Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

liuzhou

I just can't cook __________!

Recommended Posts

 

12 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

 

Which part of 

 

 

don't you understand?

 

You have been offering suggestions left, right and centre. @Anna N has already told you we don't want to know!

 

 

Couldn't help myself.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poached eggs. I attempt poached eggs when I have a hankering for scrambled egg soup.

 

Cutting up a whole chicken into parts. Chicken looks abused.

 

Mind you, these are techniques I can probably improve with a lot of practice...but I just don't want to.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pie crusts here. I don't know how many times I've tried.  My mother made them PERFECTLY.  Roll the dough out in between two sheets of waxed paper. Hers were amazing, mine come out crappy.  I use store bought, and dust the surface with powdered sugar to make it more edible. 

 

Heck, even for the pasties, I use store-bought crust!   Pasty crust should be thinner, but, if I can't get it right in a pie, its definitely not going to work in a pasty.  

 

 Its just not happening in this lifetime. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2017 at 10:26 PM, gfweb said:

Crack the  egg into a fine strainer to get rid of all the thin part of the egg white. Then dump that into swirling hot water.  Much neater result.

 

Yes, that's a Ruhlman trick too.

You can even 'rinse' more of the thin white off the egg under a very fine stream of water.

Now I'm starting to give away some of my secrets! xD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

 

Yes, that's a Ruhlman trick too.

You can even 'rinse' more of the thin white off the egg under a very fine stream of water.

Now I'm starting to give away some of my secrets! xD

 

I'm sure Ruhlman would rather you crack your egg into one of his egg spoons for poaching.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

 

Yes, that's a Ruhlman trick too.

You can even 'rinse' more of the thin white off the egg under a very fine stream of water.

Now I'm starting to give away some of my secrets! xD

 

Actually, as far as I know, they both got it from Harold McGee, as did I, for an article I wrote (ahem) way before either Kenji or Ruhlman wrote about that technique.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I hate more than things I can never make well is when I go to make a dish I've made so often I feel like I could make it in my sleep, and it just doesn't work. The most recent was lemon curd -- it just wouldn't thicken, and since I was making it for lemon bars, I ended up with overcooked, lemon glazed shortbread. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JAZ said:

What I hate more than things I can never make well is when I go to make a dish I've made so often I feel like I could make it in my sleep, and it just doesn't work. The most recent was lemon curd -- it just wouldn't thicken, and since I was making it for lemon bars, I ended up with overcooked, lemon glazed shortbread. 

Now, that I would say is exactly my situation.  Things which I depend upon, which I make my admittedly somewhat dubious reputation upon...suddenly go awry and I am left in a very bad state, indeed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two things I cooked once; really didn't like and never tried again was borscht and tongue.  I don't know if it was me or the food but I was never interested in trying to learn to make them turn out to my liking.


Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JAZ said:

What I hate more than things I can never make well is when I go to make a dish I've made so often I feel like I could make it in my sleep, and it just doesn't work. The most recent was lemon curd -- it just wouldn't thicken, and since I was making it for lemon bars, I ended up with overcooked, lemon glazed shortbread. 

 

This!

 

I used to make a milk loaf bread from the 1968 "Better Homes and Gardens" Cook Book all the time in the 70's and into the 80's. It was the only bread served in my home, and it was so delicious! Then I got caught up in a career and store bought bread had to do.

 

I tried making the old favorite from Better Homes a few years ago and it was just pretty bad. It disheartened me toward trying to make bread so much, I haven't again, with the exception of @kayb's rolls one time which came out very fine. 

 

I need to get over my little snit fit about this bread failure and move on. I am only hurting myself. Especially now that I have the Cuisinart Steam Oven which was inspired by professional bread ovens, I need to move on in making bread.

 

But yeah, JAZ. I know it is disorienting beyond logic and reason to have a long-trusted recipe blow up in your face.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

 

This!

 

I used to make a milk loaf bread from the 1968 "Better Homes and Gardens" Cook Book all the time in the 70's and into the 80's. It was the only bread served in my home, and it was so delicious! Then I got caught up in a career and store bought bread had to do.

 

I tried making the old favorite from Better Homes a few years ago and it was just pretty bad. It disheartened me toward trying to make bread so much, I haven't again, with the exception of @kayb's rolls one time which came out very fine. 

 

I need to get over my little snit fit about this bread failure and move on. I am only hurting myself. Especially now that I have the Cuisinart Steam Oven which was inspired by professional bread ovens, I need to move on in making bread.

 

But yeah, JAZ. I know it is disorienting beyond logic and reason to have a long-trusted recipe blow up in your face.

I have always, if I do say so myself, made excellent potato salad. Recently, I got on a trend of making it and it just...didn't...taste...right. Couldn't figure out why. I all but gave it up.

 

Then it dawned on me one day. I was using either spicy brown mustard or Dijon mustard, not plain old ballpark yellow mustard.

 

Potato salad wants ballpark mustard.

 

The potato salad universe, I am happy to report, is now righted again.

 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×