• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lyon for 2 months ?

AnnH

I find myself with time to travel...  I want to spend several months in Lyon.... eating.

What I am interested in are good markets and good bakers.

Can anyone please recommend a good location in Lyon near an EXCELLENT boulangere for morning croissants and baguettes.

I want to start looking for a place that would be near the baker.    I have never been to Lyon so this will be alot of fun.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Hi,

Pretty much anywhere in the city centre (1st and 2nd arrondissement) will be a short walk from a very good baker.  In fact, pretty much anywhere in the city at all.

I'd recommend staying near the Hôtel de Ville.  There is an excellent market on the Quai Saint Antoine almost every day.

It's now about thirty years since I lived in Lyons, a place which holds bitter-sweet memories for me. I can still close my eyes and be in the bars, the cafés, the markets and the restaurants. My eyes are threatening to tear up.

I can't make recommendations as those places may well no longer be there, but I will say that there are unlikely to be any less than wonderful bakeries all over the city. Bad or even average ones wouldn't last till lunchtime!

I had a happysad time there. I still miss her.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2017 at 1:11 PM, AnnH said:

Hi I just saw your answers.... thanks very much.  I have been forgetting to check the site.

Thanks so much for your help.

AnnH, please consider reporting back here with your findings.  We'd like to see more of you!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown