• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HELP! Flank Steak Question

Kim Shook

I have a quick question about cutting a flank steak.  I know that the general rule is to cut across the grain.  I'm doing a recipe that I haven't done in years.  The way that this is prepared is to cut the steak into 1/2-inch strips.  The strips are coiled around to make a patty, if you will - about the size of a hamburger patty.  They are then marinated for a few hours and grilled.  My recipe directions say to cut the strips "lengthwise", which seems to me to mean WITH the grain.  Like I said, I haven't made this in years and don't remember how I did it then.  I know that it turned out very tender and flavorful.  My instinct is telling me to cut the strips against the grain.  What do you think?  Is there something I'm missing with the coiling and the way that it will be cut by the person eating it that tells you the strips should be cut with the grain?  Thanks!!!

I remember just one recipe that I made where the flank was PC'd in strips; the instructions were to cut the strips with the grain so when they were cut into bites they were then cut against the drain.  I turned very good.

Maybe it really doesn't matter?

I say cut across the grain.

Don't worry if the strips are too short to coil into a "burger patty" shape. You can always wind another strip starting where the previous one left off, repeat this until you get the desired size of "patty". If you're worried it might fall apart, a long wooden skewer (or two) can hold it altogether until after it's cooked.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Too much decision-making pressure. You don't need the stress. Just forget about it and bake a potato.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

I say cut across the grain.

Don't worry if the strips are too short to coil into a "burger patty" shape. You can always wind another strip starting where the previous one left off, repeat this until you get the desired size of "patty". If you're worried it might fall apart, a long wooden skewer (or two) can hold it altogether until after it's cooked.

Thank you all!  THIS is exactly what I did.  Mr. Kim is getting ready to grill them, so I'll post later and let you know what happened.  They will taste good, I'm sure of that, at least!

• Like 4