• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Workshop 2018 Niagara on the Lake

Kerry Beal

Attendees:

RobertM

gfron1 (tentative)

pastryani

tikidoc (perhaps +1)

ChocolateMom

Audrey Brown

TandemChocoPC

Chocolot

MelissaH (pending)

Beets3

YetiChocolates (very big maybe)

• 2 weeks later...

Attendees:

RobertM

gfron1 (tentative)

pastryani

tikidoc (perhaps +1)

ChocolateMom

Audrey Brown

TandemChocoPC

Chocolot

MelissaH (pending)

Beets3

VistaGardens

6 hours ago, curls said:

Keeping an eye on this! When do you think you'll be ready to post info on the hotel block... about 3 months out?

I just need to get a round tuit!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I just need to get a round tuit!

Jeesh! You have plenty of free time.  xD

Just kidding! While it is great to follow your travel adventures, you are keeping one heck of a schedule! Maybe your next invention should be EZtravel.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Attendees:

RobertM

gfron1 (tentative)

pastryani

tikidoc (perhaps +1)

ChocolateMom

Audrey Brown

TandemChocoPC

Chocolot

MelissaH (pending)

Beets3

VistaGardens

Diana D

Attendees:

RobertM

gfron1 (tentative)

pastryani

tikidoc (perhaps +1)

ChocolateMom

Audrey Brown

TandemChocoPC

Chocolot

MelissaH (pending)

Beets3

VistaGardens

Diana D

Gwbyls (a very strong maybe)

• Like 1

Attendees:

RobertM

gfron1 (tentative)

pastryani

tikidoc (perhaps +1)

ChocolateMom

Audrey Brown

TandemChocoPC

Chocolot

MelissaH (pending)

Beets3

VistaGardens

Diana D

Chocoera + 1 staff 

Attendees:

RobertM

gfron1 (tentative)

pastryani

tikidoc (perhaps +1)

ChocolateMom

Audrey Brown

TandemChocoPC

Chocolot

MelissaH (pending)

Beets3

VistaGardens

Diana D

Chocoera + 1 staff 

Beth Wilson (tentative)

Some preliminary gabbing between @Alleguede and I while we were in Seattle - thinking of Friday masters classes - one on making nut pastes, praliné etc - the other on bars - and by bars we mean faux twix, nougat, layered bars with caramel etc. 

Thoughts on what you might like to do on Friday if not attending the Masters classes? Would some be into crossing the border to visit Tomric - or prefer to hang around the Niagara Peninsula drinking too much wine?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Some preliminary gabbing between @Alleguede and I while we were in Seattle - thinking of Friday masters classes - one on making nut pastes, praliné etc - the other on bars - and by bars we mean faux twix, nougat, layered bars with caramel etc. 

Thoughts on what you might like to do on Friday if not attending the Masters classes? Would some be into crossing the border to visit Tomric - or prefer to hang around the Niagara Peninsula drinking too much wine?

I want both the class and Tomric:)

• Like 1

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

1 minute ago, Chocolot said:

I want both the class and Tomric:)

Of course you do! As do I - we might need to add Thursday for Tomric.

I'm working on the hotel block - the weekend we have chosen is the May 24 long weekend in Canada I discovered today - so the really good rates we have seen in previous years are not going to be happening on the weekend days. More sharing I suspect to keep costs down. I've gotten them to add a couple of days on both sides to the block for people who want to stay longer - those are at a better rate. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, quiet1 said:

Could someone tell me more about what's involved? I'm very curious but also have very very limited candy making experience. 

@quiet1 - look in the search function for 'report workshop' and a year - that will bring up our previous reports and you can see what we have gotten up to (we've been at this since 2008 but in the beginning ones search for 'report of chocolate and confection'. It is essentially a DIY workshop where we teach each other what we know - with the masters classes being a recently new addition. Limited candy making experience isn't really detrimental - the beauty of it is you get to try things that are anxiety provoking when you are trying to do them by yourself at home, under the tutelage of someone else who has done it before.

• Like 1

@quiet1 here are links to some of the earlier workshops. The more recent ones can be found using Kerry's search instructions.

2012 Candy and Confection Conference http://forums.egullet.org/topic/142246-report-2012-candy-and-confection-conference/ (Woodbridge, VA)

2011 conference http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/138760-report-eg-chocolate-and-confectionery-conference-2011/ (Niagara on the Lake, ON)

2010 conference http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/132886-report-eg-chocolate-and-confectionery-conference-2010/ (Gaithersburg, MD)

2009 conference http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/123427-reporteg-chocolate-and-confectionery-conference/ (Niagara on the Lake, ON)

Edited by curls (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2017 at 8:50 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Of course you do! As do I - we might need to add Thursday for Tomric.

I'm working on the hotel block - the weekend we have chosen is the May 24 long weekend in Canada I discovered today - so the really good rates we have seen in previous years are not going to be happening on the weekend days. More sharing I suspect to keep costs down. I've gotten them to add a couple of days on both sides to the block for people who want to stay longer - those are at a better rate. 

Sorry to be a nag but I would like to know if the hotel block has been finalized. If it has, what is the code and what are the rates?

1 hour ago, curls said:

Sorry to be a nag but I would like to know if the hotel block has been finalized. If it has, what is the code and what are the rates?

Just signing the papers today!

• Like 1

Ok - here we go 

Phone number for Hilton Garden Inn - 905 984 4200

address 500 York Road, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario

The rates are accessed but identifying yourself as part of the EGullet Chocolate Conference - booking code is ECB18

It is a long weekend in Canada so the rates aren't as good as other years - the suggestion that we change our dates to get better rates was not entertained by me!

There are taxes on top of the quoted rates

Tuesday 15th, wed 16th, Thurs 17th - $119 

Friday, Sat and Sun 18-20 - $189

I asked for a few rooms on the following Monday and Tuesday - I'll let you know the rate for that when it's confirmed

So call and reserve - last day to do so is April 17th.  

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1