• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

GlorifiedRice

Someone stands up for Guy Fieri

I am one of those haters in some sense but this guy was great and 100% right.

I'm not aware of people widely criticizing him because of his appearance. Maybe they do, but as far as I can tell, the "hating" started when he opened his travesty of a restaurant, and when his shtick started getting old. I mean, even Emeril had a shelf life.

And sorry, in a foxhole I'd pick Bourdain over Fieri in a heartbeat.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 2

I dislike him Fieri almost as much as I dislike Michael Symon.  Both are loud and boorish and obnoxious.

While I can't disagree with most of the points (funny, too!), I have to say I'd prefer Bourdain in a foxhole too -- he strikes me as someone who'd go totally berserk on the enemy. Then again, he could go nuts and break a truce or something, and, as Shane Torres said, get everyone killed.

Is this a new game? Who'd you rather be in a foxhole with -- Channing Tatum or Chris Pine? Kevin Bacon or Kiefer Sutherland? Mario Batali or Bobby Flay...?

Edited by BeatriceB (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I used to absolutely love Anthony.....not so much anymore.

He had his time and his place in media, though, as did Guy.

• Like 4

Not a big Guy Fieri fan, but that was funny. In truth I never knew about the stuff he does. I don't hate him, I hate his image. All the "good works" are not really part of his image. And in a foxhole, he's right, I'd want Fieri. Bourdain would save only himself. (I hate Bourdain. Or at least I hate his image.)

I am absolutely sure that somewhere on eG I have read a transcript of an interview with Fieri where he states that all the wild hair and flamboyant embellishment are part of his TV personality and he thinks it's a crazy as the next person. I can't remember where I found it and have been unsuccessful in searching. I don't know why I think this, and I am usually WRONG on these speculations, but I think it was @chromedome's link where I read it somewhere?

That is really cool though, that he covers his employees with health care of his own volition, I think. You can't judge everyone on appearance alone.

• Like 3