• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

Like rotuts, I'm having trouble seeing the problem with the left- vs right-handedness of the beaters with the handle on the side.  My mother, a leftie, used ours with no problem. However, she grew up in an era that discouraged left-handed work, and I may have overlooked some compensation she made to this machine. What am I missing?

The crank is only on the right side and the handle is in the same plane as the rotating gear assembly.  It is made to be held with the left hand and cranked with the right.  The ones with the top handles or the "post-type" handles work with either hand but I know from experience (a left-handed stepdaughter) that the ones with the side handles are impossible for a lefty to use.

There were ones made for left-handed people - by one manufacturer - they were sold at dime stores and were made by EKCO.  They are quite rare.

andiesenji

andiesenji

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

Like rotuts, I'm having trouble seeing the problem with the left- vs right-handedness of the beaters with the handle on the side.  My mother, a leftie, used ours with no problem. However, she grew up in an era that discouraged left-handed work, and I may have overlooked some compensation she made to this machine. What am I missing?

The crank is only on the right side. It is made to be held with the left hand and cranked with the right.  The ones with the top handles or the "post-type" handles work with either hand but I know from experience (a left-handed stepdaughter) that the ones with the side handles are impossible for a lefty to use.

There were ones made for left-handed people - by one manufacturer - they were sold at dime stores and were made by EKCO.  They are quite rare.