• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Workshop 2018 Niagara on the Lake

Kerry Beal

9 hours ago, RobertM said:

Is it to late to order one of my bowls in a #1 finish?

Not too late for your color choices! Let me know which glazes you’d like for all 5 - it will probably be a week or more before the final round is ready for glazing.

If you wanted either of the surface textures you’re likely out of luck this go around - those have to be done right after the trimming stage, so unless the ones I did yesterday are still damp enough when I get back to the studio Tuesday night I won’t be able to do anything more to them, texture-wise. I don’t think there is enough time at this point for me to throw any more and have them finished by the time the workshop rolls around.

Patty

16 hours ago, patris said:

Dipping bowl update!

One has made it all the way through the process and last week it came out of the glaze kiln  - @tikidoc, thank you for picking this glaze. I rarely use it in my own work but seeing it on your bowl has made me fall in love with it:

D5E53EA1-8D46-4205-800C-9E061DBC2C90.thumb.jpeg.0c6f7ab1a16718e4d8bcc3fbae7c5372.jpeg

The last three were trimmed today and are resting on my studio shelf waiting for their final clean-up before their first firing:

F2E83201-24EC-4A1A-B7A3-BB436649180A.thumb.jpeg.ddabec910bdf54fba5fb12e1058ceed2.jpeg

All the rest have been at least thrown, trimmed and dried. Some await their first firing, and some were ready to glaze today. Hopefully they will be glaze fired in the next week or so. The photo below shows all the stages of production - thrown and untrimmed (left front), trimmed and bone dry (left rear), and glazed and ready for their final firing (right). The glazed bowls here belong to @curls, @tikidoc, @Diana, @MelissaH, @Chocolate mom, and @Eat.Choui.  Hard to tell whose is whose as they look right now, as the color of most of our unfired glazes bears no resemblance to the color of the fired product. Anyway - just thought some might enjoy a peek into the process. Looking forward to delivering them!

4D6667D6-9220-44CA-89F6-6FED2277CE35.thumb.jpeg.4744cc7a01f879fc801815e13782f49f.jpeg

Any chance mine is in there?!?!? :D

Also - which color is that blue one?!?! Kinda sad I didn't request it. Lol!

Edited by Sweet Impact Mama (log)

16 hours ago, patris said:

D5E53EA1-8D46-4205-800C-9E061DBC2C90.thumb.jpeg.0c6f7ab1a16718e4d8bcc3fbae7c5372.jpeg

That's really nice... but I'm sticking with the forest green. And of course, there's no hurry at all. Getting it just means I'll have to force myself to start hand dipping things. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 minutes ago, patris said:

Happily, barring an Act of Kiln God, yours is among those in the pipeline. And that forest green glaze will always be my favorite!

I wasn't at all worried. Just admiring your work.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

12 hours ago, patris said:

Not too late for your color choices! Let me know which glazes you’d like for all 5 - it will probably be a week or more before the final round is ready for glazing.

If you wanted either of the surface textures you’re likely out of luck this go around - those have to be done right after the trimming stage, so unless the ones I did yesterday are still damp enough when I get back to the studio Tuesday night I won’t be able to do anything more to them, texture-wise. I don’t think there is enough time at this point for me to throw any more and have them finished by the time the workshop rolls around.

No textures needed, but thank you.  And I will let you choose the colors....the only one that I must specifically request is the previously mentioned color

THANK YOU

11 hours ago, RobertM said:

No textures needed, but thank you.  And I will let you choose the colors....the only one that I must specifically request is the previously mentioned color

THANK YOU

Got it - one in #1 (clear) and a 4-piece variety pack!

Patty

22 hours ago, patris said:

Happily, @Sweet Impact Mama and @Tri2Cook, your bowls are among those in the pipeline. Not too late to change your color choice, @Sweet Impact Mama. And @Tri2Cook - forest will always be my favorite glaze!

I'd love to change to the blue you used in that recent photo. It's gorgeous!

• Like 2

Always interesting to see how colors change depending on lighting. I went back to your glaze selections when you posted tikidoc's bowl and couldn't figure out which dark blue sample was hers. Looking forward to seeing my bowls -- just a few more weeks!

Edited by curls (log)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Beets3 said:

Are we going to Tomric on Thursday? If so, can I get a ride with someone?

I'm not sure how many are in my car - but I'm sure everyone can be accommodated 

• Like 2

Does anyone who is coming from the local area have a Keurig pod coffee maker (one that makes  different sizes of cups) that they could bring?  I have one, last time we were at Niagara College Peter brought his, but it doesn't appear he can this time.

9 hours ago, VistaGardens said:

Hey there Kerry, I need to hitch a ride to Tomric as well.  

And if anyone is headed up to Ottawa on Sunday night, I'd love to hitch a ride rather than take the bus and train...:D

I have been checking this morning, there are at least two other cars that will be in Niagara. We should be great to get everybody who needs a ride where they need to go. Can't promise Ottawa however.I have been checking this morning, there are at least two other cars that will be in Niagara. We should be great to get everybody who needs a ride where they need to go. Can't promise Ottawa however.

I'm going to try and put together some sort of itinerary for the workshop

1. Thursday May 17th - 10:30-11am or so until 2 - Tomric in Buffalo - Brian will do something in the way of a demo and there will be a purchasing opportunity. @patris will meet us there with the dipping bowls. 

2. Thursday evening - fend for ourselves for dinner.

3. Friday there will be breakfast out for the am class 9-12 - nut pastes master's class, lunch 12-1 provided, 1-4 bar class - haven't got total confirmation on the room yet - but there will be signs. 

4. Friday night - around 7 - meet in the Gardenview A room of the Hilton Garden in for Show and Tell - bring what ever you want to show off. It's BYOB - we are going to have to sneak it in - I haven't made it official with the hotel so we don't get charged a corkage fee - so be discrete and bring a glass!

5. Saturday am - meet at 9 am in the College lab H119 - there will be pastries for breakfast - then the talk by Lisabeth for a couple of hours, then we let you loose to play. Lunch will be set out - lovely breads by @Alleguede, cold cuts, cheese, salads - build your own sandwich. Clean up around 4:30 or so on Saturday - dinner in the cooking lab at the college around 7. 

6. Sunday - again start around 9 am and play until around 4. 

• Like 3

Well, no surprise here - it looks like we'll be signing a lease on our new restaurant in about two weeks. After two years of waiting, of course it happened right during the workshop...my gut had been telling me this would be the case. We're doing the final drawings for the finances all this week, so I'll know 100% within days if this is the case. 

Once again, have fun without me, and hopefully I'll see you in 2019...although I see most of you daily on Facebook and IG :) And again the reminder that if the group wants a midwest conference I would be happy to host, and have good friends at Bissingers, Rick Jordan and a few others smaller name chocolatiers in the city as well as the various cooking schools.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Well, no surprise here - it looks like we'll be signing a lease on our new restaurant in about two weeks. After two years of waiting, of course it happened right during the workshop...my gut had been telling me this would be the case. We're doing the final drawings for the finances all this week, so I'll know 100% within days if this is the case. 

Once again, have fun without me, and hopefully I'll see you in 2019...although I see most of you daily on Facebook and IG :) And again the reminder that if the group wants a midwest conference I would be happy to host, and have good friends at Bissingers, Rick Jordan and a few others smaller name chocolatiers in the city as well as the various cooking schools.

Oh don't you worry! We've already decided you are hosting next year. Perhaps we should check that with you first?

• Like 3