• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A new circulator : Slaiya Digital Sous Vide Pod

rotuts

Interesting...  I don't quite understand the purpose of the handle though...  also, at the bottom of the Amazon page are "similar items" that shows me 3 other circulators from brands I've never heard of... Wancle, Supreme.... one is $80, and another is $85 including shipping...

9 hours ago, rotuts said:

SousVide everything used this circulator in a recent vid :

Wow! The Sous Vide Everything crew seems to be well sponsored, so they can do a lot of experimenting for our enjoyment. The next video after the Lion Fish one is about sous vide strip steaks done three ways with both liquid nitrogen, a flame thrower and deep frying involved. They seem to have this tiger by the tail and are having a lot of fun doing it.

And yeah, @boilsover, one can do a soft-boiled egg in the traditional way after much practice and experimenting, but they can also do that perfectly every time again after much practice and experimenting with sous vide. Also, I do not know that it would be practical to home pasteurize eggs like seems to be possible with sous vide for a proper Caesar Salad or chocolate mousse with conventional methods. I made Caesar Salad once with a coddled egg, and was very grateful after thoroughly enjoying it that I didn't succumb to salmonella poisoning. Perhaps with sous vide I will be able to go places without fear that were off limits due to health concerns before. Plus who doesn't  like a way to make less tender and cheaper cuts of beef more appealling?

> ^ . . ^ <

Dave Arnold mentioned that he recently attended a kitchen trade show in China and was amazed by the number of knockoff circulators. I have no idea why you'd buy one of these as against one of the proven models already on the market (which are roughly the same price).

The SVE guys are goons. I will never be able to take them seriously after seeing their video about using garlic SV. I won't bother to link to it, since it's not worth watching.

• Like 2

IMHO, the SVE guys are okay.  They're clearly not experts.  But they have fun.

It's frustrating that they don't do double blind, or even blind tests.  Or use taste testers who aren't their friends.  So they can't be viewed with any sort of authority, and really little credibility. But that's not to say what they do is completely useless.

For instance, whether or not they used fresh garlic or not, they tested 'some things' and made it available on YouTube and didn't hide anything.  So they have that going for them.

Back to topic, I agree that the handle on this thing seems kind of useless. But we're going to see many more circulators on the market trying to differentiate themselves.  I think that in a few years they'll all be selling for $24.95 or less. 

It's just a heating element, a thermocouple, an LED display and maybe a propeller.

• Like 2