• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Alex

Alex

34 minutes ago, kayb said:

Confession: I have never yet had a morel. That's on my bucket list. That, and to learn how to identify the "good kind" vs. the "bad kind" in the wild, and forage my own.

Given that I've lived in Michigan for most of my adult (or at least pretending to be an adult) life, I am extraordinarily fond of morels. For me, simple is better -- cooked gently in some butter, with salt, pepper, perhaps a tiny pinch of thyme, and finished with some reduced cream and bit of chives. It's terrific alongside (or on top of) any substantial protein, including salmon (especially king). The one more complicated recipe that I love is a classic springtime gratin of morels, fiddleheads, and asparagus. (Pete Peterson was the driving force behind the departed and dearly missed Tapawingo, in Ellsworth, Michigan, and the current Alliance, in Traverse City.)

Alex

Alex

1 minute ago, kayb said:

Confession: I have never yet had a morel. That's on my bucket list. That, and to learn how to identify the "good kind" vs. the "bad kind" in the wild, and forage my own.

Given that I've lived in Michigan for most of my adult (or at least pretending to be an adult) life, I am extraordinarily fond of morels. For me, simple is better -- cooked gently in some butter, with salt, pepper, perhaps a tiny pinch of thyme, and finished with a bit of reduced cream and bit of chives. Incredible with any substantial protein, including salmon (especially king). The one more complicated use that I love is a classic springtime gratin of morels, fiddleheads, and asparagus. (Pete Peterson was the driving force behind the departed and dearly missed Tapawingo, in Ellsworth, Michigan, and the current Alliance, in Traverse City.)