• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant/Bar Annoyances

Rosie

Re: the ball cap. I occasionally wear one when I'm out running errands and have not had a good hair day. Sometimes when I'm out running said errands, I decide to eat lunch. Usually a diner, maybe the local Mexican or burger joint. Nothing fancy.

You would rather look at my ball cap than my hair after I've been wearing it due to a bad hair day. Trust me on this.

• Haha 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

9 minutes ago, kayb said:

Re: the ball cap. I occasionally wear one when I'm out running errands and have not had a good hair day. Sometimes when I'm out running said errands, I decide to eat lunch. Usually a diner, maybe the local Mexican or burger joint. Nothing fancy.

You would rather look at my ball cap than my hair after I've been wearing it due to a bad hair day. Trust me on this.

I get it.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lindag said:

I had an experience in a very nice local restaurant with dh and myself and two out of town guests.

We were seated at the only available table which was next to a couple and their two young boys (about 4, I'd guess).  The children yelled, threw silverware made so much noise that we could barely converse.  The parents, apparently, saw nothing and chatted with each other.  I was so mad I could have spit.

Yes, but you can never say anything to the miscreant parents about their "little darling". That was what started the brawl at the Fayetteville Chuck E. Cheese. 

15 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Stupid waiter tricks.

My wife and I were out, nice place. I ordered, handed the waiter my menu and then he asks "What kind of dressing would you like on your salad?"

I thought that the salad wasn't included but then thought I must be wrong if he's asking me this. 

Yup, not included. Asked to see a manager when the bill came with the charge for a salad. Never showed. One of the few times, probably the only time,  I didn't leave  a tip.

I kept looking for the Grrrr/Angry icon. That would really trip my trigger too. Good for you for not leaving an undeserved tip on that sneaky upsell. This comes from a former waitress who thinks non or low tippers are consummate slugs.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

13 hours ago, Captain said:

The hat indoors really gets up my goat.  It's respect that sadly is diminishing quickly.

Wait staff who don't know that the way you leave your knife & fork tells them if your done with your meal or not.

Alas, wait staff can't treat that as an indicator of "done-ness" any more, because too few diners understand that particular convention. Heck, half of the time we're lucky if they know how to use cutlery at all. I die a little inside every time I watch my (don't get me started) son-in-law using an overhand, trowel grip to fork food into his open-while-chewing face. 

(...it's not his mother's fault, btw, she raised three kids single-handed after kicking their father out. One boy is full-on autistic, the daughter was every caricature of the teenager from hell, and my SIL is a slug. I respect her greatly, but you only have time in the day for so many battles and table etiquette didn't make the cut.)

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

22 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Stupid waiter tricks.

My wife and I were out, nice place. I ordered, handed the waiter my menu and then he asks "What kind of dressing would you like on your salad?"

I thought that the salad wasn't included but then thought I must be wrong if he's asking me this. 

Yup, not included. Asked to see a manager when the bill came with the charge for a salad. Never showed. One of the few times, probably the only time,  I didn't leave  a tip.

Inexcusable!  (the waiter).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chromedome said:

Alas, wait staff can't treat that as an indicator of "done-ness" any more, because too few diners understand that particular convention. Heck, half of the time we're lucky if they know how to use cutlery at all.

This literally made me laugh out loud. xD Thanks!

8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

It takes a LOT to make me angry at a restaurant. But a pet peeve is asking for water with alcoholic beverages and not receiving it. I'm on vacation in Marco Island right now and am getting tired of begging for water. 

Yes, that makes me very uncomfortable too. I drink a lot of water, almost exclusively. Even when I order an occasional frozen margarita at a place that does them well, I want a glass of water too. I guess the wait person's mind goes "drink order: cocktail, better tips for me, water, no tip, phooey". I dunno, but my water does seem to be forgotten with cocktails more than any other time. I don't even think they do it on purpose, but still. Lack of malice doesn't help me in my discomfort. The water could easily be brought on the same trip with the cocktail, but asking for it again creates another trip and thus friction, making it more uncomfortable on both sides.

I'm convinced that a really good server can turn your restaurant experience into a really memorable, wonderful time, and a bad one can ruin it and your appetite, no matter how good the food might be, if it were served in a timely and thoughtful manner. I am one that does tend to get my dander up when you mess with my food. If I get irritated enough, I don't even want to eat anymore, and when I try, it gives me indigestion. It seems unreasonable to let a messed up meal experience ruin your day, but I have to admit I have done that, especially if it was expensive. I remember messed up meals from twenty years ago, but I also remember the perfect ones that were truly transcendent. I takes a great chef and a great server to make these magical times happen.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Do you specifically request your water?  I ask because it is (or at least used to be) illegal to serve water in a restaurant here unless water was specifically requested.

• Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I ask because it is (or at least used to be) illegal to serve water in a restaurant here unless water was specifically requested.

One of the most futile drought remedies ever.  Anything that makes sense to a state legislature is probably wrong. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do you specifically request your water?  I ask because it is (or at least used to be) illegal to serve water in a restaurant here unless water was specifically requested.

In all the years I've waitresses or worked in restaurants in NJ it was never illegal to serve water unless requested. That law must have existed prior to 1999. High end restaurants generally ask your water preference and bring it immediately and refill regularly. 

Yes, I specifically request water when I order a glass or bottle of wine or a cocktail. I've never found it to be an issue at home in NJ but here in southern Fl at more casual places, it's been an issue three times out of the four times we've dined out. I don't think it's really about tips- the more casual places assume people want their alcoholic beverages ASAP. I bring a Tervis of water wherever I go (I do leave it in the car) so suck down a lot of water prior to dining. 

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What?

It is illegal to serve unsolicited water, but OK to serve solicited water?

If true, (which I doubt)  it is insane,

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

51 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

What! You doubt that the law is an ass? I have no idea if it still the law in Ontario  but I do know it was at one time. If you were in a restaurant that served liquor and for some reason wanted to change your table to another table you could not carry your alcoholic drink to the new table.  You had to wait for a server to transfer your drink to the new table. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

During the time that I lived overseas I remember being in the States once for a visit and going to a restaurant with my sister and her husband. I was surprised when the server did not immediately place three glasses of water on the table, and mentioned this to my sister and husband. They said there's a water shortage and the new rulings stated that water should be served only if a person requested it. (This was during the 80s.) I requested it and got it. My sister and her husband ordered Diet Cokes. The reasoning here is that many people do not drink the water, so it shouldn't be given as a matter of course during a time of shortage. I know that my sister and her husband would have let the glass of water sit on the table, never would have taken a sip. I agree that it probably didn't put much of a dent in the water levels, but I think it was more a matter of trying to change our level of consciousness about things, and I wish it had continued. If water is requested, by all means serve it and continue to refill the empty glass, it means the person is drinking it; this is not about limiting consumption of water. But if it's just going to sit on the table and then get dumped down the drain? Not sure that's such a great idea. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

What! You doubt that the law is an ass? I have no idea if it still the law in Ontario  but I do know it was at one time. If you were in a restaurant that served liquor and for some reason wanted to change your table to another table you could not carry your alcoholic drink to the new table.  You had to wait for a server to transfer your drink to the new table. 

Well, I'll confess my total ignorance of Canadian law, but stand by my insanity comment. I know that in the UK all premises licensed to sell alcohol are required by law to provide water on request as are workplaces and schools. Restaurants must supply free water, although they may charge for service including the use of a glass. Few do charge.

BBC Link

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

What?

It is illegal to serve unsolicited water, but OK to serve solicited water?

This was the law in NY City from 1991 till 2014:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/05/nyregion/little-known-regulation-on-tap-water-in-restaurants-is-set-to-fade-away.html

I am almost certain this was (or is) the law in New Jersey as well but I have not yet found documentation.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This was the law in NY City from 1991 till 2014:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/05/nyregion/little-known-regulation-on-tap-water-in-restaurants-is-set-to-fade-away.html

I am almost certain this was (or is) the law in New Jersey as well but I have not yet found documentation.

It was the law in Oregon (land of boundless rain) during that same time.

Found it!  In New Jersey the restriction came into force 3/11/2002 by Administrative Order:

http://www.njdrought.org/ao02-05.htm

"The serving of water in restaurants, clubs or eating places is prohibited, unless specifically requested by the patron."

• Sad 1

@JoNorvelleWalker 

"""    they’d just fill up on water """

money-mouth.gif.b6cca371cd8c89c82d814b7b7b7eb8ae.gif

smiley-ptdr.gif.09b782f5eaab6a02b93a938b4f6af53d.gif

back in thee day ,  while in Jr.High

hot lunches cost 50 cents USD

some times Id forget to pick up the two quarter I needed

the quarters  were in a container in the kitchen

so no hot or cold lunch for me !

a friend who lived a few doors down suggested 

drink a a lot of water , that will fill you up

didn't work

re: water

politicians are experts at making the superficial 

seem profound.

your are not going to get a glass of water , 

unless requested

because graft from the ' Beverage Industry '

supports their life style

"  wouldn't you prefer your Water in an Outstanding Shee Shee container ?   5.49 USD ? "

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Found it!  In New Jersey the restriction came into force 3/11/2002 by Administrative Order:

http://www.njdrought.org/ao02-05.htm

"The serving of water in restaurants, clubs or eating places is prohibited, unless specifically requested by the patron."

I have never seen that enforced. I worked in restaurants at that time and they served water automatically. It wasn't even mentioned. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

I have never seen that enforced. I worked in restaurants at that time and they served water automatically. It wasn't even mentioned. 

I have visions of Eliot Ness in your restaurant with his axe, smashing water goblets.

Pretty sure I heard about the water prohibition from a server.  Just as I'm sure (and well remember) hearing about the late, lamented egg law from a server.

• Haha 2

I remember seeing notes on the menu and/or table during one bad drought in NJ that water would not be served unless requested. Generally the waitstaff are asking for your beverage order “to start” as soon as dropping the menus, so I’ve not experienced any issue with getting water. The refill of said water....that is another issue...

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde