• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking without gas or power etc.

Jon Savage

I'm uncertain whether this has been covered or not; I don't think so as far as I can tell, - with the recent spurt of hurricanes as a reminder I think this is a topic worth exploring. Obviously, the solutions I propose, fit our needs but as always YMMV & I'm actually quite interested in what other folks do.

We live in Southern California so hurricanes are hardly a real concern but earthquakes are very much on our minds. an example in point - We had neither power nor gas, phone for that matter,  for a full week after the Northridge earthquake. We did just fine since I raided all the camping stuff from my truck & what we currently do has evolved from that experience.

We keep a fair bit of shelf stable food on hand both in our house & vehicles, what follows are examples that work for us.

In each truck:

5 Gallons water; the 2.5 gallon things from the supermarket work fine. These do have a shelf life so rotate.

5 days of food for 2 people - a combination of freeze dried stuff & also shelf stable supermarket thinks like Knnorr soups, dehydrated hash browns.

My connection's gone unstable; I'll have to finish this tomorrow. (sorry).

Edited by Jon Savage
clarity (log)
  • Like 2

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

A few years ago Time or Newsweek published a list of the counties in the US most subject to natural disasters.  Ocean County, nearby to here was first, a county in Southern California was second.  Another New Jersey county was third.

How does one cook without WiFi?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou