• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Workshop 2018 Niagara on the Lake

Kerry Beal

54 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Can someone PM me the Turkish delight recipe from Greweling's At Home book? I know the book is here somewhere... 

I thought I was going to be helpful and then it finally dawned on me that you said "At Home" as I was flipping through the Greweling book I have... which is not the "At Home" version. :$

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

7 minutes ago, dhardy123 said:

just texted you

Thanks Dave. 

Got two copies now so I'm good to go. I'm surprised it doesn't have a final temperature to cook it to. 

On 3/18/2018 at 12:32 PM, patris said:

I must say I am overwhelmed and delighted with the response to the bowls! I finally had an opportunity to put together some more information and options. Because I am making these in a private studio with limited hours available each week, I would be grateful to have all orders in by next Sunday, March 25, so that I can plan the workflow and have them ready for the workshop weekend. If there is any interest beyond that, we can always arrange shipping.

First, here is the final design:

AFF534DF-1637-4D93-96B5-E9DACE90FD2C.thumb.jpeg.7258344eb2174ff3ee8f56295a93b5e5.jpegt06E0040D-4BFA-4072-9F92-2E52BA7BAA7D.thumb.jpeg.5c642d87e00d52251d745f357ba82205.jpeg

Each bowl will come with 3 two-inch silicone bands to serve as the scraping surface (I’m including the extras in case the first one breaks or eventually stretches out. Further replacements can be got via Amazon). There will be slight variations in size and shape, as happens with handmade items; however, they will all hold in the neighborhood of 500 to 600 grams of chocolate quite comfortably.

You can choose your glaze from the photo below - just PM me with the number. Some glazes are not appropriate for this type of piece, so they do not have numbers. All are microwave and dishwasher safe.

9C831960-F109-4E15-89A4-FDDC758C0B8A.thumb.png.ad35095aeb9c36bc3450a6fd8b84fc83.png

The bowl at the top of this post is #7, FYI. I should also mention that there will be variations in the color and intensity of the glazed bowls, due to the vagaries of glaze mixing and the fickle nature of the kiln gods.

I also wanted to offer the option to add a surface texture - if you choose one, it would be an extra $10. These textures also work better with some glazes than others, as noted on the photo. If interested, let me know which texture when you let me know which glaze.

8F3FE811-18A2-4C32-B412-58E04224CB77.thumb.png.29444a33d6a08438835ee0ffa010d79f.png

Thank you!

Oh my goodness how to pick a colour, they are all so beautiful? If you could put me down for a Celadon froth (love that descriptor) that would be grand. Many thank, Diana D.

• Like 1

Workshop Participants

RobertM - P

curls - P

gfron1 (tentative)

pastryani

tikidoc (+1) - P

ChocolateMom - P

Audrey Brown

Chocolot - P

MelissaH - P

Casey - P

Beets3

YetiChocolates!!!!!- P

VistaGardens - P

Diana D - P

Gwbyls - P

Chocoera + 1 staff 

Beth Wilson 

lambrecht gourmet - P

Sue PEI - P and Jane - P

Kata

Anna Chi - P

WayUpNorth  - P

Matthew Hayday - P

DC Hayden - P

lebowits - P

chefmd

ChefRamjee - P

Valerie B - P

Saturday Night Dinner

curls - P

RobertM - P

Chocolot - P

Matthew Hayday - P

YetiChocolates - P

pastryani (lacto ovo vegetarian)

Beets3

Beth Wilson (allergic to mushrooms) - did I mention the wonderful mushroom soup that Dave makes?

DC Hayden - P

VistaGardens - P

Gwbyls - P

Diana D - 

tikidoc +1 - P

Melissa and Casey - P

Audrey Brown (lots of red wine)

lebowits - P

Chocolatemom +1 - P

chefmd

Anna Chi - P

Valerie B - P

lambrecht gourmet and Nancy - P

Way Up North - P

Master's Class - Nut Pastes, Giandujas, Praline

curls - P 

RobertM - P

Chocolot - P

Beets3

pastyani

Beth Wilson

DC Hayden - P

VistaGardens - P

SuePEI - P and Jane - P

Diana D - P

Audrey Brown

tikidoc - P

lebowits - P

Anna Chi- P

Way Up North - P

ChefRamjee - P

Valerie B - P

Master's Class - Bars 

curls - P

RobertM - P

Chocolot - P

YetiChocolates - P

pastryani

lambrecht gourmet - P

Beth Wilson

Chocoera

DC Hayden - P

VistaGardens - P

SuePEI - P and Jane - P

Gwbyls - P

Diana D - P

tikidoc - P

lebowits - P

Anna Chi - P

Way Up North - P

ChefRamjee - P

Valerie B - P

Melangers

RobertM - tilting

DC Hayden - tilting

SuePEI - tilting

tikidoc  - tilting 

VistaGardens - tilting

@patrisdipping bowl

Kerry Beal

curls

tikidoc

Diana D

Sue PEI

MelissaH

ChocolateMom

RobertM x 5 (I think)

Anna Chi

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Kerry, 

Just sent money for workshop, bar master class and dinner.  I sent a note with the money, but posting here as well.  I'm not going to do the Master Class on nut pastes.  Also, I don't see my name down for dinner Saturday night.  Please put me down and Nancy as well. 

Thanks. 

David Smith

4 minutes ago, lambrecht gourmet said:

Kerry, 

Just sent money for workshop, bar master class and dinner.  I sent a note with the money, but posting here as well.  I'm not going to do the Master Class on nut pastes.  Also, I don't see my name down for dinner Saturday night.  Please put me down and Nancy as well. 

Thanks. 

Will do.

Hi there.  After the workshop is over, I am headed up to Ottawa.  By any chance is anyone in the group headed in that direction that I might bum a ride from?  Sunday night or Monday morning?  Thanks much and looking forward to meeting all of you!

On 3/8/2018 at 6:57 PM, Alleguede said:

So just to make things interesting here is the recipe list for the nut class.

We will limit the class to MAXIMUM 16 - there will be 7 machines hopefully to play with.

Le Praline 50% Hazelnut

Hazelnut Paste

Gianduja

- Milk Lactee Superieur peanut butter

- White chocolate Zephyr and Pistachio
- Hazelnut dark chocolate 54%

Approach to Bean to Bar

Vegan Almond Hazelnut spread

It will be as hands on as possible and also tv style. But this class is the result of 2 years of work between the Ez temper crew and Premier Melangers

Stay tune for the second class description

So @Alleguede what are you planning for the second master class...?

14 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

He still got that under construction

Ok, will stay tuned! Looking forward to it.

Think he might bring some bread and pastries with him? Loved the meals he made for us when the workshop was in Toronto. :)

5 minutes ago, curls said:

Ok, will stay tuned! Looking forward to it.

Think he might bring some bread and pastries with him? Loved the meals he made for us when the workshop was in Toronto. :)

He will bring pastry and bread for sure. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

He will bring pastry and bread for sure. 

And if there's a spare baguette or two around on Sunday morning, I'd be happy to purchase them and bring them home!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

3 hours ago, MelissaH said:

And if there's a spare baguette or two around on Sunday morning, I'd be happy to purchase them and bring them home!

I will let Rodney know. He does parbaked baguette and sells them frozen I believe.

PM me numbers wanted - he say $2.50 per baguette and $3.50 per Kouign Aman.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, RobertM said:

Do my eyes deceive me?  Frozen kouign aman to bring home and finish baking????

They may not be parbaked - just take them home, freeze and give a few minutes in the CSO or whatever you have

IMG_8770.JPG.56269c73baecdf03574c0833eef71fa5.JPGIMG_8769.JPG.58f385c0be2f7e20d37c8f1c5134ad2c.JPG

First experimental batch of Turkish Delight. This one uses the thin boiling starch. Flavored with a bit of vanilla and 1 drop of rose otto. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_8770.JPG.56269c73baecdf03574c0833eef71fa5.JPGIMG_8769.JPG.58f385c0be2f7e20d37c8f1c5134ad2c.JPG

First experimental batch of Turkish Delight. This one uses the thin boiling starch. Flavored with a bit of vanilla and 1 drop of rose otto. 

Where do you get thin boiling starch?  Thanks.

The funny thing is, I don't even know if I care about thin boiling starch. I've never thought about making Turkish Delight, I've never even eaten it as far as I can remember. But the fact that it seems so hard to get the starch aroused my curiosity and I had to go on a search. And of course, I had no more luck than anybody else with finding anything. I guess the good thing for me is, I didn't really care too much whether I found it or not for myself. I was just hoping I might sniff something out that would help others. The bad thing is, now that I'm curious, if a source does turn up, I'll probably end up grabbing some... and have one more container of magic industrial powder sitting on a shelf with all the others I had to have and no longer use. :hmmm:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 3/30/2018 at 10:01 AM, Kerry Beal said:

I will let Rodney know. He does parbaked baguette and sells them frozen I believe.

PM me numbers wanted - he say $2.50 per baguette and $3.50 per Kouign Aman.

Please put us down for two baguettes. Thank you, Rodney!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

19 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

This is very cool Kerry! I’m excited to hear about how it turns out!