• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Workshop 2018 Niagara on the Lake

Kerry Beal

21 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

I was thinking that they'd be better with chocolate faces rather than royal icing, and with a chocolate coating rather than an adulterated glaze.

Should I plan to prebake any cookie bases? Or is there something commercial that would work equally well?

Either pre-bake or perhaps vanilla wafers? Look about the right size.

42 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Either pre-bake or perhaps vanilla wafers? Look about the right size.

What's suggested in the book (at least the original version; haven't checked the updated version) is to squeeze a large piping tip so the base becomes an oval, and use that as a cookie cutter to make the bases. It's been a while since I bought nilla wafers; have they been downsized?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

20 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

What's suggested in the book (at least the original version; haven't checked the updated version) is to squeeze a large piping tip so the base becomes an oval, and use that as a cookie cutter to make the bases. It's been a while since I bought nilla wafers; have they been downsized?

been a while for me too!

IMG_8896.JPG.45e9c970435b6bdb972dff5f2cfde764.JPG

My plans on Saturday were to work 12 hours, come home 8 at night, getting my packing for heading to PMCA done - then heading out first thing in the morning. Breakfast with @patris, then the drive down to Lancaster. Attend the lecture this morning, then the trade show this afternoon - and get all my questions answered and samples arranged for the workshop. Dinner with @lancastermikeand his delightful wife.

Here's what happened instead - Saturday was freezing rain - texted the doc who was to relieve me at 8 pm and asked if she wanted me to stay - which she was thrilled about! So the view above is what greeted me for my drive home yesterday morning. Since southern Ontario and upper NY state were pretty much the same my drive to Lancaster was not going to come off safely. So here I am at home - but it is giving me a chance to catch up on some paperwork for the workshop at least. 

But it does mean my hopes for some great samples is likely not going to happen. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

It is confirmed that Renee from Chocolat-Chocolat and her husband will be joining us this year. They will drive down from Montreal on Friday - with any luck be able to join us for the show and tell, spend Saturday with us and join us for dinner on Saturday. They will head back on Sunday morning. 

If you want molds from Chocolat-chocolat best bet would be to contact Renee directly and I'll bet she would bring them along. She will be sending me an order before the event so they could be included with that as well I expect.

• Like 4

Last day for hotel booking today - 

Also last day for hotel room booking - Tuesday April 17th - 

Phone number for Hilton Garden Inn - 905 984 4200

address 500 York Road, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario

The rates are accessed but identifying yourself as part of the EGullet Chocolate Conference - booking code is ECB18

It is a long weekend in Canada so the rates aren't as good as other years - the suggestion that we change our dates to get better rates was not entertained by me!

There are taxes on top of the quoted rates

Tuesday 15th, wed 16th, Thurs 17th - $119 

Friday, Sat and Sun 18-20 - $189

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

We have a change to the program - Cacao Barry is no longer able to let us have Andres for Saturday morning. They apparently have a big customer that has a weeks worth of training and he's their man so time will not allow him to attend. And here I was thinking we were special!

We struggled to figure out a good replacement and yesterday got someone who will be excellent to agree to be our Saturday am 'talent'. 

It is Lisabeth Flanaghan of Ultimately Chocolate - she runs a chocolate, pastry and soon to be bigger bean to bar business and blogs about everything chocolate related on The Ultimate Chocolate Blog. She is a talented piecaken maker as well! 

Our Saturday morning session will now be a 'bean to bar' discussion and tasting. Discussion will revolve around the differences between craft chocolate and couverture - different origins and their characteristics.

If this is a deal breaker for anyone who was coming only to see Andreas and you wish to drop out - please PM me. I will facilitate your space going to someone on the waiting list rather than leaving you to do that yourself. 

It's a shame that we lost Andres but I'm sure Lisabeth's talk will also be very good. Kerry, thank you for the update. I'm counting down the days till the workshop; looking forward to it!!! :-)

• Like 1

Just now, YetiChocolates said:

That someone would only want to come for the presenter...

Ah - got it. Might be a deal breaker for some I suppose (or give them an excuse to drop out). I've had a couple of requests now for folks who are more excited by Lisabeth's presentation and want to join us!

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Anyone want to take home cocoa butter? I've found a source of some that I like that would be $20/kg.

Good price!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Can send you some up with the grinder.

Might have to take you up on that. Just don't tell Renee... that's where I usually get it. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Anyone want to take home cocoa butter? I've found a source of some that I like that would be $20/kg.

Thanks for the offer but I've got plenty in inventory.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I recently found some for $18.78 a kilo, so I bought 10 kilos of it...hopefully it’s as good of quality as Cacao Barry, especially since I’m using cocoa butter in my peanut butter and almond butter cups now.  I’ll report back once I get it. 

• Like 1

Dipping bowl update!

One has made it all the way through the process and last week it came out of the glaze kiln  - @tikidoc, thank you for picking this glaze. I rarely use it in my own work but seeing it on your bowl has made me fall in love with it:

D5E53EA1-8D46-4205-800C-9E061DBC2C90.thumb.jpeg.0c6f7ab1a16718e4d8bcc3fbae7c5372.jpeg

The last three were trimmed today and are resting on my studio shelf waiting for their final clean-up before their first firing:

F2E83201-24EC-4A1A-B7A3-BB436649180A.thumb.jpeg.ddabec910bdf54fba5fb12e1058ceed2.jpeg

All the rest have been at least thrown, trimmed and dried. Some await their first firing, and some were ready to glaze today. Hopefully they will be glaze fired in the next week or so. The photo below shows all the stages of production - thrown and untrimmed (left front), trimmed and bone dry (left rear), and glazed and ready for their final firing (right). The glazed bowls here belong to @curls, @tikidoc, @Diana, @MelissaH, @Chocolate mom, and @Eat.Choui.  Hard to tell whose is whose as they look right now, as the color of most of our unfired glazes bears no resemblance to the color of the fired product. Anyway - just thought some might enjoy a peek into the process. Looking forward to delivering them!

4D6667D6-9220-44CA-89F6-6FED2277CE35.thumb.jpeg.4744cc7a01f879fc801815e13782f49f.jpeg

Edited by patris (log)
  • Like 13

Patty