• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Workshop 2018 Niagara on the Lake

Kerry Beal

5 minutes ago, VistaGardens said:

Hi Kerry-

Thanks for your tireless work on all this.  Please sign me up for Thursday, both master classes and whatever else there is.  For all.  Folks start heading out on Sunday night, right?  If anyone is going up to Ottawa, I'd love to hitch a ride.

No real sign up for Tomric. And I have nothing planned for those who might be around on Friday but not at the classes. Not sure if folks might want to check out ChocolateFX again?

And yes - most folks head out on Sunday eve or occasionally Monday am.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Just now, VistaGardens said:

OK, so it all starts on Friday is what you are saying?  Just trying to figure out my flight and hotel plans.  thanks

Well - if you want to come to Tomric - that's on Thursday - but otherwise 9 am Friday we'll start the Master's classes and there will be things to do until Sunday when we finish.

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Saturday Night Dinner

Beth Wilson (allergic to mushrooms) - did I mention the wonderful mushroom soup that Dave makes?

I loved mushrooms most of my life.   Unfortunately they don't love me back. 

I will watch you guys enjoy his mushroom soup.  I can't wait to see what he does for dinner this time.  

1 minute ago, Sue PEI said:

Kerry, Can you please put me down for both master classes as well as the trip to Tomric.   Thanks!

Will do.

Saturday Night Dinner

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

Matthew Hayday

YetiChocolates

pastryani (lacto ovo vegetarian)

Beets3

Beth Wilson (allergic to mushrooms) - did I mention the wonderful mushroom soup that Dave makes?

DC Hayden

VistaGardens

TinaB

Gwbyls

Diana D

Master's Class - Nut Pastes, Giandujas, Praline

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

Beets3

pastyani

lambrecht gourmet

Beth Wilson

DC Hayden

VistaGardens

TinaB

SuePEI and Jane

Diana D

Master's Class - Bars 

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

YetiChocolates

pastryani

lambrecht gourmet

Beth Wilson

Chocoera

DC Hayden

VistaGardens

SuePEI and Jane

Gwbyls

Diana D

Very excited to be joining my first workshop. Kerry, are the Master Classes filled already? If not if there is space in both or either, yes, please. Yes to Tomric and yes to dinner. 

Thank you.

Diana 

Just now, Diana D said:

Very excited to be joining my first workshop. Kerry, are the Master Classes filled already? If not if there is space in both or either, yes, please. Yes to Tomric and yes to dinner. 

Thank you.

Diana 

@allegude and I have been discussing it - as long as there are two of us we think we can expand the numbers in the Master's classes by a few. I'm sure there will be drop outs closer to the time that will bring the numbers back into line a bit.

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

@allegude and I have been discussing it - as long as there are two of us we think we can expand the numbers in the Master's classes by a few. I'm sure there will be drop outs closer to the time that will bring the numbers back into line a bit.

It will be interesting to see how much the pre-payment for the master classes and the workshop cuts down on the drop outs.

Just now, curls said:

It will be interesting to see how much the pre-payment for the master classes and the workshop cuts down on the drop outs.

Indeed - it's going to be the first time I've done it. We won't have Anna to be collector - cause I know I can't do that and all the other stuff at the same time.  And I was pretty determined after I was left with the expense out of pocket the last time that that wasn't going to happen again! I know in the years when they have collected ahead there have still be situations where folks couldn't show - but then they made their own arrangements for giving up their 'ticket'.

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

RE the melangers - there are two units that can be had - the tilting - which has a capacity of around 10 pounds and the non tilting which has capacity of 8 lbs. Price will be $235 for the smaller and $270 for the larger tilting (that's US dollars). We will use the units for the class then you can take home the one you have bought. 

If you can give me an idea of who might want one I'll make sure he brings enough along. He also sells Domori cacao nibs - really nice for making your own nib to bar chocolate. 

Ouch.  I paid US$300 for my tilting unit.  But yes, they work great for grinding nuts.  Someday I may try chocolate.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@JoNorvelleWalker thanks for the melanger endorsement. Another way for you to think of it -- the only way to get this discount is to also pay for the chocolate workshop -- unless you planned to go to that too, your melanger is cheaper.  ;-)  Do you use the tilting feature a lot? What advantage is there to tilting vs. non-tilting? What is the smallest quantity of nuts that you have successfully ground?