• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vanilla sticker shock

pastrygirl

I've noticed Vanilla extract prices dropping at my local Costco.  I think they are down to $25/pint from $35/ pint a few years ago.  Is this representative of the rest of the market right now?

• Like 1

Haven’t seen the slofoodsgroup website. Looks good. I’ve been buying my Vanilla beans and Saffron from Vanilla Saffron Imports saffron.com. Originally it was because of saffron (which is great, and I am pretty particular about saffron), but they used to offer a chefs quality vanilla beans which were shorter and not as even in length as first quality, but just as good. I used to use more vanilla beans when I did more home brewing, and had a popular vanilla porter. Now it’s just a few beans here and there, and I was also surprised at the price increase after my last large (for me) order ran out. Anyhow, I’d be interested in trying out their Uganda vanilla beans with the Ugandan nibs I’ve bought to make chocolate.

Little known fact about me. My avatar as I guess you’d call it, or my profile picture is of my dog whose name is Saffron. It’s an important spice to me, and she is more precious than the most expensive spice. She’s over 13 years old now and still totally spunky. I’ll never regret giving her that name, nor adopting her as a pound puppy. She’s the best dog, beautiful, sweet, incredibly smart, and just an all around great friend. I wish she could live forever!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Douglas K said:

Haven’t seen the slofoodsgroup website. Looks good. I’ve been buying my Vanilla beans and Saffron from Vanilla Saffron Imports saffron.com. Originally it was because of saffron (which is great, and I am pretty particular about saffron), but they used to offer a chefs quality vanilla beans which were shorter and not as even in length as first quality, but just as good. I used to use more vanilla beans when I did more home brewing, and had a popular vanilla porter. Now it’s just a few beans here and there, and I was also surprised at the price increase after my last large (for me) order ran out. Anyhow, I’d be interested in trying out their Uganda vanilla beans with the Ugandan nibs I’ve bought to make chocolate.

Little known fact about me. My avatar as I guess you’d call it, or my profile picture is of my dog whose name is Saffron. It’s an important spice to me, and she is more precious than the most expensive spice. She’s over 13 years old now and still totally spunky. I’ll never regret giving her that name, nor adopting her as a pound puppy. She’s the best dog, beautiful, sweet, incredibly smart, and just an all around great friend. I wish she could live forever!

Aww! Mellow Yellow.....I'm just mad about Saffron, she's just mad about me.....

• Like 1

Price on vanilla has definitely dropped; significantly since the shortage of just a few years ago. I've used saffron.com, vanilla products.com, and villa vanilla for Mexican beans. And various other places for saffron.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?