• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for information on smaller chamber vacuum machines

lindaj1

Which of the smaller chamber vacuum packing machines work well?  I see VacMaster being used- what model if this is the preferred reliable reasonably priced machine to get?             

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

I have the Vacmaster VP-112. Most home users opt for the 112 or the 215. The 112 is lighter, has a shorter profile, and has a dry-piston pump that's maintenance free. The 215 has a pump that requires the occasional oil change, but it pulls a slightly stronger vacuum and it will last longer because moisture that gets sucked into the pump ends up in the oil, not in the pump itself. But it costs more, weighs more, is taller, and requires the occasional oil change.

They can both do vacuum compression/pickling and all the other modernist tricks. One's just bigger, heavier, burlier, and requires the occasional maintenance (and is slightly more expensive). Both should last a home user for a decade or more.

I like my Polyscience 300.  It was the lightest unit I could find.  Weight is very much indeed a factor.

https://polyscienceculinary.com/products/chamber-vacuum-sealer-300-series-120v-60hz

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 10/11/2017 at 6:49 PM, gfweb said:

Cabellas has what looks like a good price on VacMasters

They're about 100 bucks higher than the going rate for the 215, looks like.  Didn't check other machines.

I have had a 215 almost two years.  Run a couple thousand bags through it.  Works fine.  I've changed the oil twice, and should probably do it again.  Takes me about ten minutes, and the machine came with a decade's supply at my rate. 

the other difference between the 112 and 215 is the shape of the chamber.  the 112 is not as deep, but it's wider, and use a 12" wide bag.  (I think.)  the 215 can take a 10". 

When I was shopping chamber vacs, being able to lift/move it was important to me.  The 112 goes about 60lbs - this I can carry (not far mind you).  The others in the VM line were closer to 100lbs.  In four(?) years I've had a circuit card failure that was readily replaced, and the aux port failed.   I would do the 112 again.

• 2 weeks later...