• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WD-50 book

weedy

I didn't even know this existed. $72 (amazon.ca) may push it into the "no, thanks"  range for me... but it is tempting just because I was so into some of the things he was doing at the time.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The left out the "corned duck" recipe—page 25—in the preview on Amazon!

Sonsabitches! annoyed.gif

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

The left out the "corned duck" recipe—page 25—in the preview on Amazon!

Sonsabitches! annoyed.gif

I saw it in the preview that I get.

ETA and then I went back to screen grab it and it was gone....weird

Edited by gfweb (log)

29 dollars US kindle edition is pricey but hopefully it will get a little cheaper at some point.  About 10 years ago i was driving my son to University of Vermont.  We stopped in NYC for couple of days and had dinner at WD 50.  I ordered wine pairing with tasting menu and asked if I can allow my son to have some of it (as a reference to his age).  The answer was: it's enough to share.  We shared indeed.  The food was exciting and like nothing I have ever tasted before.

I loved WD50 (and Alder, nearly as much)... I miss them both.

I've decided I'm rarely happy with cookbooks on the iPad... I find that I invariably want to jump around from the index or to a referenced sub-recipe on another page and it just doesn't work for me.

I don't know how much I'll cook directly from this book, as opposed to just learning ideas to adapt, but I'm looking for ward to getting deep into it no matter which.

1 hour ago, weedy said:

I loved WD50 (and Alder, nearly as much)... I miss them both.

I've decided I'm rarely happy with cookbooks on the iPad... I find that I invariably want to jump around from the index or to a referenced sub-recipe on another page and it just doesn't work for me.

Bookmark the pages of interest and then just jump between/among them.  This works for the Kindle iPad app.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I don't KNOW ahead of time what they are. I just find cookbooks make me do a lot of flipping and cross referring 

plus on many, the indexing doesn't work great. 

I find my iPad is more a travel item. 

At home I'd rather have the book. 

Edited by weedy (log)
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished giving a quick read.

I must say I'm a bit disappointed, I was expecting more from this book. The restaurant was iconic, groundbreaking and whatelse, nothing to say about this. Kudos to them for everything they invented. Problem is that after all these years those techniques are globally spread, so there's almost anything new to read technique wise. The restaurant gets the honors for the inventions, but after all these years we've seen that stuff replicated here and there a lot of times, so there's not much new to learn. But this is not my main complaint, this was a given.

My main complaints are these two.

First, I hoped for more in depth descriptions about the creative process and whatever was behind their ideas and their creations. Coi by Daniel Patterson is a great example for this. There isn't much soul in the writing here.

Second, they got 3 great pastry chefs there (I would say Stupak is in the top5 in the world as restaurant pastry chef). There are only a handful of desserts here, it's a total shame.

I would say choosing Meehan as writer was not a wise thing.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 4/9/2018 at 3:59 PM, Smokeydoke said:

Has anyone tried cooking from it yet?

I tried the miso soup with tofu noodles. It didn’t go as well as it should, for several possible reasons. I used methylcellulose F50 instead of A16M, it was my first time using this particular hydrocolloid, and I skipped the gelatin clarification.