièce
How does it feel when there's no destination that's too far
And somewhere on the way you might find out who will win?
Living in Sardinia, bean to bar, bonbon to bonbon
Living in Sardinia, hand to hand across the region
Living in Sardinia, got to have a celebration!
I live in Sardinia
I live in Sardinia
You may not be looking for the tempered bar
But you might find it anyway
Under one of those old familiar names, like
Selargius
Elmas
Domusnovas
Quartucciu, CA
Selargius
Elmas
Domusnovas
Quartucciu, CA
Tresnuraghes
Arzana
Calangianus
Tresnuraghes
Arzana
Calangianus
Seneghe and Elmas

• Like 3

Teo

4 minutes ago, teonzo said:

Hi Kerry,

I tried to write you a personal message but the forum says you can't receive messages, so I'm writing here.

I would like to ask you a favour, since you are at the World Chocolate Masters competition.

I'm friend with Maurizio Frau, the Italian contendant. If you see him, can you sing him "Living in Sardinia" on the notes of "Living in America" by James Brown? It's a joke between him and me, I adapted the lyrics for him (see below) for the Italian championship. It brought good luck that time, hope it will bring good luck this time too!

I'm asking just for singing "Living in Sardinia", not the full lyrics/song of course...

Thanks a lot!

Teo

---------------------------------------

LIVING IN SARDINIA

Ladling cocoa mold to mold just easy to pour anywhere
World championship to be won; just carry over the pièce
How does it feel when there's no destination that's too far
And somewhere on the way you might find out who will win?
I live in Sardinia
I live in Sardinia
You may not be looking for the tempered bar
But you might find it anyway
Under one of those old familiar names, like
Selargius
Elmas
Domusnovas
Quartucciu, CA
Selargius
Elmas
Domusnovas
Quartucciu, CA
Tresnuraghes
Arzana
Calangianus
Tresnuraghes
Arzana
Calangianus
Seneghe and Elmas

This must be recorded @Kerry Beal

• Haha 2

@jmacnaughtan dropped around to the show this evening for the opening events. Before he left he recommended this fairly close by restaurant for our dinner. Origins - 14.

B712D348-20BF-4D64-8FB5-61DB2072976A.thumb.jpeg.224cae90db27a0de6df796e832531486.jpeg

She stopped by the table with a bread basket, a terrine and pickled cauliflower!

C177E28F-62FF-4B8A-962E-A079AC78F5CF.thumb.jpeg.8c1aadecabcfc714b89a0ab94e963f0a.jpeg

8B3560EA-8678-45B4-81B0-301DBBEAB356.thumb.jpeg.800623be4886826f231226cd0c89c819.jpeg

057B349A-E8EF-40C3-88ED-1CD274F895A9.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

We both had linguini -

13EE58DA-A963-4E6F-8FC0-417599C74695.thumb.jpeg.764f47dee7133d5c4bd03b2b11b6c79d.jpeg

ECAF632C-3E75-42D8-B1AE-E1BF41734E13.thumb.jpeg.ab42e7733d0425af60ec7ce379a9c1b3.jpeg

B6410E55-53D5-41E2-9163-FF4CDAE21FE6.thumb.jpeg.d25c593c12138dc84fb3d93fac9910e8.jpeg

6041EAE0-8BF5-415E-9A2E-78C91B5A4342.thumb.jpeg.ca03db716a325ab310815b7422b01450.jpeg

I went for pork filet, @Alleguede the ribs.

They brought spaghetti squash.

image.thumb.jpg.1d749434a168410d51502d0b38ce7a05.jpg

• Like 10

58 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I went for pork filet, @Alleguede the ribs.

Nice looking pork. Too bad about dessert. Amazed they would serve it.  I have never quite grasped the point of spaghetti squash.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Nice looking pork. Too bad about dessert. Amazed they would serve it.  I have never quite grasped the point of spaghetti squash.  

When I was a kid, the one time my mother made spaghetti squash, I wound up sneaking it off my plate and into my pocket, for later disposal in the toilet.  Of course, I didn't realize it would SOAK my pocket and jeans I was wearing, so it was a bit suspicious when I came back to the table wearing a different set of pants... that and the little pieces of squash still left in my pocket that I couldn't get out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, KennethT said:

When I was a kid, the one time my mother made spaghetti squash, I wound up sneaking it off my plate and into my pocket, for later disposal in the toilet.  Of course, I didn't realize it would SOAK my pocket and jeans I was wearing, so it was a bit suspicious when I came back to the table wearing a different set of pants... that and the little pieces of squash still left in my pocket that I couldn't get out!

For me it was LIVER!  I was forced to eat it so I'd get up during dinner and go to the sink and throw the disgusting stuff behind the refrigerator.

Didn't get caught til Mom moved the fridge to clean and found the moldy liver.

By that time I'd been excused from that particular meat, along with the dreaded hominy that I also hated.

Everything else I ate with no complaints.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Dang, I wasn't smart and sneaky like you guys.  I hid my boot leather steak under the edge of my plate.....yes, yes,  I was like 4....and I thought I was so sneaky....forgot someone had to take the plate and wash it....

Sigh.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Dang, I wasn't smart and sneaky like you guys.  I hid my boot leather steak under the edge of my plate.....yes, yes,  I was like 4....and I thought I was so sneaky....forgot someone had to take the plate and wash it....

Sigh.  

Yeah, but I was in 7th grade! (and my mom still did my laundry... hehe)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

Yeah, but I was in 7th grade! (and my mom still did my laundry... hehe)

I just gave it to the dog. I’ve always been stubborn and won’t eat anything I don’t like. 

On topic, what arrondissement are you in? I may be going to Paris in December and you look to be in the heart of the city! Enjoy! 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)

We had to be in very early this morning to make sure our machines were as they should be at the World Chocolate Masters.

Sadly that meant grabbing breakfast a little later out on the street. We have done better.

EA21D395-1205-45AF-A736-905597F278CB.thumb.jpeg.4b7b0e410c95d5c198ab24e2ab8ab1e1.jpeg

• Like 7

Took a couple of tries to get the name right on the sign - image.thumb.jpg.540f0acdf7c06ba61653928bc4a8aaba.jpg in the process we apparently became American.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Took a couple of tries to get the name right on the sign - image.thumb.jpg.540f0acdf7c06ba61653928bc4a8aaba.jpg in the process we apparently became American.

Glad they got the name right. Have they gotten the country right?