• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honey cake

shain

IMG_20171011_215550.thumb.jpg.dbd41bd3558f8fc86f79d23afa74f339.jpg

Note: this cake is somewhat on the sweet side, this is part of what makes a honey cake in my mind, but you may cut down on some of the plain sugar in the recipe. 

If your sour cream is higher in fat than specified, replace some butter with milk. 

• 145 g flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (5 g)
  • 3/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (3-4 sticks)
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground all spice (3-4 grains)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

It is best to use freshly ground spices. 

• 200 g sour cream 15% fat
  • 3/4 teaspoon instant coffee
  • 1 large egg
  • 110 g Honey
  • 35 g dark brown sugar
  • 80 g white sugar
  • 40 g oil
  • 20 g melted butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Optional: a handful of raisins, soaked in water
  • Optional: 15-17 g almonds sliced (not chopped)

For syrup:

• 2 teaspoons honey 
  • 25 g warm water (5 teaspoons)

preparation

• Preheat oven to 170 degrees C.
  • Grease one english cake pan.
  • In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, dry spices and salt.
  • In a large separate bowl, put about a tablespoon of sour cream.
  • Heat the cream in the bowl a little, put in the coffee and mix until it melts.
  • Add the remaining cream and the egg. 
  • Add the honey and the two types of sugar, oil and vanilla extract. Add raisins if desired. Mix well.
  • Sift the flour mixture into the bowl with the liquids.
  • Using a spatula, mix lightly and fold the mixture at until you get a smooth, fairly liquid batter. Make sure to collect the flour from the bottom of the bowl.
  • Pour the mixture into a pan. 
  • Sprinkle the almonds uniformly.
  • Put in the oven and bake for 37-40 minutes, until the cake is high, dark brown, and an inserted toothpick existing crumbless. (the cake should Crack while raisin)
  • Mix the hot water and the honey to form a syrup.
  • Using a teaspoon, evenly and slowly pour the syrup over the cake while it is warm.
  • Allow to cool completely and store in a tightly sealed container or wrapped in plastic wrap.
  • Serve with tea :)
Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.

Sounds interesting.  My honey cake recipe uses no white sugar, only honey and Lyles black treacle.

I haven't made it for years, not since I was diagnosed with diabetes.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett