• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef John Besh resigns after 25 women claim sexual harassment

Shalmanese

I have been following this on a facebook page I subscribe to.  The page is monitored by some of the food writers of the Times Picayune.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/whereNOLAeats   

If your looking for new places to dine in New Orleans, Todd and Ann are in the know.  

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

My daughter and MIL just got back from a NOLA visit last night.  They ate at Borgne and were actually told about it by the manager and assured that nothing like that would happen under Chef Landry and that Besh was no longer associated with the restaurant.  We are so disappointed about this.  Marine Corps vet, his work after Katrina, father, husband.  And now this crap.  

47 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

We are so disappointed about this.  Marine Corps vet, his work after Katrina, father, husband.  And now this crap.  

My sentiments exactly.  I remember reading his article for Gourmet(I think) about his time serving in Operation Desert Storm and the descriptions of his going back into New Orleans with his 9mm sidearm to help feed the workers.   :(

• Sad 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 10/31/2017 at 11:30 AM, Bob McKeown said:

Sad, I do hope there's no truth to it.

Yeah, it sure is sad when men get caught repeatedly sexually harassing women. Sure do feel bad for those guys. /s

Do you really think and/or hope there is no truth to it? You think those 25+ women are lying about a culture of harassment? Did you read the article? How about some sympathy for the women who had to put up with that sh*t?

23 minutes ago, Qwerty said:

Yeah, it sure is sad when men get caught repeatedly sexually harassing women. Sure do feel bad for those guys. /s

Do you really think and/or hope there is no truth to it? You think those 25+ women are lying about a culture of harassment? Did you read the article? How about some sympathy for the women who had to put up with that sh*t?

Down boy.  The post wasn't defending bad behavior it was wishing it wasn't true. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, gfweb said:

Down boy.  The post wasn't defending bad behavior it was wishing it wasn't true. 

No, I disagree. The statement clearly said "hope there's no truth to it" not "I wish it wasn't true."

The difference is: "Wow, I wish this wasn't the case because up until now I had respect for John Besh."

vs

"I hope these 25 women aren't telling the truth so I can continue to respect John Besh"

'

The sympathy lies with JB, not the women. IMO that is a huge difference. And also, I might add, indicative of the overall problem we are talking about here. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Qwerty said:

No, I disagree. The statement clearly said "hope there's no truth to it" not "I wish it wasn't true."

The difference is: "Wow, I wish this wasn't the case because up until now I had respect for John Besh."

vs

"I hope these 25 women aren't telling the truth so I can continue to respect John Besh"

'

The sympathy lies with JB, not the women. IMO that is a huge difference. And also, I might add, indicative of the overall problem we are talking about here. 

The OP was meant for all parties involved. 

And why why are you inferring in your posts that I have no sympathy for the accusers and that I’m part of the problem? You don’t know me, we’ve never met or spoken to each other, yet you take one sentence and infer that I condone such actions. Rather arrogant and obtrusive on you part. 

I, for one, "hope there's no truth to it" and/or "I wish it wasn't true."   I ate at August and food was amazing.  I read about Besh's involvement in the community and he did so much for New Orleans.  Most of us human beings are very complex creatures and may be saints and sinners at the same time.  Please note that I am a woman so do not accuse me of sexism.  And what happened to innocent until proven guilty?  Lets wait for the final verdict.  Sometimes a person steps down due to his/her prominent position when accusations are made for the sake of their business.  If women (or men) were harmed, I am sorry for them.  I am also sorry for his family who has to be in public eye during personal crisis times.

• Like 1