• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Kerry Beal

Chocdoc - Checking out Chocolate in Belgium

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I look forward to the review. I looked at the price for the mol d'art and continued to use my glass bowls and the microwave. But "fraction of the cost" gets my attention. I'm guessing a melter or two might help reduce some of the bowl juggling.

A melter or three with an EZTemper will mean no more bowl juggling at all. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I look forward to the review. I looked at the price for the mol d'art and continued to use my glass bowls and the microwave. But "fraction of the cost" gets my attention. I'm guessing a melter or two might help reduce some of the bowl juggling.

The cost in Europe is 99 euro - haven't found them for sale in the us yet - but I have an email out to the exclusive distributor and I'm asking the owner here to find out who his Canadian distributor is.

• Like 1

Seen in the airport! Not Delerium brand

IMG_6804.thumb.JPG.9f3d151f34c2ac574172c09d9e920f61.JPG

IMG_6805.thumb.JPG.66a76d79f7a3085c628cfc3ee8f72fa2.JPG

very short visit to the lounge - herbal lime and rosehip with raspberry - grabbed a couple of extra bags when I left if I need them for the flight 

• Like 5

Have a safe flight home. Thanks for taking us along on another adventure.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Seen in the airport! Not Delerium brand

IMG_6804.thumb.JPG.9f3d151f34c2ac574172c09d9e920f61.JPG

IMG_6805.thumb.JPG.66a76d79f7a3085c628cfc3ee8f72fa2.JPG

very short visit to the lounge - herbal lime and rosehip with raspberry - grabbed a couple of extra bags when I left if I need them for the flight 

For the flight I would have grabbed two bottles of Duvel ...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My 55 min flight 

IMG_6807.thumb.JPG.b68ada448e0a33f76a0bda8fd9dd30d6.JPG

Meat salad, cheese - couldn't have planned it better!

• Like 6

Haven't seen one of these outside the Vegas airport - I'm sure they exist

IMG_6810.thumb.JPG.099a88965574f3cd54ac455779f398e7.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

on the ones Ive seen in LV , you don't even have to light-up.

just inhale deeply.

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

on the ones Ive seen in LV , you don't even have to light-up.

just inhale deeply.

Strangely I could see no smoke in there 

maybe its an advanced E-Booth ?

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

maybe its an advanced E-Booth ?

There was some strange looking equipment in there.

• Haha 1

We are boarded the flight from Munich to Toronto - found a bottle of Ramazotti Amaro at the airport so all is not lost! 

I've already consumed the bottle of water provided and I'm most of the way through the glass they just brought around. Hoping I don't get anyone in the seat next to me since I've already spread all my projects across the common area.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Packing the luggage is still a bit of an issue though.

Some people would just ditch their dirty laundry somewhere, killing two birds.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Some people would just ditch their dirty laundry somewhere, killing two birds.

I think I'm a bit too thrifty for that - when you find a shirt that fits...

• Like 3

They fed me again earlier - tried to add soup and salad about an hour ago but I resisted 

IMG_6816.thumb.JPG.3d6b12ef602ac550a03efea9ea17f942.JPG

IMG_6817.thumb.JPG.b4c3e1ba6540a2dc541dc1616e833850.JPG

• Like 3

I don't seem to be able to download the pasta pics - not pretty so no loss

45 min to landing and so ends my adventure in Belgium - but stay tuned for next week when I head off to Paris!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

45 min to landing and so ends my adventure in Belgium - but stay tuned for next week when I head off to Paris!

Woman, you are a super -traveler.  It takes me a day to recover from going to the big city for a few hours O.o.  I admire you!

Can't wait for Paris.  How many days will you be there?  

Thanks for all this! Excited for Paris!

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Woman, you are a super -traveler.  It takes me a day to recover from going to the big city for a few hours O.o.  I admire you!

Can't wait for Paris.  How many days will you be there?  

I think it works out to about 10 days. 

• Like 2

This trip has been so interesting.  Can't wait for Paris!

For those of you interested in the melter that Kerry crammed in her suitcase to take home for a trial run, I found a video/advertisement for that melter.  At about the 30 second mark you can see the melter in relation to a chocolate mold. Also a link to Croquade's US website http://www.croquade.us/chocolate-machine.html.

Looks like this group in Delaware is a reseller and they have more details about the melter http://www.croquade.com/la-chocolatiere.

Edited by curls added website links (log)
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

And you bothered to go back across the ocean in between? (Unless you mean Paris, Ontario?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

And you bothered to go back across the ocean in between? (Unless you mean Paris, Ontario?)

Strangely I feel it is important to stay married. Just got back from Texas, going to Seattle after Paris.

• Like 3

• Similar Content

• By quiet1
      We have a local Italian bakery my mom loves, but they are very expensive and hard for her to get to. She also really likes cookbooks (she reads them even if she never cooks from them  ) so I was thinking for her birthday I could get her a cookbook that has similar cookies and cakes, and offer to make a few things for her on request also.

I'll obviously look myself, but eGullet is always well informed about the quality of cookbooks so I wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations. The thing about the Italian bakery is that the stuff they make seems to me to be not as sweet as classic American recipes, and often have more complex flavors and also are usually on the light end for whatever the item is. (Like even something that's intended to be dense doesn't have a very heavy sensation in the mouth.)
    • By MrJonathanGreen40
      One of my friends is leaving for Spain next week, and I’m planning to surprise her with a party before she leaves. Since she’s a huge lover of sweets, I decided to buy her a cake. I don’t know where to start looking, but my brother suggested that I buy from this online provider of custom cakes. I checked their website, and I think they have cakes that my friend will love. I haven’t bought anything yet because I want to be 100% sure that their cakes are truly excellent. Do you have any idea how I should examine cakes through the Internet? What are the things that I must take into consideration? Thanks!
    • By jedovaty
      Hi:

I'm making some homemade peanut butter cups, but shaping them like bon bons instead.  I don't have bon bon molds, so instead I'm dipping the peanut butter centers into tempered chocolate.  As the chocolate coating sets, it contracts and my soft peanut butter center squirts out a little.  Is there a way to prevent this, or do I need to do a second dipping?  I've tried with both frozen and room temp centers (although peanut butter with a little vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar doesn't seem to freeze at all).
    • By Kasia
      Chocolate cake with plums

The first cake I ever dared to bake by myself was a chocolate cake. I have since baked it many times, always using the same recipe, and many times I have spoiled it at the beginning of preparation. It is necessary to cool down the chocolate mixture before adding the rest of the ingredients. On a hot summer day this process is very long, so I accelerated it by putting the pot with the mixture into some cold water in the kitchen sink. Many times, by mistake, I turned on the tap and poured water onto the cooling mixture. In hindsight these situations were amusing, but at the time it wasn't funny.

This chocolate cake is excellent without any additives. You can enrich it with your favourite nuts or butter icing. Today I added some plums to the top of the cake. It was great and its sweet chocolate-plum aroma lingered long in my home.

Ingredients (25cm cake tin):
      200g of flour
      150g of butter
      3 tablespoons of cocoa
      120g of brown sugar
      15ml of almond milk
      100g of dark chocolate
      1 egg
      1 teaspoon of baking powder
      plums

Heat the oven up to 180C. Smooth the cake tin with the butter and sprinkle with dark cocoa.
      Put the butter, milk, sugar, cocoa and chocolate into the pan. Heat it until the chocolate is melted and all the ingredients have blended together well. Leave the mixture to cool down. Add the egg, flour and baking soda and mix them in. Put the dough into the cake tin. Wash the plums, cut them in half and remove the stones. Arrange the plum halves skin side down on top of the cake. Bake for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with caster sugar before serving.

Enjoy your meal!