• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommended Sous Vide Circulator?

boilsover

If there's still room on the bandwagon, I'd like to buy my first immersion circulator for sous vide.  I don't want the "oven" (the integrated bath appliance), and I don't especially care about Bluetooth and smartphone app features.  What I do care about is ease-of-use, power, and ruggedness/durability.  A legible display and louder sounds would also be nice.  I might also want to sometimes do larger joints in a cooler, rather than single-serve in a small Cambro. Whether I end up using this every day or once a year, I don't want to have to buy another circulator.

The reviews on Amazon don't seem to show any that clearly stand out.

What say you?  Thanks.

Edited by boilsover (log)

I LOVE my Joule  but will acknowledge its limitations in that it does need an app. Before the Joule came along I had the ANOVA and still would not give it up. I think it is much more likely to meet your needs and it has been highly regarded by users on this forum. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Second the Anova. Mine has a Bluetooth function. I don't use it. It has enough power to cook a Coleman cooler full of ribs (long as you start with hot water, anyway). It's been steady and dependable and done everything I've asked it to do. And they periodically run sales on them.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My Anova can run from an app or by manual control. It has a bright, easily read screen with a thumbwheel control. Although I prefer the size and quiet operation of my Joule, I agree with Anna N that the Anova would suit your needs better.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

43 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I love my original version anova, no apps.  But I doubt they are still available.

eBay has them for around $100, some are new-in-box.

I'm happy enough with my original "classic" Anova.  Its a bit big (so what), doesn't have a height-adjustable clamp ( a minor inconvenience) and has a keypad to enter time and temp ( a big advantage ).

I'm all in favor of improvements, but wireless control of a SV machine seems like a pointless advance.

And who wants North Korean hackers messing with my tri-tip?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, gfweb said:

And who wants North Korean hackers messing with my tri-tip?

Oh I don't know.  A gochujang  glaze and some banchan might not be so bad. xD

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I have the original Anova (Anova One) and the bluetooth Anova Precision. Advantages of the One is being able to set the temp to 1/10 º vs. 1/2 º for the Precision. Also, I have no use for bluetooth. Setting the timer on the One is easy, but is so convoluted on the Precision that I use a separate timer.

• Like 1

Monterey Bay area

the lower end model Polysciences are very plastic-y... and still pricey.

I don't like the idea of having to use an app to control an appliance.

Sous Vide Supreme broke the price barrier when real circulators were still selling for $1500.

Now that they're about $100, a non-circulating water bath makes no sense.

I vote strongly  for the Anova.

• Like 1

I also recumbent the SV everything video above

Ive also leanred a few things from them

the Anova bluetooth  frequently goes on wall for about 110.  

I did play w the app for ' fun ' but never use it.

I too had the original Anova.   Mine was noisy.  I gave it to my local library and people 

" check it out ' to see w SV is for them.

consider a beer cooler for your container.

I have several in different sizes.

easy to move around and store when empty.

Edited by rotuts (log)

13 hours ago, gfweb said:

FWIW I'm happy with the sous vide supreme too. Once upon a time it was the cheapest. Only disadvantage is the counterspace it occupies. So I keep it in the cellar.

I re-homed mine because it took up so much room.   But while I had it I found it very satisfactory. 

My 2004 eG Blog

I have to admit I was skeptical of anything to do with Sous Vide in the past. I think it was my disregard during the "molecular gastronomy" phase that was gaining so much popularity in restaurants.  I think I was becoming too snooty in thinking anything like sous vide was an accepted method of cooking.  How silly I was in thinking through such a narrow hole.  But now, after having seen the results and knowing the possibilities, I'm using all of your feedback to purchase one. And boy do I have ideas on how to use it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, David Ross said:

I have to admit I was skeptical of anything to do with Sous Vide in the past. I think it was my disregard during the "molecular gastronomy" phase that was gaining so much popularity in restaurants.  I think I was becoming too snooty in thinking anything like sous vide was an accepted method of cooking.  How silly I was in thinking through such a narrow hole.  But now, after having seen the results and knowing the possibilities, I'm using all of your feedback to purchase one. And boy do I have ideas on how to use it.

You will have so much fun!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, boilsover said:

Thanks.  How long have you had the Polyscience, and do you use it frequently?

I can't remember exactly when I got it but it was a Christmas present one year, at least 6 years ago.  I don't think the others were out yet, or if they were, we didn't know about them.  I use it probably once a week.  The things I use it for are mainly steaks, long cooks for tougher beef cuts, pork roasts and pork chops and chicken breasts.  It heats the water fairly quickly and I am happy with it.  

• Like 1

I also have a Polyscience in the big container.  Bought it in 2010.  I use it about once a week.  It is excellent for large amount of food because it has a strong circulator which moves the water around really well.  Also very good for long cooks as the water doesn't seem to evaporate too much with the lid on.  The first plastic container just cracked on the bottom and the replacement was $100:(

• Like 2

I have the Sous Vide Supreme and it works very well.  I still use it when I am doing a long cook.  I also have a Joule and I use it most of the time now, especially for short cooks.  It works extremely well, is quiet, comes up to temp very fast and doesn't take up much space.  You need an app, but if you have an Amazon Echo or Dot, you can use voice commands to control it.  I do that about half the time, the other half I use the app's convenient guides to set time and temp.  I rarely turn it off with the app as you can do that with the button on top.

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Just got an email from ChefSteps, makers of Joule.  If anyone wants one you can follow this link: http://chefsteps.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=9f69331c823fb9ca452fe5184&id=b813053348&e=0050e63d63 and get $30 off and I get a $30 gift card!  This offer is good for today and tomorrow (9/25 and 9/26).

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs