• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Workshop 2018 Niagara on the Lake

Kerry Beal

Saturday Night Dinner

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

Master's Class - Nut Pastes, Giandujas, Praline

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

Master's Class - Bars 

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I just realized that I hadn't RSVP'd here yet. I'm planning on coming, and will be in for the dinner (but not the master classes, although I'll happily sample the outcomes on the Friday night if anyone is sharing!). I think it's just me this year, as I doubt that @mkayahara will be able to get that weekend off (we'll just be back from a vacation).

RobertM

gfron1 (tentative)

pastryani

tikidoc (perhaps +2)

ChocolateMom

Audrey Brown

TandemChocoPC

Chocolot

MelissaH 

Beets3

YetiChocolates!!!!!

VistaGardens

Diana D

Gwbyls 

Chocoera + 1 staff 

Beth Wilson 

lambrecht gourmet

Sue PEI and Jane

Kata

Anna Chi

WayUpNorth

Carol Lang and Max

Matthew Hayday

DC Hayden

TinaB

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

Master's Class - Bars 

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

YetiChocolates

Alright...I give in.  Sign me up for the afternoon bars master class.  Might have to work an extra two weeks contracting with the Forest Service to pay for it, but it'll be worth it.  And of course I'm in for the dinner.  And I looked at those Diamond machines, on their website seems like they are primarily used for bean to bar melanging, but I'm assuming you could also use them for nut paste grinding (which is what I would be interested in using them for...).  Do you have one Kerry?

1 minute ago, YetiChocolates said:

Alright...I give in.  Sign me up for the afternoon bars master class.  Might have to work an extra two weeks contracting with the Forest Service to pay for it, but it'll be worth it.  And of course I'm in for the dinner.  And I looked at those Diamond machines, on their website seems like they are primarily used for bean to bar melanging, but I'm assuming you could also use them for nut paste grinding (which is what I would be interested in using them for...).  Do you have one Kerry?

I do not (yet) - but I've used them when we have had one on our table at the NW chocolate festival making nut paste. @Alleguede has a couple of them now - he is working on recipes for Diamonds website for the nut uses. 

• Like 1

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

Beets3

pastyani

Master's Class - Bars 

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

YetiChocolates

pastryani

Saturday Night Dinner

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

Matthew Hayday

YetiChocolates

pastryani (lacto ovo vegetarian)

Beets3

Beth Wilson (allergic to mushrooms) - did I mention the wonderful mushroom soup that Dave makes?

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

Beets3

pastyani

lambrecht gourmet

Beth Wilson

Master's Class - Bars 

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

YetiChocolates

pastryani

lambrecht gourmet

Beth Wilson

Chocoera

RE the melangers - there are two units that can be had - the tilting - which has a capacity of around 10 pounds and the non tilting which has capacity of 8 lbs. Price will be $235 for the smaller and $270 for the larger tilting (that's US dollars). We will use the units for the class then you can take home the one you have bought. 

If you can give me an idea of who might want one I'll make sure he brings enough along. He also sells Domori cacao nibs - really nice for making your own nib to bar chocolate. 

• Like 1

status report:

-no to Tomric since not arriving until Friday

-no to master classes

-Is there going to be the usual sharing of chocolates and drinks on Friday night to get to know everyone? In the hotel or elsewhere? I would go to that because every time I get to one of these, it has been a while since the last one and I need to remember names and faces and learn new ones...

-Yes to all day Saturday

-A “Maybe” for spouse and I for dinner on Saturday. Depends where you decide to go. Tend to be a meat eater,  would even try beaver.

-Sunday we will be heading home. 

Thanks for all the organization Kerry!

Edited by ChocolateMom (log)

2 minutes ago, ChocolateMom said:

status report:

-no to Tomric since not arriving until Friday

-no to master classes

-Is there going to be the usual sharing of chocolates and drinks on Friday night to get to know everyone? In the hotel or elsewhere? I would go to that because every time I get to one of these, it has been a while since the last one and I need to remember names and faces and learn new ones...

-Yes to all day Saturday

-A “Maybe” for spouse and I for dinner on Saturday. Depends where you decide to go. Tend to be a meat eater,  would even try beaver.

-Sunday we will be heading home. 

Thanks for all the organization Kerry!

More like lack of organization! Yes to drinks and Show and Tell on Friday. We are going to see if we can talk RobertM out of his room again for it so the hotel doesn't hold us up for the party room. They wanted so much for it this year that I just said no!

Dinner is at the college as we have done it before - we eat in the kitchen and joke around with Dave who cooks it for us. He said he doesn't have any beaver in the freezer this year but he might find something else interesting.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

More like lack of organization! Yes to drinks and Show and Tell on Friday. We are going to see if we can talk RobertM out of his room again for it so the hotel doesn't hold us up for the party room. They wanted so much for it this year that I just said no!

Dinner is at the college as we have done it before - we eat in the kitchen and joke around with Dave who cooks it for us. He said he doesn't have any beaver in the freezer this year but he might find something else interesting.

Bummer on no beaver :P

• Like 2

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

Beets3

pastyani

lambrecht gourmet

Beth Wilson

DC Hayden

VistaGardens

TinaB

Master's Class - Bars 

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

YetiChocolates

pastryani

lambrecht gourmet

Beth Wilson

Chocoera

DC Hayden

VistaGardens

Saturday Night Dinner

curls

RobertM

Chocolot

Matthew Hayday

YetiChocolates

pastryani (lacto ovo vegetarian)

Beets3

Beth Wilson (allergic to mushrooms) - did I mention the wonderful mushroom soup that Dave makes?

DC Hayden

VistaGardens

TinaB

Hi Kerry-

Thanks for your tireless work on all this.  Please sign me up for Thursday, both master classes and whatever else there is.  For all.  Folks start heading out on Sunday night, right?  If anyone is going up to Ottawa, I'd love to hitch a ride.