• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Halloween Candy and Other Treats: The Favorites, the Best, the Worst, the Seasonal, the Weird

elfin

17 hours ago, Alex said:

Even Chunky? Or Raisinettes (my all-time favorite movie theater snack)?

@gfweb is spot-on. Bugs would be better than raisins. Raisinettes are godawful because unless you look closely, you don't realize that they aren't chocolate-covered peanuts. Raisins are evil.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I find this raisin thing fascinating -- and not just because I'm a psychologist. ;)  Ms. Alex will eat golden raisins without hesitation -- they're a component of one of her favorite salads to make -- but the dark ones remind her of little squishy bugs.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

I find this raisin thing fascinating -- and not just because I'm a psychologist. ;)  Ms. Alex will eat golden raisins without hesitation -- they're a component of one of her favorite salads to make -- but the dark ones remind her of little squishy bugs.

If I find those nasty, squishy golden raisins in a 20 mile range of me I will run screaming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I appear to be a hybrid of raisin lover/hater.  While I prefer golden raisins to dark ones, I like them in moderation.  I detest raisin squares, because the raisins are too concentrated.  On the other hand, I love Trader Joe's cinnamon raisin bread.  And when I make butter tarts, I like a few, no more than 6, in each pastry.

For Halloween, the last few years we lived in the house we always gave out Orville's microwave popcorn packets.  The kids loved them.  I remember one kid excitedly saying, "Oh boy, popcorn"!   Before that, we used to give out Oh Henry and Crispy Crunch chocolate bars.  For obvious reasons.

As for me, I hated getting apples.  And even worse than just apples were candied apples which I loathe to this day.  I don't remember getting raisins, but if I did, I would have eaten them one slow raisin at a time.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I appear to be a hybrid of raisin lover/hater.  While I prefer golden raisins to dark ones, I like them in moderation.  I detest raisin squares, because the raisins are too concentrated.  On the other hand, I love Trader Joe's cinnamon raisin bread.  And when I make butter tarts, I like a few, no more than 6, in each pastry.

For Halloween, the last few years we lived in the house we always gave out Orville's microwave popcorn packets.  The kids loved them.  I remember one kid excitedly saying, "Oh boy, popcorn"!   Before that, we used to give out Oh Henry and Crispy Crunch chocolate bars.  For obvious reasons.

As for me, I hated getting apples.  And even worse than just apples were candied apples which I loathe to this day.  I don't remember getting raisins, but if I did, I would have eaten them one slow raisin at a time.

I never understood candied apples either.  Just awful.  One could eat the caramel off the outside but it just wasn't even worth the effort.  Toss 'em.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Loved getting Glosettes chocolate raisins! Despised the peanut ones. Actually anything with whole peanuts. Except peanut M&Ms. Loved little boxes of raisins, too. Yeah, I was a weird kid.

Never got apples or popcorn balls. When I was growing up, no parent in their right mind would let their kid eat them anyway - fear of hidden razor blades or rat poison.

And really, unless one is a dentist, there is s special place in hell reserved just for people giving out toothbrushes!

• Like 1

My parents would go through our candy when we arrived home from trick or treating.  They'd take any apples away from us. Why? Because some scum-of-the-earth demon spawn residents were putting razor blades in the apples and giving them to children on Halloween.   Some of the candy, as well. Mom would scrutinize each piece to make sure it wasn't opened first.  I had awesome parents. Always shared the chocolate with Daddy. =) 

@Alex  Yes, Michigan is a great place, despite the candy corn.   Loved the "...state shaped like a mitten. Or a hand reaching out for more candy corn." HAHAHA!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

A rare Halloween treat would be when someone would pass out bubble gum. My brothers and I always preferred the Bazooka brand 364 days of the year, but at Halloween we'd get some pieces of Double Bubble gum and be in 7th heaven. The flavor of it tasted a lot like the gum you'd get in a package of baseball cards (but not as stiff!).

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Just FYI, though this is probably suited better to the "snacking while eGulleting" thread, I am eating candy corn and drinking a significantly spicy Bloody Mary. They go astoundingly well together.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:50 AM, lindag said:

I never understood candied apples either.  Just awful.  One could eat the caramel off the outside but it just wasn't even worth the effort.  Toss 'em.

But, but, but...caramel!  And nuts and chocolate!  It includes fruit so your Mom can't take it and hide it for later because it will go bad. 

Although, if you are taking about the actual candied apples with the clear, hard candy coating then I agree with you.  Super gross.

On 10/17/2017 at 10:09 PM, cakewalk said:

Ditto candy corn. Gross. I can't think of anything else that even comes close. 

My favorites (of the non-chocolate candies) are Twizzlers. Just thinking about Twizzlers makes me smile. 

When I was a kid, my favorite chocolates were Chunkies, hands down. We hardly ever saw them in our Halloween bags, but sometimes we got lucky.

Candy corn is my saving grace at Halloween. It's what I buy so that I'm not tempted in the least to eat it myself. I do like the taste of the little yellow bit at the end but to get that you have to nibble at them one by one. It's really way too much trouble to bother with. As to what I like - unfortunately, everything else. 

• Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

38 minutes ago, Jaymes said:

Candy corn is my saving grace at Halloween. It's what I buy so that I'm not tempted in the least to eat it myself. I do like the taste of the little yellow bit at the end but to get that you have to nibble at them one by one. It's really way too much trouble to bother with. As to what I like - unfortunately, everything else. 

I don't think the yellow part has a different flavor, so I'm wondering if your tongue is very sensitive to food coloring or if it's just psychological. According to this article,

It takes about 24 hours to make candy corn by a method called corn starch modeling, Plumlee said. Trays containing kernel-shaped depressions are filled from the top to bottom with corn starch. First yellow coloring is added, then orange, then white. When the starch hardens, the kernels are removed, polished and bagged.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

21 minutes ago, Alex said:

I don't think the yellow part has a different flavor, so I'm wondering if your tongue is very sensitive to food coloring or if it's just psychological. According to this article,

Candy corn is more than a century old?  It tastes so awful.  Who has been demanding this stuff for over 100 years now.?

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 hours ago, Alex said:

It's not psychological. Could be the food coloring thing. There's a very unpleasant flavor to the whole piece of candy that I just don't detect in that one small bit. I suppose it could be a matter of quantity vs quality, though - as in, too much of a bad thing.

Next time I find myself in the immediate company of one of the odious kernels (as opposed to odious colonels, with which I've also had unpleasant experiences probably owing to too much of a bad thing), believe I'll do a little empirical investigating. 

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I always hated those candies wrapped in orange and black waxed paper. I never knew what they were, only I didn't like them.

I kind of liked candy corn  when I was a kid. It's very rare for me to eat anything sweet now. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

8 hours ago, Darienne said:

Candy corn is more than a century old?  It tastes so awful.  Who has been demanding this stuff for over 100 years now.?

Anything tastes bad after 100 years. What they're selling now are the ones that never sold after the original batch in 1917.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

And now for something completely different (and disgusting). This showed up in my inbox this morning--

http://www.coastalliving.com/food/entertaining/halloween-candy-wine-pairings

You'll be happy to know that Prosecco is the wine of choice with candy corn. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Haha 2

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

5 minutes ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

And now for something completely different (and disgusting). This showed up in my inbox this morning--

http://www.coastalliving.com/food/entertaining/halloween-candy-wine-pairings

You'll be happy to know that Prosecco is the wine of choice with candy corn. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

That's not as odd as one might think. The book WHAT to DRINK with WHAT you EAT (upper and lower case the authors' choice, not mine) has pairings for Twinkies (Asti), Kit Kat (blended African tea) and Oreos (Banyuls, Port, or, of course, milk),

• Haha 1

Ten best, ten worst, from my favorite local "news" writer, complete with gifs.

1. Candy corn

This inexplicably popular waxy candy boasts a “mellow cream” flavor that in reality tastes like an exquisite blend of sugary soap and hardened runoff from the Crayola factory. It’s shaped like bullets, and surely lodges in your colon like bullets. I once dusted a Pottery Barn candle with sugar and took a bite, and it tasted better than candy corn.

• Haha 2

Just saw another candy that I cannot stand:

I never knew the name of them, just always recognized them by their orange and black wrappers.  This says they are called Mary Jane Peanut Butter Kisses.  

Blech.

• Like 1