• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

lindag

Worst Halloween candy

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

Candy corn is more than a century old?  It tastes so awful.  Who has been demanding this stuff for over 100 years now.?

Me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I don't think the yellow part has a different flavor, so I'm wondering if your tongue is very sensitive to food coloring or if it's just psychological. According to this article,

It's not psychological. Could be the food coloring thing. There's a very unpleasant flavor to the whole piece of candy that I just don't detect in that one small bit. I suppose it could be a matter of quantity vs quality, though - as in, too much of a bad thing.

Next time I find myself in the immediate company of one of the odious kernels (as opposed to odious colonels, with which I've also had unpleasant experiences probably owing to too much of a bad thing), believe I'll do a little empirical investigating. 

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 2

I always hated those candies wrapped in orange and black waxed paper. I never knew what they were, only I didn't like them.

I kind of liked candy corn  when I was a kid. It's very rare for me to eat anything sweet now. 

8 hours ago, Darienne said:

Candy corn is more than a century old?  It tastes so awful.  Who has been demanding this stuff for over 100 years now.?

Anything tastes bad after 100 years. What they're selling now are the ones that never sold after the original batch in 1917.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

And now for something completely different (and disgusting). This showed up in my inbox this morning--

http://www.coastalliving.com/food/entertaining/halloween-candy-wine-pairings

You'll be happy to know that Prosecco is the wine of choice with candy corn. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

That's not as odd as one might think. The book WHAT to DRINK with WHAT you EAT (upper and lower case the authors' choice, not mine) has pairings for Twinkies (Asti), Kit Kat (blended African tea) and Oreos (Banyuls, Port, or, of course, milk),

• Haha 1

Ten best, ten worst, from my favorite local "news" writer, complete with gifs.

1. Candy corn

This inexplicably popular waxy candy boasts a “mellow cream” flavor that in reality tastes like an exquisite blend of sugary soap and hardened runoff from the Crayola factory. It’s shaped like bullets, and surely lodges in your colon like bullets. I once dusted a Pottery Barn candle with sugar and took a bite, and it tasted better than candy corn.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Ten best, ten worst, from my favorite local "news" writer, complete with gifs.

Wow. Except for the Twizzlers and M&Ms, his Ten Best list is my Ten Worst list. Ah, the wonders of subjectivity!

Twizzlers andTootsie Rolls often seem to be stale.  In fact, I don't think I ever had a Tootsie Roll that wasn’t hard and dry.

Just saw another candy that I cannot stand:

I never knew the name of them, just always recognized them by their orange and black wrappers.  This says they are called Mary Jane Peanut Butter Kisses.  

Blech.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Just saw another candy that I cannot stand:

I never knew the name of them, just always recognized them by their orange and black wrappers.  This says they are called Mary Jane Peanut Butter Kisses.  

Blech.  

I cant say that I remember what they taste like or if I ever even tried one... I think I just disliked them  on principle.

Edited by caroled (log)
  • Like 1

Now this is just wrong: beer and Halloween candy pairings

"Bonfire Brown is a malty beer so it has really nice flavor to compliment the incredibly sweet candy corn," Scheerhorn said.

• Like 2