• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommended Sous Vide Circulator?

boilsover

On 9/24/2017 at 10:29 AM, David Ross said:

I have to admit I was skeptical of anything to do with Sous Vide in the past. I think it was my disregard during the "molecular gastronomy" phase that was gaining so much popularity in restaurants.  I think I was becoming too snooty in thinking anything like sous vide was an accepted method of cooking.  How silly I was in thinking through such a narrow hole.  But now, after having seen the results and knowing the possibilities, I'm using all of your feedback to purchase one. And boy do I have ideas on how to use it.

I actually own an Anova that was used only once.  I would be happy to send it to you for just the shipping costs.

On 9/25/2017 at 5:10 PM, Coogles said:

Thanks, Coogles.  I bought the Anova v1.0 for $89 and free shipping at your link..  In the YouTube vid another person linked to, it looked like Anova had the strongest water circulation, too.   FWIW, they're refurbished units, but WTH, for $89!  Still have a 1-year warranty.

Edited by boilsover (log)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 12:11 PM, btbyrd said:

Joule is my favorite circulator out of all the circulators

I'm hoping they'll discount them during the holiday season. :)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I understand the Joule, which I've never seen in the flesh, is significantly smaller than the Anova. If anyone has both, I'd love to see a side by side pic for comparison purposes.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

602732A3-CC06-40D2-A4B4-B497D3910916.thumb.jpeg.a317c8e77d65e0924251c14d2432be5e.jpeg

A better photographer will be along soon but in the meantime here you go.  The developer version of the ANOVA on the right and the Joule on the left. 

7DC538F5-C0DC-4FB5-B061-FC643C1F3AFA.thumb.jpeg.e64eb7a88dc2fbdd5b3e8799e578d697.jpeg

The ANOVA 1.0 

is the red one but it is pretty much identical to the developer version. I don’t know if the version currently available is the same size.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

602732A3-CC06-40D2-A4B4-B497D3910916.thumb.jpeg.a317c8e77d65e0924251c14d2432be5e.jpeg

A better photographer will be along soon but in the meantime here you go.  The developer version of the ANOVA on the right and the Joule on the left. 

7DC538F5-C0DC-4FB5-B061-FC643C1F3AFA.thumb.jpeg.e64eb7a88dc2fbdd5b3e8799e578d697.jpeg

The ANOVA 1.0 

is the red one but it is pretty much identical to the developer version. I don’t know if the version currently available is the same size.

Isn't anyone else put off by the plastic housing on the Joule?  I also wonder about putting a 1100W element and small impeller into that housing.

But the small size would be better for storage.

The Joule's plastic housing, impeller, and machining is as nice (or nicer) and easier to clean than my $799 Polyscience circulator. The heater is specially engineered and has a radically different design from everything else on the market. And it's waterproof. And smaller. And lighter. And magnetic. And it disassembles oh so nicely. And you can use it with almost no water. And it doesn't eat up the container with its giant profile. And it's quiet. 

So long story short... no. I don't care that it has a synthetic housing. It's a quality synthetic housing. Metal wouldn't make it better, just different. 

Edited by btbyrd (log)

11 hours ago, btbyrd said:

The Joule's plastic housing, impeller, and machining is as nice (or nicer) and easier to clean than my $799 Polyscience circulator. The heater is specially engineered and has a radically different design from everything else on the market. And it's waterproof. And smaller. And lighter. And magnetic. And it disassembles oh so nicely. And you can use it with almost no water. And it doesn't eat up the container with its giant profile. And it's quiet. 

So long story short... no. I don't care that it has a synthetic housing. It's a quality synthetic housing. Metal wouldn't make it better, just different. 

OK, that's your vote, and all you've said makes sense.  I just have a preference for SS over plastic.

The only advantage that stainless would offer over the extruded polycarbonate housing is aesthetic. Stainless housings on other circulators make them easier to clean and maintain than the same circulator made out of plastic. And that also makes them more durable. But neither of those advantages would transfer over to an all-metal-housing Joule. It'd look pretty cool though.

I'm still plugging away with the original ANOVA and two old Sous Vide Magics.

Unfortunately, over time, the skirt doesn't fit tightly...so it tends to flop around coming in contact with the impeller. :S

I need to be very careful when mounting it.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

this review allows you to see all the hardware and is a fair assessment :

Thanks.  I had seen this before.  Those guys are a stitch.

I too have an old SVMagic.

bit of rust on it

no matter

I use that for Very Big SV'd  in an upstairs bathroom

the large Coleman Cooler fits 25 - 30  individual ++  bags

I only max out on it when CornedBeef goes on sale before St.P's day in my area

I run that 2 + times.

and freeze.

I like them.

lots of Beef and Testosterone

no matter

they do some very interesting comparisons and I feel they are honest about it :

Butter ?  no Butter ?

and they do Fish.

one town over there is a Brazilian population

lucky me

two meat stores

I plan eventually to go to both and look for just the right sized 

Picahna   

thanks to them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

The only advantage that stainless would offer over the extruded polycarbonate housing is aesthetic.

Maybe.  In pretty much every other choice I've ever made between SS and plastic, plastic has been less durable, long-lived and gotten more beat up over time.  Parts change dimension over time, get brittle, discolored, tabs break off, etc., etc.

I guess I'm a Luddite, because I almost always choose corded over battery, and manual over electronic, glass over polycarb when I have a meaningful choice.

If you use the magnet, how high off the pan floor is the "Max" mark on the Joule?  IOW, what is the maximum bath depth when it sits on the bottom?  I guess from what you said above, there is a very small minimum fill, but why would anyone want a really shallow bath?

8 inches. Which is plenty for most things. If you need more, you can use the clip... but apart from my stock pots, I don't have a magnetic vessel in my kitchen that's taller than the Joule. The nice thing about the minimum water depth is that you don't have to drag out a huge container to cook something small. (And you wouldn't be using the magnet to cook anything big anyway.) I can "poach" eggs for myself in a 1 quart pot, or a couple steaks in a 4-quart pot. Previously to do a couple eggs for myself, I'd use the Polyscience with an 8-Quart Cambro -- and even that wasn't quite big enough. Being able to run Joule with very little water means that the bath is ready in no time, and you can pretty much just grab whatever container you want. For real.

People always say "You can SV in anything really.... just use a pot!" but it's not really true. When you clamp a circulator to the side of a pot, it's going to eat that pot. It's going to be giant and look stupid. That doesn't happen with Joule. It's so small that you need to descale it, you run with some vinegar inside a Mason jar. A freaking jar!

For me, the magnetic foot and the ability to use low water levels is less about cooking in just an inch (and a half) of water and more about just being able to use whatever vessel you want without having to think about it. I used to think that the CS gang was being weird when they'd use Joule in SS pots and dutch ovens and enameled cast iron containers all the time, rather than using big ol' polycarbonate containers. But it makes sense to me now, having had a Joule for almost a year. I don't find myself needing to break out big Cambros for SV cooking anymore (big things and batches aside) but most often just reach for a pot (or a small Cambro).

• Like 4

6 hours ago, btbyrd said:

8 inches.

Thanks.  Gosh, the whole shebang is only 11".  From the photos, it looks like the cord would be  <8" off the deck.  Is the cord connection also submersible?

On 9/25/2017 at 8:10 PM, Coogles said:

Enablers. Darn it, resistance was futile! Thanks for the information @Coogles, guess I'm going to need to read that Sous vide for a newbie thread a bit more closely. My Anova is on the way!  :-)

32 minutes ago, curls said:

Enablers. Darn it, resistance was futile! Thanks for the information @Coogles, guess I'm going to need to read that Sous vide for a newbie thread a bit more closely. My Anova is on the way!  :-)

That's the deal I bit on...

However, these are refurbished units at that price.  I had to return my first one because the display was malfunctioning after the first use.  We'll see how #2 does.