• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best 2 bits of kitchen gear you obtained in the last 2 years?

Jon Savage

I've spent most of the last few years divesting myself of kitchen stuff, so it requires a bit of thought. I'd say probably my AeroPress would be a shoo-in for one of the two spots: It fits the timeframe, and since I (usually) only have one coffee a day now I really appreciate having a good one. 

The mint-condition Vitamix I found for $25 at the thrift store has been used exactly twice, so that's not a strong contender. I've just picked up a backup for my 80s vintage Cuisinart food processor, but I'm not really going to count that one. The pressure cooker I bought for and then inherited from my father might become a good long-term friend, but I've only used it once so far. So...I'd go with the pasta attachment for my KitchenAid as the second one. My old manual Imperia died a couple of years ago, and I'd missed making pasta regularly until I bought this a few months back. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

For under two years my choice is Instapot which is used on a weekly/daily basis and my latest acquisition a Watanabe Gyuto knife which is used/worshipped every day. Love them both. I leave out quite a lot of other stuff as like @btbyrd I'm a fairly early adopter so much of my kit is older than two years. Chamber vac and Polyscience circulator are well over time. 

All as a result of egullet and what I have learned here. D

• Like 1

Thanks to the enabling here I've managed to acquire a new iSi Soda Charger...something I didn't know I needed until the topic  appeared here.  I actually owned one previously (an off-brand) that was stored away in the pantry and when I dug it out to use I found that the charger holder had disappeared, probably in the move here some eleven years ago.   So when I couldn't find a replacement for the holder I had to buy a whole new bottle.  However, it is now happily residing in my fridge staying cold and I use it almost daily.

• Like 2

Over the last two years....probably the enormous pressure canner (which I use quite a bit nowadays); and the miniature Rapala fillet knife.  I had many more cool kitchen toys before the house fire. I've been slowly prioritizing things that I actually need, then get them when its affordable. 

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

My Oster French door countertop oven.  It fits a 15-INCH PIZZA PAN, which I use a lot.

I still have my 19 year old Cadco, which takes 1/2 size sheet pans, but a big round pizza pan or my 14 inch baking pans

will not fit.

The Oster has performed beautifully for me.  I have baked some very TALL sponge cakes in tall tube pans with the "feet" and they had almost 2 inches of clearance.

Can't do that in the Cadco.

And my Ninja Coffee Bar 2nd generation.  

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 2017-10-03 at 7:41 PM, weinoo said:

You certainly won't find a better motor/base in a new Cuisinart...perhaps you can just find a replacement bowl?

I replaced a 40-year old Cuisinart because the bowl became touchy (wouldn't close properly, leaked a little), and I can't believe the cheapo feel of the new one compared to the old one.

I agree, the plastic looks stressed in various places on my new cuisineart.  It will probably cost a fortune for parts so my advice is  to be very, very careful with this machine's parts when cleaning.

Number 1 would have to be the Cuisinart CSO-300N.  On the average I use it more than daily.*  It goes where no woman, or at least this woman, has gone before.

Number 2 is harder.  I've had my chamber vacuum sealer, Anova, Fissler pressure cookers, Biospec homogenizer, Zojirushi grill and rice cooker for too long.  One candidate would be my Watanabe blade.  But the Watanabe I use sparingly and only when it would do best for leafy greens.

I'd guess I'd have to say with no shame number 2 is my KitchenAid pasta roller set.  Which reminds me, cooler weather is on its way.

*Twice today.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou