• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - Checking out Chocolate in Belgium

Kerry Beal

...and a lovely, nice touch of hospitality.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

The staff at the hotel have been very wonderful to me - sneaking butter out of the kitchen after hours, giving me suggestions for places to eat and find things. Of course I had to take them down some of the chocolate I brought with me.

This was tucked under the door a short while ago.

IMG_6758.thumb.jpg.d24b15c5263212a84427ed7de6464091.jpg

That's so nice!!!!

I used to have decent handwriting....then I got older and it went to hell in a hand basket.   I could've been a doctor.

:P

7 hours ago, Shelby said:

Love sprouts on a sandwich.  

For some reason my brain initially interpreted "sprouts" as a verb, and I had a hard time understanding where you were going with that. 

Obviously my caffeine consumption today has been inadequate. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, adey73 said:

ok why has no-one asked about this.. what is it?!

It's a mayonnaise-based sauce with pineapple, mustard, bit of curry and something acidic (lemon, tamarind or vinegar). I believe there is a dash of soy sauce in it, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

That's so nice!!!!

I used to have decent handwriting....then I got older and it went to hell in a hand basket.   I could've been a doctor.

:P

I used to have good handwriting too! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

It's a mayonnaise-based sauce with pineapple, mustard, bit of curry and something acidic (lemon, tamarind or vinegar). I believe there is a dash of soy sauce in it, but I could be wrong.

Sounds about right though. 

Breakfast this am on feast mode with high protein - I don't usually eat breakfast at home so it's a challenge.

IMG_6760.thumb.jpg.c1cf7f5e1e10eda1a994203874dc8ad8.jpg

Tea - rooibos with some camomile and mint - next time camomile in a bag.

IMG_6759.thumb.jpg.39c413545899b1eccd14b482a6316aaa.jpg

Big plate of meats and cheeses.

IMG_6761.thumb.jpg.825678832ad7f87c7373653036451bbe.jpg

IMG_6762.thumb.jpg.1711b6d24f866ea39f47a483444d2b7e.jpg

No blue ring!

• Like 5

So a most interesting thing happened - I had called yesterday am over to the shop of Laurent Gerbaud - hoping to leave an EZtemper with him. He'll be back at 6 they said, called at 6, nope - won't be in until 10am tomorrow they said, called at 10, no one there, called at 10:15 - he'll be here by 11 they said. So I went walkabout - and was just outside the hotel around 11 when I was ready to call - when who should I see but Laurent putting a couple of his friends from Thailand into a taxi. Well - that could not have worked out any better - he even carried it back to his shop! Saved me the arm stretching.

So I spent the better part of the rest of the morning at his shop - he's just won a gold at the World Finals of the International Chocolate Awards - Gold: Laurent Gerbaud Chocolatier  (Belgium) – Ganache aux olives Taggiasche. They were busy trying to find the best way to display the award at the shop to show it off to good advantage. 

I got to taste this awarding winning chocolate - it was excellent. A well deserved win.

IMG_6768.thumb.jpg.09eb6e935b4e0b3d45e8709f260bfcc2.jpg

It's the one on the left!

IMG_6767.thumb.jpg.9639c2332054eaa817a0f003db2a9397.jpg

• Like 12

So then I went walkabout again - this time looking for some lunch. Decided to stop at Leon's as it had been suggested as good for mussels. Being Monday it wasn't crazy busy which was nice. I found it interesting that the waiter brought me my bill unasked and when he gave me the credit card machine suggested how I could put in a tip! IMG_6774.thumb.jpg.140dbee0f4e8e5d79f5d264a3f427cd9.jpg

IMG_6775.thumb.jpg.70b37e7472dcae9ec1b1ef5034bf301d.jpg

Tomatoes, cream, herbs. 

IMG_6779.thumb.jpg.527a5b5d5c9ecbd066364852ff4721ea.jpg

Would madam prefer ketchup? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Remember that great big squash from the beginning of my trip? Not sure if the restaurant is using it one serving at a time or not.

IMG_6763.thumb.jpg.a98f58b9b8ab1b230f07200461e3c178.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Told you xD

I hope you turned 180 degrees and went into the Delirium village ..!

I must confess I did not!

Walked around looking for a starchy dinner - Italian place (the one that hasn't moved) doesn't open for an hour. But there is this great little cocktail bar right next to the donut shop. 

I stopped for a cocktail. When I told him what I typically like but that I didn't want another Negroni - he asked if I liked gin  and of course I answered in the affirmative. I think my hubby would like this drink it's fruity enough. Not quite what I was picturing for gin and grapefruit. I'm sure I'll struggle through.

IMG_6786.thumb.JPG.fe8c5154158ec9020eda2eba05e9cf9b.JPG

image.thumb.jpg.2485c794d668d4b4a32adf5572effe38.jpg

but they brought chips!

• Like 5

Remember this little baby from earlier in the thread?

IMG_6457.thumb.jpg.12e8d4f99633afd84d7b57cf9c9dd6f3.jpg

This is a 3 litre warmer assembled in Belgium that is sold to home chocolate makers. It comes with a thermometer, a polycarbonate mold, a scraper and a recipe book. But it apparently keeps a reliable temperature and would be a nice size for a small melter and is a fraction of the cost of the 3kg mol d'art melters that I have.There is a 110V wired version that was introduced in Chicago last year by the company and Laurent.

I asked Laurent to see if he could get me one for assessment. If it works as reliably as he thinks - I'll be heartily recommending it.

When I got home from dinner I was staring at my luggage trying to determine how I might fit it in if he was able to get it for me - when I noticed there was a box on the floor! My favourite front desk staff must have dropped it in my room.

IMG_6794.thumb.jpg.e94a0c3df950daefbe8ec3fd60216b0a.jpg

IMG_6796.thumb.jpg.d2e600b0ae2d493ebca8eeccfb0d4615.jpg

So - unpacked from it's box - and I see it's the 110V version so I'll be able to try it right away when I get home. 

Packing the luggage is still a bit of an issue though.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Packing the luggage is still a bit of an issue though.

Extra underwear and socks are both highly overrated. Ditch them. xD:D:D

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

So - unpacked from it's box - and I see it's the 110V version so I'll be able to try it right away when I get home.

I look forward to the review. I looked at the price for the mol d'art and continued to use my glass bowls and the microwave. But "fraction of the cost" gets my attention. I'm guessing a melter or two might help reduce some of the bowl juggling.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.