• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommended Sous Vide Circulator?

boilsover

4 minutes ago, boilsover said:

That's the deal I bit on...

However, these are refurbished units at that price.  I had to return my first one because the display was malfunctioning after the first use.  We'll see how #2 does.

I appreciate the warning. Now I'll be sure to start testing it / using it when it arrives. @boilsover I hope your replacement works Anova is trouble free.  Were they easy to work with on the first problem unit?

Just now, curls said:

Were they easy to work with on the first problem unit?

Extremely easy and pleasant.  Replacement was sent the next day, even before I got the bad one on a truck.

It may have helped that I sent a photo of the misbehaving display.

Hopefully you won't have any problem.  It's the same 1-year warranty as with new units, so I wouldn't worry.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the original first generation Anova until it crapped out a few months ago.  I replaced it with the Joule, which is much more nicely built and engineered is much easier to store, and more cool generally.  But, while I have no complaints at all about it, I think I'm starting to realize that I don't enjoy using the Joule as much as I enjoyed using my Anova, because of the fiddly-ness of needing to use it through my iPhone.  Don't get me wrong, it absolutely works, and I would not dissuade anybody from buying it, but there is something about having to control it that way which I'm not really digging.

There are times that I want two simultaneous cooks, and I think I'll buy the new Anova as well, and will probably make that my main unit.   

• Like 1

@IEATRIO 

if you are thinking about the ' new ' anova that's bait smaller

pay attention to the Maximum gap the attachment screw allows

its smaller than before

this might not make a difference to you viz-a-viz  your cooking vessels  

but as far as I can tell it won't fin in any of the BeerCoolers I have

I give credit to this analysis to the OP that spotted this

1 hour ago, IEATRIO said:

... I'm starting to realize that I don't enjoy using the Joule as much as I enjoyed using my Anova, because of the fiddly-ness of needing to use it through my iPhone.  Don't get me wrong, it absolutely works, and I would not dissuade anybody from buying it, but there is something about having to control it that way which I'm not really digging.

that's the crux of it for me, and why I WOULD dissuade anyone from getting it

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, weedy said:

that's the crux of it for me, and why I WOULD dissuade anyone from getting it

A mere "like" can't possibly convey my agreement strongly enough.  This Smartphone Uber Alles sycophancy is getting so tiresome...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Shalmanese said:

Anecdotally, I've found from my friends that those who just have the Joule use it way less than those who have both a Joule and an Alexa. The ability to voice command the Joule removes a lot of fiddliness vs using the smartphone app.

Yet is lame in it's own inimitable way.  Alexa, how do I tie my shoe?

• 10 months later...

I have been using anova for years although I started with an immersion circulator I built myself until it fried during an experiment. Then I bought a second-hand polyscience until I dropped it in the water (I'm clumsy, what can I say...) and although I managed to save it became noisy and I ended up giving it to a friend. I currently own a couple of anova cookers. They're a couple of generations apart but I love them both. They don't require the app (not sure if the newest one does), super simple to use and decent wattage.  I mean, I abuse these things since I'm always cooking for myself or my blog (again, myself). 

https://thatothercookingblog.com

cheers! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thatothercook said:

I have been using anova for years although I started with an immersion circulator I built myself until it fried during an experiment. Then I bought a second-hand polyscience until I dropped it in the water (I'm clumsy, what can I say...) and although I managed to save it became noisy and I ended up giving it to a friend. I currently own a couple of anova cookers. They're a couple of generations apart but I love them both. They don't require the app (not sure if the newest one does), super simple to use and decent wattage.  I mean, I abuse these things since I'm always cooking for myself or my blog (again, myself). 

https://thatothercookingblog.com

cheers! 

I love my Anova. Have no interest in voice, bluetooth or wifi controlling it; I'm fine with pushing a button. Have not used a Joule, but I'll admit the smaller size is attractive. 

I cut my sous vide chops on the SideKic circulator several of us on here bought when it was in development mode. I liked it; a little clunky, a little awkward, but I used it until it died, and then I got an Anova.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com