• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jon Savage

Jon Savage

On 10/16/2017 at 12:40 AM, Kerry Beal said:

My thoughts turned towards packing today. Really if you are me or my partner the most important thing to pack is a knife roll. Cutlery in rental apartments is sucky(tm) and I suspect this apartment will be no exception. 

Without further ado-

My gyuto. Sea's Deba. 2 pettys. A microplane, doublesided water stone, throw away pepper grinder & cutting board - We leave the latter 2 behind to enrich the flat. 

Anything else doesn't matter; we both know how to pack & travel light... But for the knives, it would be all carry-on. Funny really - Sea & I pretty much pack the same way regardless if a 2 day biz trip or 3 weeks abroad.

I'm already thinking of menus to cook; Thanksgiving will involve Duck Breast as always...

Pretty funny in hindsight- We are always abroad at Thanksgiving. I don't actually know when we were last CONUS for said holiday. 

My back is fskedtoo... Gonna take some meds & crash.

IMG_0130.jpg

Added photo reason for edit.

Jon Savage

Jon Savage

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Perhaps not my place to mention it but Jon has started on off topic thread here for the sort of questions that de-rail the blog thread. I think it's a brilliant idea!

Thank you Kerry- I thought that would be a good idea too.

My thoughts turned towards packing today. Really if you are me or my partner the most important thing to pack is a knife roll. Cutlery in rental apartments is sucky(tm) and I suspect this apartment will be no exception. 

Without further ado-

My gyuto. Sea's Deba. 2 pettys. A microplane, doublesided water stone, throw away pepper grinder & cutting board - We leave the latter 2 behind to enrich the flat. 

Anything else doesn't matter; we both know how to pack & travel light... But for the knives, it would be all carry-on. Funny really - Sea & I pretty much pack the same way regardless if a 2 day biz trip or 3 weeks abroad.

I'm already thinking of menus to cook; Thanksgiving will involve Duck Breast as always...

Pretty funny in hindsight- We are always abroad at Thanksgiving. I don't actually know when we were last CONUS for said holiday. 

IMG_0130.jpg

Added photo reason for edit.

Jon Savage

Jon Savage

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Perhaps not my place to mention it but Jon has started on off topic thread here for the sort of questions that de-rail the blog thread. I think it's a brilliant idea!

Without further ado-

IMG_0130.jpg

Jon Savage

Jon Savage

10 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Without further ado-