• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - Checking out Chocolate in Belgium

Kerry Beal

IMG_6518.thumb.JPG.8f8c4e59ee040338d869fad13dfc6b86.JPG

Negroni - made the poor girl climb to

get the Noily Pratt which turned out to be white! I stood behind the chair to make sure she didn't fall.

IMG_6520.thumb.JPG.2fa3eab7bbbf248f0f871399cc226c4d.JPG

Tomato  soup

IMG_6521.thumb.JPG.64ca2050f581e5f964de456cf5cccd67.JPG

Rose

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Missed this - where is that found?

In the little side street where the main entrance to the Delirium village is found. If you walk from the Groote Markt through the Rue de Bouchers, turn at the end to the left and walk maybe 30 m, there is the pub with all the monastery beers (can't miss it). Turn right, that's the street.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IEATRIO said:

If you want to try another local neighborhood chocolatier, I suggest my favorite from when I lived nearbyy, Irsi, Rue du Bailli 15, off of Avenue Louise.

Thanks - I'll check that out when we are back in Brussels.

9156A9E7-6451-4AA1-8975-82BD063B3DE2.jpeg.17bcb75a143301b7137a3c708b4d4e8d.jpeg

Salad in a jar? And?

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Tartar - not sure what's in their special blend 

Very strange.   And with cooked egg.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Tartar - not sure what's in their special blend 

Aah ... "américain préparé" :)

Without fries ?? Usually the put Worcestershire sauce, bit of mayo or egg yolk, brine from a jar of capers and a bit of tabasco. You should receive all these fixings on the side as well, together with minced raw onion and capers / pickles for mixing yourself.

The "salad in a glass" thing was big a couple of years ago, followed by the "soup in a glass". Haven't seen that in a while ...

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

Aah ... "américain préparé" :)

Without fries ?? Usually the put Worcestershire sauce, bit of mayo or egg yolk, brine from a jar of capers and a bit of tabasco. You should receive all these fixings on the side as well, together with minced raw onion and capers / pickles for mixing yourself.

The "salad in a glass" thing was big a couple of years ago, followed by the "soup in a glass". Haven't seen that in a while ...

Fries were had - they just weren't on the table yet

21 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_6556.thumb.JPG.477631b0ab19e71c0e47ab7c661ed27f.JPG

Unless it's a trick of the lighting, it looks like they need someone to teach them how to properly hard boil an egg. ¬¬ xD

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

26 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Unless it's a trick of the lighting, it looks like they need someone to teach them how to properly hard boil an egg. ¬¬ xD

I did have that thought too

• Like 2

Once you have a Negroni and a glass of wine - you forget to take a picture of your amuse - eggs with those little shrimp 

IMG_6592.thumb.JPG.53e494e5d80b5fdaf8f0fe778d2f7a4f.JPG

IMG_6594.thumb.JPG.1d10529dd1029bc2ae88f2e7f55ef8af.JPG

IMG_6596.thumb.JPG.4ac830247fe2945ece3277125dee1f5e.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Might be just me but your meals aren't jumping out and wowing me this trip.  And, yes, that green ringed egg was a surprise for sure.  Usually seeing what you eat has me :raz:greener than that egg!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

The trick is to steam them rather than boil them. Steaming is a bit more tolerant on timing - and they peel easier.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

The trick is to steam them rather than boil them. Steaming is a bit more tolerant on timing - and they peel easier.

I think the trick for accompanying américain préparé is to leave it uncooked and discard the egg white ...

• Like 3