• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wonderbag

suzilightning

I just saw this demonstrated and find it ... intriguing especially since it has an environmental component.  Could not find anything on it here.  Anyone else have any experience with this?   

I'm about to have to do some kitchen reno and am thinking this might be useful ......

Many thanks for any of your thoughts.

suzi

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Yes, I think it is sad that this is promoted as a product for dirt poor people who could not possibly ever afford $60 or $70 USD. There are a lot of YouTube videos about how to make your own for much less. Still though, sewing became a kind of niche market here many years ago and fabric by the yard has become expensive when you can even find a store that sells it. People who order online all the time might have spare styrofoam packing peanuts lying around. I sincerely doubt that describes the poor population of South Africa, as I think I remember their income was 20 cents a day. It would take them the better part of a year to buy this thing at $60 if food, housing and everything else was free.

I'm also concerned about suggestions that it would be good for a many hours long cook. Food safety, you know.

I bet it would make a very effective transport device for potluck dishes for us in more fortunate situations, though. But yeah, I usually wrap potluck dishes in thick, fluffy and much more durably washable towels.

It's a nice idea for some people, I guess, but not for South Africans or anyone else who could never afford it, and I really don't like that they are trying to get people to believe that is benefiting that population.

Now, if I spaced and missed the part in the videos where the nice white blonde lady was giving these things away to needy South Africans, please correct me. If that happened, some people who could afford it might be more inclined to buy one to support her humanitarian efforts.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <