• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jackson's of PIccadilly Russian Tea help

lemniscate

Inspired by the "old tea" thread, I have an empty tin from several years ago that is "Russian Tea" (not labeled caravan) by Jackson's of Piccadilly.   I loved that tea but it disappeared years ago as did Jackson's for a time.   Now Twinings owns the brand.   Jackson's was famous for the Earl Grey, and that is available.  I am looking for something close to the Russian Tea which I fear will never be blended again by Jackson's.   

I am unfamiliar with Russian blends except for that one.  Any suggestions of a brand or blend that may get me close to the old Russian Tea?

Hello- What are the characteristics of the original "Russian" tea? What did you like about it? was it "fruity"? "smokey"? "earthy"? or something else?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Does the tin have an ingredients list?

I like many of Kusmi's teas  but, I suspect you'll just need to start trying a lot of different teas until you find something similar. Some tea companies process their own teas starting with fresh leaves, others buy from distributors and make blends or simply repackage.

I have to go back into my flavor memory, but I don't remember it being smoky or with bergamot/citrus flavors.   The Kusmi tea blends didn't sound close in description to me.  

I now found an empty box that I guess I kept in the back of the tea cupboard for reference when I realized the brand disappeared.   it states "Jackson's of Piccadilly Russian Tea, a Delicate Tea.  Russian tea is delicate and light in colour.  It is best drunk in the afternoon and evening with a slice of lemon and a little sugar."  in English, French and German.

No ingredients or tea varieties are listed unfortunately.

All the Russian Caravan and Russian style teas I have researched seem to sound the opposite of delicate.

I've ordered a sample of Harney's Russian Country to test.   

I discovered this tea back when the Phoenician Resort started it's High Tea and they exclusively had Jackson's teas at the time.   That was quite some time ago.

edit:  There is a line on one side of the box that states "A Blend of Russian Teas".  Well, that's vague.

Edited by lemniscate
add more info (log)

22 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I have to go back into my flavor memory, but I don't remember it being smoky or with bergamot/citrus flavors.   The Kusmi tea blends didn't sound close in description to me.  

I now found an empty box that I guess I kept in the back of the tea cupboard for reference when I realized the brand disappeared.   it states "Jackson's of Piccadilly Russian Tea, a Delicate Tea.  Russian tea is delicate and light in colour.  It is best drunk in the afternoon and evening with a slice of lemon and a little sugar."  in English, French and German.

No ingredients or tea varieties are listed unfortunately.

All the Russian Caravan and Russian style teas I have researched seem to sound the opposite of delicate.

I've ordered a sample of Harney's Russian Country to test.   

I discovered this tea back when the Phoenician Resort started it's High Tea and they exclusively had Jackson's teas at the time.   That was quite some time ago.

Hello- IMO, the description  sounds more like that of a Darjeeling  than a Russian Tea.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

3 hours ago, Naftal said:

Hello- IMO, the description  sounds more like that of a Darjeeling  than a Russian Tea.

Yes, I think that is maybe the right track.   I did find a Kusmi tea called Russian Evening that is 75% China black tea and 25% Darjeeling black tea.  Unfortunately, its out of stock at the moment (just my luck).  I plan on giving it a try.  Hopeful.

Thanks for the suggestions eGulleters.