• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - Checking out Chocolate in Belgium

Kerry Beal

Apparently dessert won't happen until intermission on the drag show - perhaps if they got it started!

At least I got tea - and milk after a few tries!

IMG_6385.thumb.JPG.ea80cdbc6fda2a6ce9a6a465ea4453d2.JPG

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

At least I got tea - and milk after a few tries!

Perhaps you should have gone in drag. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_6388.thumb.JPG.268f58d1ec53aeb100a301572a105d65.JPG

this is must be a familiar character - as the audience was very amusedIMG_6387.thumb.JPG.cd7102788eefee5b70c2d504b290b5f6.JPG

IMG_6386.thumb.JPG.8c500ec7a767484624bd07c07fe38eb2.JPG

l

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 5

Major costume failure - fixed by finding an older fellow in the audience who knew how to dance - clear issues with who got to lead though! The audience was delighted - I thought the wife was going to split a gut 

IMG_6391.thumb.JPG.1fd1815e09fc8c62de971f1fb5bfb04f.JPG

IMG_6392.thumb.JPG.11d4b3aa7f2d7a4c84b4521b86072613.JPG

peacock feathers everywhere - tiara handed off - one eyelash hanging off 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Perhaps you should have gone in drag. 

Would have been be'drag'gled by the time I got home in the pouring rain!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Would have been be'drag'gled by the time I got home in the pouring rain!

xDxDxD

Such a pun deserves more than one. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, MelissaH said:

One Belgian friend swears by Dandoy brand. They have their own stores. I'm still working on the special Belgian supermarket brand.

I second that: "Maison Dandoy" is fantastic, not only for their speculoos, but in general for fine cookies. When Inwas living in Waterloo it was on my way to work - go figure who occasionally had to skip dinner :$

There is a store just next to the Groote Markt ...

On 10/7/2017 at 9:40 AM, Allura said:

You need to have Brazil sauce. It's sweet, tart and fruity. And strangely works exceptionally well with fries. You can buy most of the sauces in squeeze bottles in the supermarket (you know the way to Delhaize already).

And next time in the friterie, please ask for a Bicky burger - a burger with a deep fried pattie made partially from horse meat and of course with Bicky sauce. Best enjoyed after a couple of Duvel beers in Delirium village ;)

Edited by Duvel
Autocorrect (log)
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I second that: "Maison Dandoy" is fantastic, not only for their speculoos, but in general for fine cookies. When Inwas living in Waterloo it was on my way to work - go figure who occasionally had to skip dinner :$

There is a store just next to the Groote Markt ...

Have enjoyed stuff from Dandoy before - saw at least one shop in my travels the other day. Figured when I'm doing the tour tomorrow I might scoot in there and grab a cookie or two.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I didn't expect Miili Vanilli - I thought drag Queens did their own singing? Help me out wise hive mind

From the glorious silliness that is "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert":

Bob: If you don't mind me asking, what kind of cabaret act do you do?
Felicia: We dress up in women's clothes and parade around mouthing the words to other people's songs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 minute ago, chromedome said:

From the glorious silliness that is "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert":

Well that explains it then - watched cage aux folles too many times!

Awaiting the arrival of the boss of Ecole at Lola - across the street from my hotel.

Came early to enjoy coffee - realized I'd forgotten papers - ran back to hotel - key wouldn't work in elevator - still back in time!

Lovely dried fruit and nuts (raisin alert) - and coffee

IMG_6405.thumb.JPG.9f7415d6ecc7a9d4f39b6b3a7b246813.JPG

IMG_6406.thumb.JPG.65427e36fc7ee5942be34fa1449adb93.JPG

of course with little chocolate pieces on the side 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Well that explains it then - watched cage aux folles too many times!

Actually, many do sing but many do not. I guess it comes down to confidence in one's own voice, or at least one's ability to sound feminine while singing. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Rather than be too familiar I didn't take a picture of the boss's croquettes (besides I think that's what I'll have for lunch tomorrow when we return to Lola). I had no such hesitation to take a picture of the artichoke being served to the man at the bar when we are on our way out! Maybe I'll have that for lunch tomorrow.

IMG_6407.thumb.jpg.b83d23d1bd290519e43565fa040228f8.jpg

IMG_6408.thumb.jpg.a5c663c3939ed2b5ae2547d9d2c8ee30.jpg

IMG_6409.thumb.jpg.736c81cbceadba75c66d50089d6dfd01.jpg 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

59da29f43b3cf_IMG_6410(1).thumb.jpg.e50984c88f3b7b17a04348b63046becb.jpg

59da29ff5bc22_IMG_6412(1).thumb.jpg.892ce27ed7bfde7d34c8c0e8e3a84e15.jpg

The fellow at Patrick Roger kept asking if I wanted a bag - finally I said "is it so I can hide the Frederic Blondeel bag?" and he admitted it was! So I took the bag.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Yes,  that is THE way to cook an artichoke.  None of the fancy smanchy cutting off of the thorny tips nor throwing away half the outer leaves to get to the heart.  If the heart is your only goal, just buy a package of frozen ones but don't waste all those wonderful leaves that are the lead up to it..  And part of the fun is separating the choke from that well earned heart.  Don't spoil it by doing it for me.  How do I know you didn't take a nibble on it while you were "de-fuzzing it?"  Just steam it with a bit of lemon juice and maybe a clove of garlic.  Bring me a tasty sauce for dipping and a bowl for my scraped  leaves and leave me to my 'choke please.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

nice teapot !

would look good next to those two Mussel thing-ies

just saying

some times :  Spot It ? Buy It.

not often Id say.

You must be thinking I brought the giant trunk - instead of a mere suitcase!

• Haha 1