• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Workshop 2018 Niagara on the Lake

Kerry Beal

Kerry,

Please add Jane to the list for both Master classes on Friday, if there is still room. Thanks! 

I've not found any info re: prepayment - when and how would you like this?

And, I'm interested in the tilting melanger. 

8 minutes ago, Sue PEI said:

Kerry,

Please add Jane to the list for both Master classes on Friday, if there is still room. Thanks! 

I've not found any info re: prepayment - when and how would you like this?

And, I'm interested in the tilting melanger. 

I'm going to figure out the payment method shortly - it will be prepayment but need to figure out how to accomplish it.

Put me down for both classes please. And dinner.

Maybe the grinder thing. I need to do a bit more reading on them but I do make quite a few chocolates using nut butters so probably.

Edited by tikidoc (log)

1 hour ago, tikidoc said:

Put me down for both classes please. And dinner.

Maybe the grinder thing. I need to do a bit more reading on them but I do make quite a few chocolates using nut butters so probably.

Just you?

Saturday Night Dinner

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

Matthew Hayday

YetiChocolates

pastryani (lacto ovo vegetarian)

Beets3

Beth Wilson (allergic to mushrooms) - did I mention the wonderful mushroom soup that Dave makes?

DC Hayden

VistaGardens

TinaB

Gwbyls

Diana D

tikidoc +1

carol and max 

Melissa and Casey

Edited 11 hours ago by Kerry Beal (log)

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Melangers

RobertM - non tilting

DC Hayden - tilting

SuePEI - tilting

tikidoc  - tilting 

Master's Class - Nut Pastes, Giandujas, Praline

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

Beets3

pastyani

lambrecht gourmet

Beth Wilson

DC Hayden

VistaGardens

TinaB

SuePEI and Jane

Diana D

tikidoc

Master's Class - Bars 

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

YetiChocolates

pastryani

lambrecht gourmet

Beth Wilson

Chocoera

DC Hayden

VistaGardens

SuePEI and Jane

Gwbyls

Diana D

tikidoc

carol and max

41 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Just you?

At this point, yes, as far as master classes. My friend is not able to make it. As far as my daughter, we are waiting to hear about her school schedule. If she is done with her standardized testing by then, she can come but the schedule for that is not yet published. She would be going to the workshop and dinner. She would not do the master classes but would there be an objection to her sitting around nearby and reading or doing stuff on her computer while I participate? I would not want to leave her alone at the hotel. If she has her computer, she would happily sit and play games (headphones) and be quiet.

5 hours ago, curls said:

@JoNorvelleWalker thanks for the melanger endorsement. Another way for you to think of it -- the only way to get this discount is to also pay for the chocolate workshop -- unless you planned to go to that too, your melanger is cheaper.  ;-)  Do you use the tilting feature a lot? What advantage is there to tilting vs. non-tilting? What is the smallest quantity of nuts that you have successfully ground?

One pound.  If had it to do over I'd get the smaller one.  Granite and steel are heavy.  Tilting does help to get the stuff out however.  I'm kind of sad I missed the promotion of a free bag of nibs with purchase.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, carol lang said:

Carol and Max would like to be on the list for Saturday night Dinner

Must've forgot to save - was having technical challenges yesterday!

Sent you a PM but Maddie (12 yo) and I are in for workshop and dinner. Me only for both master classes, and Maddie will function as our runner as needed during master classes (and will play computer games on her laptop with headphones when not being told to go get things). She likes being designated helper, so is quite happy with the arrangement. I think having her at the workshop will be great for her. Up to now it’s been me teaching her basics, but she is much more receptive to learning when the teacher is someone other than her mom, and she does want to learn to make chocolates, and she’s pretty creative. We have the same issue when riding our horses together - she is happy to listen when her trainer tells her to do something, but not so much when I tell her the Exact. Same. Thing. So you have one confirmed student for the yearly tempering basics lesson.

Edited by tikidoc (log)
  • Like 4

Re melanger. It appears the difference between the three machines, as far as capacity and weight, is not huge.

Regular non-tilting - 8 lb capacity, weighs 25 lb

Tilting - 10 lb capacity, weighs 29.7 lb. Costs a little more.

Lo-pro (non-tilting, lower profile to fit under cabinet) - 10 lb capacity, weighs 28 lb. Same price as tilting.

Neither state minimum batch size, but I would not imagine they would be much different, since capacities are not that different.  As long as the tilting mechanism is reliably stable (it looks a little precarious to me, and you are supposed to let the thing run for up to 24 hours when making chocolate), I don’t see a drawback to the tilting, as it’s less than 5 lb heavier. Am I missing something here?

Sent you a PM but Maddie (12 yo) and I are in for workshop and dinner. Me only for both master classes, and Maddie will function as our runner as needed during master classes (and will play computer games on her laptop with headphones when not being told to go get things). She likes being designated helper, so is quite happy with the arrangement. I think having her at the workshop will be great for her. Up to now it’s been me teaching her basics, but she is much more receptive to learning when the teacher is someone other than her mom, and she does want to learn to make chocolates, and she’s pretty creative. We have the same issue when riding our horses together - she is happy to listen when her trainer tells her to do something, but not so much when I tell her the Exact. Same. Thing. So you have one confirmed student for the yearly tempering basics lesson.

Ah yes - the tween and her mom - I shall teach her what I can!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tikidoc said:

Re melanger. It appears the difference between the three machines, as far as capacity and weight, is not huge.

Lo-pro (non-tilting, lower profile to fit under cabinet) - 10 lb capacity, weighs 28 lb. Same price as tilting.

Neither state minimum batch size, but I would not imagine they would be much different, since capacities are not that different.  As long as the tilting mechanism is reliably stable (it looks a little precarious to me, and you are supposed to let the thing run for up to 24 hours when making chocolate), I don’t see a drawback to the tilting, as it’s less than 5 lb heavier. Am I missing something here?

I personally lean towards the tilting - I've seen them in action - it's not precarious. 

Ok, then put me down for tilting. 

Said tween has been boarding at a barn with almost no kids since about age 8, so has a better idea of how to behave around a bunch of adults than most kids her age. I think very few sports teach responsibility better than riding, because she knows her pony must always be taken care of before herself.

Edited by tikidoc (log)

7 hours ago, tikidoc said:

Stability does not seem to be a problem with the tilting version that I have.  The low profile version has been discontinued.  I did not ask why.

28 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Stability does not seem to be a problem with the tilting version that I have.  The low profile version has been discontinued.  I did not ask why.

Thanks. And interestingly, the website still has the low profile version and allowed me to put it in my cart.

Thanks. And interestingly, the website still has the low profile version and allowed me to put it in my cart.

Indeed interesting.  When I called I was told it was being discontinued.  Sorry if I gave wrong information.

28 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Indeed interesting.  When I called I was told it was being discontinued.  Sorry if I gave wrong information.

No idea which info is wrong. Appears I am getting the tilt version anyways...

Over here on the Home Made Knives and other Home Made Kitchen tools - our own @patris has been making lovely ceramic dipping bowls. When I was down for the Christmas production party we were using one of her ceramic bowls as a dipping bowl because it was just the right shape and depth and we got to talking about how perfect it would be with a built in @Chris Hennes dipping wire. She ran with the idea and went a step further - adding an extra amount of clay on the bottom for heat retention.  

I've talked her into making some for any of us who might want to take when home when they come for the workshop. She says she'll meet us at Tomric on Thursday. Anyone who wants one and isn't going to be at Tomric - just say the word and we'll bring one back for you. $30 US will get you one of these beauties. I've got my order in already!

Let's start another list here - 

@patris dipping bowl

Kerry Beal