• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

Long story short - I decided to make some authenticish Mexican Red sauce from dried chiles.  I watched various YouTube videos in Spanish and English and settled on what seemed a traditional approach.  After toasting some of the chiles and adding some chicken broth, I simmered and tasted - awful.  It wasn't done yet, but I'm accustomed to building flavors - not trying to (for lack of a better word) salvage them.

But I continued on faith.  After straining, reducing, adding the required cumin, oregano and salt, something started to work.  It did take a bit of adjusting, but in the end the result was remarkably good.

I thought about Mole, which seems similar.  Is Mexican cuisine unique in this regard?  I can't think of anything in American, British or French cuisine where you start out with something awful and somehow fix it to great effect.

IndyRob

IndyRob

Long story short - I decided to make some authenticish Mexican Red sauce from dried chiles.  I watched various YouTube videos in Spanish and English and settled on what seemed a traditional approach.  After toasting some of the chiles and adding some chicken broth, I simmered and tasted - awful.  It wasn't done yet, but I'm accustomed to building flavors - not trying to (for lack of a better word) salvage them.

But I continued on faith.  After straining, reducing, adding the required cumin, oregano and salt, something started to work.  It did take a bit of adjusting, but in the end the result was remarkably good.

I thought about Mole, which seems similar.  Is Mexican cuisine unique in this regard?  I can't think of anything in American, British or French cuisine where you start out with something awful and somehow fix it.