Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Workshop 2018 Niagara on the Lake


Kerry Beal
 Share

Recommended Posts

Batch two under construction. This is regular corn starch. A lot thicker and slightly more difficult to work with. I did discover however that if you cook it to the same temperature as batch one you will have 77 to 78% solids. That is far better than the  instructions that read cook for 20 to 25 minutes until smooth and clear. My patience runs out before that – I am better to have a temperature goal so I won't quit.

 

IMG_8784.thumb.JPG.3be93de7bb6a75caa7eb31198dc90a2c.JPG

 

IMG_8785.thumb.JPG.dcdd8e7df338dcb50a4b37a30e53a189.JPG

 

 

image.thumb.jpg.c4d9e0879e7120c65cfae134a66b16df.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, curls said:

How do the two compare? Can you make good Turkish delight with regular corn starch?

Haven't cut the second one yet - but the tastes of it I've had I think I like it better. But it may not be the texture as much as that I used tartaric acid rather than citric in this one. I think it argues that you can make perfectly great turkish delight with regular corn starch. I just have to figure out the perfect way to pour it out - cause it sticks even worse to parchment!

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a reminder - last day to pay is Friday April 6. 

 

Here is the link to pay.  Paypal.me link

 

Beyond that date - if you haven't paid - you will be considered to be on the wait list and and will have to see if someone drops out and wants to sell you their space. 

 

As in previous years - there are no refunds - you can sell your space to someone who is interested in coming but missed the deadline. In that case payment will have to be arranged between yourselves. 

 

Also last day for hotel room booking - Tuesday April 17th - 

 

Copying the information from the previous post - 

 

Phone number for Hilton Garden Inn - 905 984 4200

address 500 York Road, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario

 

The rates are accessed but identifying yourself as part of the EGullet Chocolate Conference - booking code is ECB18

 

It is a long weekend in Canada so the rates aren't as good as other years - the suggestion that we change our dates to get better rates was not entertained by me!

 

There are taxes on top of the quoted rates

 

Tuesday 15th, wed 16th, Thurs 17th - $119 

Friday, Sat and Sun 18-20 - $189

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Haven't cut the second one yet - but the tastes of it I've had I think I like it better. But it may not be the texture as much as that I used tartaric acid rather than citric in this one. I think it argues that you can make perfectly great turkish delight with regular corn starch. I just have to figure out the perfect way to pour it out - cause it sticks even worse to parchment!

 

 

Looking forward to your texture reports but this sounds very promising! Would be nice to be able to make this without needing the elusive thin boiling starch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well - I think I like it better than the thin boiling starch version. 

 

 I do want to do one more version where it's brought to about 75% solids and then some gelatin is added. I think that will have the texture of a Big Turk bar  - and might even be moldable.

 

IMG_8796.thumb.JPG.a38f3e39f4af2675bfc2337d765cd948.JPG

 

 

 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/2/2018 at 11:20 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Just a reminder - last day to pay is Friday April 6. 

 

Here is the link to pay.  Paypal.me link

 

Beyond that date - if you haven't paid - you will be considered to be on the wait list and and will have to see if someone drops out and wants to sell you their space. 

 

As in previous years - there are no refunds - you can sell your space to someone who is interested in coming but missed the deadline. In that case payment will have to be arranged between yourselves. 

 

Also last day for hotel room booking - Tuesday April 17th - 

 

Copying the information from the previous post - 

 

Phone number for Hilton Garden Inn - 905 984 4200

address 500 York Road, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario

 

The rates are accessed but identifying yourself as part of the EGullet Chocolate Conference - booking code is ECB18

 

It is a long weekend in Canada so the rates aren't as good as other years - the suggestion that we change our dates to get better rates was not entertained by me!

 

There are taxes on top of the quoted rates

 

Tuesday 15th, wed 16th, Thurs 17th - $119 

Friday, Sat and Sun 18-20 - $189

Unfortunately the way my month of May is unfolding, I will not be able to make the trip to the workshop.

I was so looking forward to it and hate that I will miss out on meeting everyone and learning new ideas.

So therefore I am off all the lists.

I do hope I will get to attend one in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, carol lang said:

Unfortunately the way my month of May is unfolding, I will not be able to make the trip to the workshop.

I was so looking forward to it and hate that I will miss out on meeting everyone and learning new ideas.

So therefore I am off all the lists.

I do hope I will get to attend one in the future.

Carol - sorry to hear that - was looking forward to seeing you. But I'll catch up with you in NYC in June for the FCIA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Workshop Participants

RobertM - P

curls - P

gfron1 (tentative)

pastryani - P

tikidoc (+1) - P

ChocolateMom - P

Audrey Brown

Chocolot - P

MelissaH - P

Casey - P

Beets3 - P

YetiChocolates!!!!!- P

VistaGardens - P

Diana D - P

Gwbyls - P

Chocoera - P

Beth Wilson - P

lambrecht gourmet - P

Sue PEI - P and Jane - P

Kata

Anna Chi - P

WayUpNorth  - P

Matthew Hayday - P

DC Hayden - P

lebowits - P

chefmd - P

ChefRamjee - P

Valerie B - P

Bernie Mueller - P

EmilyZ - P

 

Saturday Night Dinner

 

curls - P

RobertM - P

Chocolot - P

Matthew Hayday - P

YetiChocolates - P

pastryani (lacto ovo vegetarian) - P

Beets3 - P

Beth Wilson - P (allergic to mushrooms) - did I mention the wonderful mushroom soup that Dave makes?

DC Hayden - P

VistaGardens - P

Gwbyls - P

Diana D - P

tikidoc +1 - P

Melissa and Casey - P

Audrey Brown (lots of red wine)

lebowits - P

Chocolatemom +1 - P

chefmd - P

Anna Chi - P

Valerie B - P

lambrecht gourmet and Nancy - P

Way Up North - P

Bernie Mueller - P

Chocoera - P

EmilyZ - P

 

Master's Class - Nut Pastes, Giandujas, Praline

 

curls - P 

RobertM - P

Chocolot - P

Beets3 - P

pastyani - P

Beth Wilson - P

DC Hayden - P

VistaGardens - P

SuePEI - P and Jane - P

Diana D - P

Audrey Brown

tikidoc - P

lebowits - P

Anna Chi- P

Way Up North - P

ChefRamjee - P

Valerie B - P

Bernie Mueller - P

 

Master's Class - Bars 

 

curls - P

RobertM - P

Chocolot - P

YetiChocolates - P

pastryani - P

lambrecht gourmet - P

Beth Wilson - P

Chocoera - P

DC Hayden - P

VistaGardens - P

SuePEI - P and Jane - P

Gwbyls - P

Diana D - P

tikidoc - P

lebowits - P

Anna Chi - P

Way Up North - P

ChefRamjee - P

Valerie B - P

Bernie Mueller - P

 

 

Melangers

 

RobertM - tilting

DC Hayden - tilting

SuePEI - tilting

tikidoc  - tilting 

VistaGardens - tilting

 

 

 

 

 

 

@patrisdipping bowl

 

Kerry Beal

curls

tikidoc

Diana D

Sue PEI

MelissaH

ChocolateMom

RobertM x 5 (I think)

Anna Chi

 

 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like Tate and Lyle make 2 thin boiling starches (says she who just found a sample of one of them in her collections of molecular ingredients while searching for low methoxyl pectin - which she did not find) - one is called Confectioners G, the other Thingum. I have a question out to them about the difference and I will talk to them more at the PMCA about getting some samples for the workshop and also about how their distribution system works for smaller purchases. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2018 at 5:30 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Over here on the Home Made Knives and other Home Made Kitchen tools - our own @patris has been making lovely ceramic dipping bowls. When I was down for the Christmas production party we were using one of her ceramic bowls as a dipping bowl because it was just the right shape and depth and we got to talking about how perfect it would be with a built in @Chris Hennes dipping wire. She ran with the idea and went a step further - adding an extra amount of clay on the bottom for heat retention.  

 

I've talked her into making some for any of us who might want to take when home when they come for the workshop. She says she'll meet us at Tomric on Thursday. Anyone who wants one and isn't going to be at Tomric - just say the word and we'll bring one back for you. $30 US will get you one of these beauties. I've got my order in already!

 

Let's start another list here - 

 

@patris dipping bowl

 

Kerry Beal

 

 

totally late to the party....but when using these, are you keeping your chocolate in temper just by a thermometer and heat gun?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2018 at 8:21 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Ok - going to put everything in one place

Workshop Participants

RobertM

curls

gfron1 (tentative)

pastryani

tikidoc (+1)

ChocolateMom

Audrey Brown

TandemChocoPC

Chocolot

MelissaH 

Beets3

YetiChocolates!!!!!

VistaGardens

Diana D

Gwbyls 

Chocoera + 1 staff 

Beth Wilson 

lambrecht gourmet

Sue PEI and Jane

Kata

Anna Chi

WayUpNorth

Carol Lang and Max

Matthew Hayday

DC Hayden

TinaB

 

 

Saturday Night Dinner

 

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

Matthew Hayday

YetiChocolates

pastryani (lacto ovo vegetarian)

Beets3

Beth Wilson (allergic to mushrooms) - did I mention the wonderful mushroom soup that Dave makes?

DC Hayden

VistaGardens

TinaB

Gwbyls

Diana D

tikidoc +1

carol and max 

Melissa and Casey

Audrey Brown (lots of red wine)

 

Master's Class - Nut Pastes, Giandujas, Praline

 

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

Beets3

pastyani

lambrecht gourmet

Beth Wilson

DC Hayden

VistaGardens

TinaB

SuePEI and Jane

Diana D

Audrey Brown

tikidoc

 

Master's Class - Bars 

 

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

YetiChocolates

pastryani

lambrecht gourmet

Beth Wilson

Chocoera

DC Hayden

VistaGardens

SuePEI and Jane

Gwbyls

Diana D

Carol 

Max

tikidoc

 

Melangers

 

RobertM - tilting

DC Hayden - tilting

SuePEI - tilting

tikidoc  - tilting 

 

 

 

 

 

 

@patrisdipping bowl

 

Kerry Beal

curls

tikidoc

 

 

 

 

edited to see older posts where i'm on the dinner list! ha! this is what happens when you binge read to catch up

Edited by chocoera
didn't read far enough ahead (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/14/2018 at 4:05 PM, socolachocs said:

Anyone flying into Toronto on Thursday the 17th  that might be able to offer a ride to Anna? Will pitch in for gas or provide lots of chocolates from our shop in SF.  Just need one seat.  Thank you!!!

 

again, late to the party, but flying in thursday  and renting a car

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2018 at 11:31 AM, Chocolot said:

 

Hi Anna, It will be good to see you again. I'm still thinking about what to make:).

i'd be down for another pate de fruit demo and play time, or layering pate or mallow or ganache in frames....i can bring frames if we need them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/4/2018 at 9:22 PM, ChocolateMom said:

Hi,  @patris,

I’m just getting caught up now and realize I’m very late to put in my bowl glaze preference request. I like #13 or #2 (in order of preference)- if still possible to choose.

And how and when would you like payment for these?

Thanks!!

 

Thanks - I won’t get to the glaze firing stage for at least another week or two, so you’re all good.

 

I’m happy to take payment when I bring the bowls to Tomric on the Thursday of the conference weekend. Cash is preferable, but checks are ok if necessary. I also have Apple Pay (the thing where you can text people money - I just recently learned about it and it kind of blows my mind) and the Cash app if those work for anyone.

 

Patty

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, chocoera said:

totally late to the party....but when using these, are you keeping your chocolate in temper just by a thermometer and heat gun?

 

 

They hold a relatively small quantity of chocolate (650 - 700 grams max) - I have used mine probably a dozen times and have never needed to warm up the chocolate. Melting in the microwave helps, as the bowl warms up and holds the heat fairly well for the time it takes to go through that smallish amount. Heat gun or short bursts of microwaving (the “wire” is a silicone rubber band, so microwave safe, and easily removable anyway) would do just fine to keep the chocolate in temper if needed.

Patty

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kerry, I would LOVE to go to this next year. Just seeing the conference now, so it's too late to make it work for our schedule. (Oldest is graduating high school shortly after the event... she's gonna be a basket case for the month of May. 9_9)  Is there a way to get on a mailing list of this, for next year? I have friends close to where you hold the conference and it would be an amazing chance to meet some of you in person, learn a bunch of things, and catch up with said friends! 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sweet Impact Mama said:

Kerry, I would LOVE to go to this next year. Just seeing the conference now, so it's too late to make it work for our schedule. (Oldest is graduating high school shortly after the event... she's gonna be a basket case for the month of May. 9_9)  Is there a way to get on a mailing list of this, for next year? I have friends close to where you hold the conference and it would be an amazing chance to meet some of you in person, learn a bunch of things, and catch up with said friends! 

 

 

 

 

The planning thread goes up here on eG every year - but there is a Facebook group as well. PM me your e-mail address and I'll add you to that.

 

But you should know that we move it around year to year - so next year we are hoping to be in St Louis (hint, hint...)

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, patris said:

 

Thanks - I won’t get to the glaze firing stage for at least another week or two, so you’re all good.

 

I’m happy to take payment when I bring the bowls to Tomric on the Thursday of the conference weekend. Cash is preferable, but checks are ok if necessary. I also have Apple Pay (the thing where you can text people money - I just recently learned about it and it kind of blows my mind) and the Cash app if those work for anyone.

 

 Thanks @patris I won’t be arriving until the Friday and i won’t be there for Tomric. I’m hoping Kerry or someone can pick it up for me, but maybe I could do an etransfer in advance somehow?  Just so I’m not posting it online, Kerry has my contact phone and email and if you’re in touch with her she can pass along to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ChocolateMom said:

 Thanks @patris I won’t be arriving until the Friday and i won’t be there for Tomric. I’m hoping Kerry or someone can pick it up for me, but maybe I could do an etransfer in advance somehow?  Just so I’m not posting it online, Kerry has my contact phone and email and if you’re in touch with her she can pass along to you.

We will make sure that the necessary bowls make it across the border. Not sure E-transfers can be cross border. But the Apple pay I know nothing about so maybe that's an option. I'll pass on your contact info to @patris.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...