• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Workshop 2018 Niagara on the Lake

Kerry Beal

7 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

I’m pretty sure it’s not a possibility for me this year, but I thought I’d ask if there is still space in the classes or if they’re full. Thanks!

They are pretty full at this point - but of course until everyone pays you don't actually know who will show - and April 6 I'm cutting off registration so those who haven't paid are going to have to wait for a cancellation. So we can add you to the list if you would like.

HELLO!!!

I’m Anna from Socola Chocolatiers and I am really excited to be attending this year and seeing all of you again and meeting new faces.  

What is everyone planning to work on during the workshop time?  Is there a chance I can learn panning?  I saw pictures of the Kitchen Aid attachment in action on another thread and it got my brain thinking  .  This would give my arm a rest!

I would like to get a dipping bowl too :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eat.Choui said:

HELLO!!!

I’m Anna from Socola Chocolatiers and I am really excited to be attending this year and seeing all of you again and meeting new faces.  

What is everyone planning to work on during the workshop time?  Is there a chance I can learn panning?  I saw pictures of the Kitchen Aid attachment in action on another thread and it got my brain thinking  .  This would give my arm a rest!

Hi Anna, It will be good to see you again. I'm still thinking about what to make:).

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

On 3/16/2018 at 6:50 AM, Kerry Beal said:

They are pretty full at this point - but of course until everyone pays you don't actually know who will show - and April 6 I'm cutting off registration so those who haven't paid are going to have to wait for a cancellation. So we can add you to the list if you would like.

I don’t think it’s going to work out for me this year, darn it. I guess I’ll start saving and planning for 2019. Is it at about the same time of year each time or does that vary. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

I don’t think it’s going to work out for me this year, darn it. I guess I’ll start saving and planning for 2019. Is it at about the same time of year each time or does that vary. Thanks!

Usually approximately same time of year. Locations varies considerably!

Workshop Participants

RobertM - P

curls - P

gfron1 (tentative)

pastryani

tikidoc (+1) - P

ChocolateMom - P

Audrey Brown

TandemChocoPC

Chocolot - P

MelissaH - P

Beets3

YetiChocolates!!!!!- P

VistaGardens - P

Diana D - P

Gwbyls - P

Chocoera + 1 staff 

Beth Wilson 

lambrecht gourmet

Sue PEI and Jane

Kata

Anna Chi

WayUpNorth

Carol Lang 

Matthew Hayday - P

DC Hayden - P

lebowits - P

chefmd

Socola Anna - P

ChefRamjee - P

Valerie B

Saturday Night Dinner

curls - P

RobertM - P

Chocolot - P

Matthew Hayday - P

YetiChocolates - P

pastryani (lacto ovo vegetarian)

Beets3

Beth Wilson (allergic to mushrooms) - did I mention the wonderful mushroom soup that Dave makes?

DC Hayden - P

VistaGardens - P

Gwbyls - P

Diana D - 

tikidoc +1 - P

carol Lang

Melissa and Casey - P

Audrey Brown (lots of red wine)

lebowits

Chocolatemom +1 - P

chefmd

Socola Anna - P

Valerie B

Master's Class - Nut Pastes, Giandujas, Praline

curls - P 

RobertM - P

Chocolot - P

Beets3

pastyani

lambrecht gourmet

Beth Wilson

DC Hayden - P

VistaGardens - P

SuePEI and Jane

Diana D - P

Audrey Brown

tikidoc - P

lebowits - P

Socola Anna - P

Way Up North

ChefRamjee - P

Master's Class - Bars 

curls - P

RobertM - P

Chocolot - P

YetiChocolates - P

pastryani

lambrecht gourmet

Beth Wilson

Chocoera

DC Hayden - P

VistaGardens - P

SuePEI and Jane

Gwbyls - P

Diana D - P

Carol 

tikidoc - P

lebowits - P

Socola Anna - P

Way Up North

ChefRamjee - P

Valerie B

Melangers

RobertM - tilting

DC Hayden - tilting

SuePEI - tilting

tikidoc  - tilting 

VistaGardens - tilting

@patrisdipping bowl

Kerry Beal

curls

tikidoc

Diana D

Sue PEI

MelissaH

ChocolateMom

RobertM x 5 (I think)

Anna from Socola

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I must say I am overwhelmed and delighted with the response to the bowls! I finally had an opportunity to put together some more information and options. Because I am making these in a private studio with limited hours available each week, I would be grateful to have all orders in by next Sunday, March 25, so that I can plan the workflow and have them ready for the workshop weekend. If there is any interest beyond that, we can always arrange shipping.

First, here is the final design:

AFF534DF-1637-4D93-96B5-E9DACE90FD2C.thumb.jpeg.7258344eb2174ff3ee8f56295a93b5e5.jpegt06E0040D-4BFA-4072-9F92-2E52BA7BAA7D.thumb.jpeg.5c642d87e00d52251d745f357ba82205.jpeg

Each bowl will come with 3 two-inch silicone bands to serve as the scraping surface (I’m including the extras in case the first one breaks or eventually stretches out. Further replacements can be got via Amazon). There will be slight variations in size and shape, as happens with handmade items; however, they will all hold in the neighborhood of 500 to 600 grams of chocolate quite comfortably.

You can choose your glaze from the photo below - just PM me with the number. Some glazes are not appropriate for this type of piece, so they do not have numbers. All are microwave and dishwasher safe.

9C831960-F109-4E15-89A4-FDDC758C0B8A.thumb.png.ad35095aeb9c36bc3450a6fd8b84fc83.png

The bowl at the top of this post is #7, FYI. I should also mention that there will be variations in the color and intensity of the glazed bowls, due to the vagaries of glaze mixing and the fickle nature of the kiln gods.

I also wanted to offer the option to add a surface texture - if you choose one, it would be an extra $10. These textures also work better with some glazes than others, as noted on the photo. If interested, let me know which texture when you let me know which glaze.

8F3FE811-18A2-4C32-B412-58E04224CB77.thumb.png.29444a33d6a08438835ee0ffa010d79f.png

Thank you!

• Like 5

Patty

It's going to be 8 for me I think. I love the idea of a textured outside for grip. It doesn't even have to be as complex as the two above. I'll send you a PM with the surface of one of your bowls I have at home to see if it is an easy or complex option as I know very little about the process.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2018 at 12:13 PM, Eat.Choui said:

HELLO!!!

Hi Anna! Glad you are going to be able to attend this year. I haven't had a chance to figure out what I would like to work on during workshop time but I'll come up with a few things before I get to the workshop. Will probably practice one or two of the things I learn at the master class. 

Aside from panning, what would you like to work on? @Kerry Beal Anna (Eat.Choui) mentioned an interest in learning to pan -- does the NOTL college have the appropriate setup for panning?

41 minutes ago, curls said:

Hi Anna! Glad you are going to be able to attend this year. I haven't had a chance to figure out what I would like to work on during workshop time but I'll come up with a few things before I get to the workshop. Will probably practice one or two of the things I learn at the master class. 

Aside from panning, what would you like to work on? @Kerry Beal Anna (Eat.Choui) mentioned an interest in learning to pan -- does the NOTL college have the appropriate setup for panning?

Not completely - they have mixers (think they still have some kitchen aids or maybe a hobart or two). A pan could be brought - cooling will be required. Just thinking of (and dreading) all the stuff that will require lugging in both directions. 

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Not completely - they have mixers (think they still have some kitchen aids or maybe a hobart or two). A pan could be brought - cooling will be required. Just thinking of (and dreading) all the stuff that will require lugging in both directions. 

Kerry, I was just re-asking the question for Anna but I would encourage you to NOT lug a bunch of equipment to the college for panning. There will be plenty of other things for people to work on and learn about. Hoping you aren’t going to have to bring any equipment at all this year — except for an EZtemper and a Fuji.

We have to bring an enrober to attach to their Selmi - they don't have one! That's the piece I'm dreading most cause it's Toronto to NOTL and back.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

We have to bring an enrober to attach to their Selmi - they don't have one! That's the piece I'm dreading most cause it's Toronto to NOTL and back.

A Selmi and no enrober!  Still, no need for you to bring it -- we have hand dipped and fork dipped before and we can do it again. But... if a lot of people are going to be making bars... an enrober is a nice thing to have.  Hmmm, maybe that is why I hardly ever make bars (I don't have a Selmi or an enrober).  

Kerry, thank you so much for all you do! I am looking forward to this year's workshop.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 9:33 AM, MelissaH said:

I like 4. But if you want to wait and do mine later, that's fine.

Got it.

I shouldn't have any trouble accommodating the orders I've received so far for delivery at the workshop, and can probably handle several more.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Patty

On 3/19/2018 at 7:37 PM, curls said:

I would love to gain some experience with the melanger.  I am very excited about that!  I also would like help with Turkish delight. I’m sure I’ll think of more things or join in on what folks are working on.

14 hours ago, Eat.Choui said:

I would love to gain some experience with the melanger.  I am very excited about that!  I also would like help with Turkish delight. I’m sure I’ll think of more things or join in on what folks are working on.

Anna - what recipe have you been using for turkish delight so far? Wondering if we could do a comparison of recipes with thin boiling starch vs regular cornstarch.

15 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Anna - what recipe have you been using for turkish delight so far? Wondering if we could do a comparison of recipes with thin boiling starch vs regular cornstarch.

Hi Kerry,

I used a recipe from Sweet Confections by Nina Wanot, which uses regular cornstarch. I cannot tell when I was done stirring.  So far, they have been undercooked, I think.  They were really soft and did not hold shape.  I would like to try the recipe with thin boiling starch, but it is hard to source.

6 hours ago, Eat.Choui said:

I used a recipe from Sweet Confections by Nina Wanot, which uses regular cornstarch. I cannot tell when I was done stirring.  So far, they have been undercooked, I think.  They were really soft and did not hold shape.  I would like to try the recipe with thin boiling starch, but it is hard to source.

Let me see if I can get my hands on some thin boiling starch when I'm at the PMCA in April. I know I have some in the house somewhere but it's sometimes a challenge to get my hands on things.

Can you PM me the recipe you have by Nina Wanot?

I wonder if Modernist Pantry would consider bringing it in. Buying the large bulk packaging of commercial ingredients and repackaging it in smaller quantities is what they do. Even if they wanted a certain amount of pre-orders to consider it worth doing, if it's something difficult to get otherwise, there's no harm in that.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Just now, Tri2Cook said:

I wonder if Modernist Pantry would consider bringing it in. Buying the large bulk packaging of commercial ingredients and repackaging it in smaller quantities is what they do. Even if they wanted a certain amount of pre-orders to consider it worth doing, if it's something difficult to get otherwise, there's no harm in that.

Interesting idea.