• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Awful to Good

IndyRob

Long story short - I decided to make some authenticish Mexican Red sauce from dried chiles.  I watched various YouTube videos in Spanish and English and settled on what seemed a traditional approach.  After toasting some of the chiles and adding some chicken broth, I simmered and tasted - awful.  It wasn't done yet, but I'm accustomed to building flavors - not trying to (for lack of a better word) salvage them.

But I continued on faith.  After straining, reducing, adding the required cumin, oregano and salt, something started to work.  It did take a bit of adjusting, but in the end the result was remarkably good.

I thought about Mole, which seems similar.  Is Mexican cuisine unique in this regard?  I can't think of anything in American, British or French cuisine where you start out with something awful and somehow fix it to great effect.

Edited by IndyRob (log)

I'm curious as to what you thought was awful about it - was it bitter, or just flavorless, or something else?  I can't think of any western cuisines that do this, but I can think of a lot of SE Asian ones - making something with fermented shrimp paste that originally smells really strong and slightly putrid, but winds up being something magical...

Next time, remove the seeds before toasting. Then, after toasting the chilis, soak them for a while in very hot water, then discard the water. That should help with the bitterness.

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

Next time, remove the seeds before toasting....

I did that.  But that's not the point.  My end result, as I said, was remarkably good.  I just don't know how, from that early starting point, one figures out that it needs just a bit of some of those other things.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me most foods are awful until they are fully cooked.

Ever eaten a raw potato?

Most spices are pretty awful until cooked. That's why we tend not to put them in salads. Flavours take time and heat to meld and sometimes to mellow..

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

13 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me most foods are awful until they are fully cooked.

Ever eaten a raw potato?

Most spices are pretty awful until cooked. That's why we tend not to put them in salads. Flavours take time and heat to meld and sometimes to mellow..

I don't think a raw potato is awful - just unappealing.  The taste doesn't change much with cooking.  It just needs softening and some help from salt and perhaps other things.  Raw meat or fish can even be a preferred treatment.  Both can also be dried similarly to chiles but not be awful.

We don't really eat spices as a primary, or even secondary component.  We put spices on things like potatoes.

44 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

We don't really eat spices as a primary, or even secondary component.  We put spices on things like potatoes.

Whether spices are primary, secondary or whatever is utterly irrelevant. They contribute to the taste of a dish, sometimes greatly. And if some are still raw or partly so, the dish can taste awful. As you found out with the chillies.

Whether a raw potato is awful or not rather depends on one's definition of awful.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Whether a raw potato is awful or not rather depends on one's definition of awful.

So I guess I'm the only one who steals slices or juliennes of raw potato when I'm cutting them up for scalloped or fries? I always get out the salt and pepper, and quite like a raw potato when I'm hungry. One good thing about living alone is that you never have to cook unless you're hungry. 

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I, too, am a raw potato muncher. 

In the "tastes awful along the way" camp, I'd put homemade mustard. Until it mellows, its pretty harsh.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com