Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

lindag

Restaurant pet peeves

Recommended Posts

I personally am irked at restaurant diners who cannot remove their baseball caps!  WTF!   What is this about?

I grew up in times when men removed their hats indoors.  

What are they trying  to prove or hide?  It seems so very adolescent.


Edited by lindag Corrected title spelling (log)
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hiding? Maybe their bald spots?  It took me a long time, but I got used to the baseball/ seed corn caps.  Now getting used to the idiots almost yelling into their phones is taking longer.  And let's not even go into diners that let their kids run wild!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait staff asking if you’d like dessert, before you’ve even finished the entree. In such a hurry to get that check closed out...

Clearing the table while one person is still eating.  And the follow up, asking the diner who is finished if they would like dessert, while the other person is still eating their entree.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lindag said:

I personally hate restaurant diners who cannot remove their baseball caps!  WTF!   What is this about?

I grew in times when men removed their hats!  

What are they trying  to prove or hide?

 

Perhaps you need a better restaurant ? 

But, yeah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could not care less if someone chooses to keep a hat on or not. It doesn't affect me. I don't have to look at him/her. Why would this bother me in the least?

 

What I do care about is children being allowed to screech at the top of their "adorable" little lungs, run laps around the aisles, interfering with and endangering waitstaff and patrons, smear their dirty little hands on me (this happened to me once) and kick the back of my booth. This latter one has happened so many times it is just ridicules for the little amount that I eat out. Parents today seem to be oblivious to how much their children are annoying fellow diners.

 

I remember but cannot find an incident at a local restaurant that got into the news over a booth-kicking kid. Police were involved, and I can relate.

 

And yes, even poor people who are only able to afford eating out occasionally at less expensive restaurants should be able to expect a pleasant experience unmarred by unsupervised, out-of-control children. 

 

I avoid places that cater to children like Chuck E. Cheese (link to a video of a recent brawl with 4 arrests in Fayettville, NC), of course, and always skip nights where kids eat free. I try to avoid children in restaurants as much as possible, but that is hard when one cannot afford high end eateries. Not all children are allowed to go crazy in restaurants, of course. So many are these days, though. Cudos to the parents who still teach their children manners, and they're probably in the majority. It is just that the few that don't take the responsibility to do that make it very miserable for everyone around them.

 

I have a metal sign, given to me by my brother, that reads: "Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free kitten". There's a picture of a very cute little red-headed girl that looks much like my sister as a child with a cup of espresso in her hand. xD

 

His son and daughter are actually very well behaved in restaurants and everywhere else since they were infants.

 

I will also say that when I recently ate at Bosphorus, our great Turkish restaurant we are so lucky to have, there were many Turkish families who brought their kids to this restaurant. All of the children were extremely well-behaved and bothered no one. Why can't we Americans get this down? 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gfweb said:

 

Perhaps you need a better restaurant ? 

But, yeah. 

Yeah, but this is cow country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I could not care less if someone chooses to keep a hat on or not. It doesn't affect me. I don't have to look at him/her. Why would this bother me in the least?

 

What I do care about is children being allowed to screech at the top of their "adorable" little lungs, run laps around the aisles, interfering with and endangering waitstaff and patrons, smear their dirty little hands on me (this happened to me once) and kick the back of my booth. This latter one has happened so many times it is just ridicules for the little amount that I eat out. Parents today seem to be oblivious to how much their children are annoying fellow diners.

 

I remember but cannot find an incident at a local restaurant that got into the news over a booth-kicking kid. Police were involved, and I can relate.

 

And yes, even poor people who are only able to afford eating out occasionally at less expensive restaurants should be able to expect a pleasant experience unmarred by unsupervised, out-of-control children. 

 

I avoid places that cater to children like Chuck E. Cheese (link to a video of a recent brawl with 4 arrests in Fayettville, NC), of course, and always skip nights where kids eat free. I try to avoid children in restaurants as much as possible, but that is hard when one cannot afford high end eateries. Not all children are allowed to go crazy in restaurants, of course. So many are these days, though. Cudos to the parents who still teach their children manners, and they're probably in the majority. It is just that the few that don't take the responsibility to do that make it very miserable for everyone around them.

 

I have a metal sign, given to me by my brother, that reads: "Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free kitten". There's a picture of a very cute little red-headed girl that looks much like my sister as a child with a cup of espresso in her hand. xD

 

His son and daughter are actually very well behaved in restaurants and everywhere else since they were infants.

 

I will also say that when I recently ate at Bosphorus, our great Turkish restaurant we are so lucky to have, there were many Turkish families who brought their kids to this restaurant. All of the children were extremely well-behaved and bothered no one. Why can't we Americans get this down? 

 

 

I had an experience in a very nice local restaurant with dh and myself and two out of town guests.

We were seated at the only available table which was next to a couple and their two young boys (about 4, I'd guess).  The children yelled, threw silverware made so much noise that we could barely converse.  The parents, apparently, saw nothing and chatted with each other.  I was so mad I could have spit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  know those kids.....they always sit behind me when I fly.  

Recently had a waitress ask me if I was "done pickin at that?"   Yup, and done with eating here in the future as well.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stupid waiter tricks.

 

My wife and I were out, nice place. I ordered, handed the waiter my menu and then he asks "What kind of dressing would you like on your salad?"

I thought that the salad wasn't included but then thought I must be wrong if he's asking me this. 

 

Yup, not included. Asked to see a manager when the bill came with the charge for a salad. Never showed. One of the few times, probably the only time,  I didn't leave  a tip.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hat indoors really gets up my goat.  It's respect that sadly is diminishing quickly.

 

Wait staff who don't know that the way you leave your knife & fork tells them if your done with your meal or not.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: the ball cap. I occasionally wear one when I'm out running errands and have not had a good hair day. Sometimes when I'm out running said errands, I decide to eat lunch. Usually a diner, maybe the local Mexican or burger joint. Nothing fancy.

 

You would rather look at my ball cap than my hair after I've been wearing it due to a bad hair day. Trust me on this.

 

 

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kayb said:

Re: the ball cap. I occasionally wear one when I'm out running errands and have not had a good hair day. Sometimes when I'm out running said errands, I decide to eat lunch. Usually a diner, maybe the local Mexican or burger joint. Nothing fancy.

 

You would rather look at my ball cap than my hair after I've been wearing it due to a bad hair day. Trust me on this.

 

 

I get it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, lindag said:

I had an experience in a very nice local restaurant with dh and myself and two out of town guests.

We were seated at the only available table which was next to a couple and their two young boys (about 4, I'd guess).  The children yelled, threw silverware made so much noise that we could barely converse.  The parents, apparently, saw nothing and chatted with each other.  I was so mad I could have spit.

 

Yes, but you can never say anything to the miscreant parents about their "little darling". That was what started the brawl at the Fayetteville Chuck E. Cheese. 

 

15 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Stupid waiter tricks.

 

My wife and I were out, nice place. I ordered, handed the waiter my menu and then he asks "What kind of dressing would you like on your salad?"

I thought that the salad wasn't included but then thought I must be wrong if he's asking me this. 

 

Yup, not included. Asked to see a manager when the bill came with the charge for a salad. Never showed. One of the few times, probably the only time,  I didn't leave  a tip.

 

I kept looking for the Grrrr/Angry icon. That would really trip my trigger too. Good for you for not leaving an undeserved tip on that sneaky upsell. This comes from a former waitress who thinks non or low tippers are consummate slugs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Captain said:

The hat indoors really gets up my goat.  It's respect that sadly is diminishing quickly.

 

Wait staff who don't know that the way you leave your knife & fork tells them if your done with your meal or not.

Alas, wait staff can't treat that as an indicator of "done-ness" any more, because too few diners understand that particular convention. Heck, half of the time we're lucky if they know how to use cutlery at all. I die a little inside every time I watch my (don't get me started) son-in-law using an overhand, trowel grip to fork food into his open-while-chewing face. 

 

 

(...it's not his mother's fault, btw, she raised three kids single-handed after kicking their father out. One boy is full-on autistic, the daughter was every caricature of the teenager from hell, and my SIL is a slug. I respect her greatly, but you only have time in the day for so many battles and table etiquette didn't make the cut.)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Stupid waiter tricks.

 

My wife and I were out, nice place. I ordered, handed the waiter my menu and then he asks "What kind of dressing would you like on your salad?"

I thought that the salad wasn't included but then thought I must be wrong if he's asking me this. 

 

Yup, not included. Asked to see a manager when the bill came with the charge for a salad. Never showed. One of the few times, probably the only time,  I didn't leave  a tip.

Inexcusable!  (the waiter).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It takes a LOT to make me angry at a restaurant. But a pet peeve is asking for water with alcoholic beverages and not receiving it. I'm on vacation in Marco Island right now and am getting tired of begging for water. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, chromedome said:

Alas, wait staff can't treat that as an indicator of "done-ness" any more, because too few diners understand that particular convention. Heck, half of the time we're lucky if they know how to use cutlery at all.

 

This literally made me laugh out loud. xD Thanks!

 

8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

It takes a LOT to make me angry at a restaurant. But a pet peeve is asking for water with alcoholic beverages and not receiving it. I'm on vacation in Marco Island right now and am getting tired of begging for water. 

 

Yes, that makes me very uncomfortable too. I drink a lot of water, almost exclusively. Even when I order an occasional frozen margarita at a place that does them well, I want a glass of water too. I guess the wait person's mind goes "drink order: cocktail, better tips for me, water, no tip, phooey". I dunno, but my water does seem to be forgotten with cocktails more than any other time. I don't even think they do it on purpose, but still. Lack of malice doesn't help me in my discomfort. The water could easily be brought on the same trip with the cocktail, but asking for it again creates another trip and thus friction, making it more uncomfortable on both sides.

 

I'm convinced that a really good server can turn your restaurant experience into a really memorable, wonderful time, and a bad one can ruin it and your appetite, no matter how good the food might be, if it were served in a timely and thoughtful manner. I am one that does tend to get my dander up when you mess with my food. If I get irritated enough, I don't even want to eat anymore, and when I try, it gives me indigestion. It seems unreasonable to let a messed up meal experience ruin your day, but I have to admit I have done that, especially if it was expensive. I remember messed up meals from twenty years ago, but I also remember the perfect ones that were truly transcendent. I takes a great chef and a great server to make these magical times happen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you specifically request your water?  I ask because it is (or at least used to be) illegal to serve water in a restaurant here unless water was specifically requested.

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

  I ask because it is (or at least used to be) illegal to serve water in a restaurant here unless water was specifically requested.

 

 

One of the most futile drought remedies ever.  Anything that makes sense to a state legislature is probably wrong. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do you specifically request your water?  I ask because it is (or at least used to be) illegal to serve water in a restaurant here unless water was specifically requested.

 

 

  In all the years I've waitresses or worked in restaurants in NJ it was never illegal to serve water unless requested. That law must have existed prior to 1999. High end restaurants generally ask your water preference and bring it immediately and refill regularly. 

 

  Yes, I specifically request water when I order a glass or bottle of wine or a cocktail. I've never found it to be an issue at home in NJ but here in southern Fl at more casual places, it's been an issue three times out of the four times we've dined out. I don't think it's really about tips- the more casual places assume people want their alcoholic beverages ASAP. I bring a Tervis of water wherever I go (I do leave it in the car) so suck down a lot of water prior to dining. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do you specifically request your water?  I ask because it is (or at least used to be) illegal to serve water in a restaurant here unless water was specifically requested.

 

 

What?

 

It is illegal to serve unsolicited water, but OK to serve solicited water?

 

If true, (which I doubt)  it is insane,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

If true, (which I doubt)  it is insane,

What! You doubt that the law is an ass? I have no idea if it still the law in Ontario  but I do know it was at one time. If you were in a restaurant that served liquor and for some reason wanted to change your table to another table you could not carry your alcoholic drink to the new table.  You had to wait for a server to transfer your drink to the new table. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the time that I lived overseas I remember being in the States once for a visit and going to a restaurant with my sister and her husband. I was surprised when the server did not immediately place three glasses of water on the table, and mentioned this to my sister and husband. They said there's a water shortage and the new rulings stated that water should be served only if a person requested it. (This was during the 80s.) I requested it and got it. My sister and her husband ordered Diet Cokes. The reasoning here is that many people do not drink the water, so it shouldn't be given as a matter of course during a time of shortage. I know that my sister and her husband would have let the glass of water sit on the table, never would have taken a sip. I agree that it probably didn't put much of a dent in the water levels, but I think it was more a matter of trying to change our level of consciousness about things, and I wish it had continued. If water is requested, by all means serve it and continue to refill the empty glass, it means the person is drinking it; this is not about limiting consumption of water. But if it's just going to sit on the table and then get dumped down the drain? Not sure that's such a great idea. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×